Sesame Street Water: A Multi-media Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Intervention for Children and their Caregivers in Bangladesh, India and Nigeria

16.8k views

Page selection:
  • VikasR

Re: Sesame Street Water: A Multi-media Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Intervention for Children and their Caregivers in Bangladesh, India and Nigeria

Hi June,

Would be good to talk to someone from your India team on phone to start with, my mobile no to get in touch is 9173204158.

Many thanks,

Vikas

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • junelee
  • Topic Author

Re: Sesame Street Water: A Multi-media Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Intervention for Children and their Caregivers in Bangladesh, India and Nigeria

Hi Vikas,

Please let me know the best way for our India team to get in touch with you. They will follow up. Thank you!

Best,
June

• junelee
  • Topic Author

Hi Suraja,
That's a great question. We're in the middle of wrapping up research on our pilot projects in all three countries and will be better able to assess the impact of the project/messaging then. Stay tuned!

• junelee
  • Topic Author

Apologies for the delayed reply! It wouldn't be a problem to share the videos, Mouaamfom Mama. We would need a Memorandum of Understanding (which Sesame Workshop can draft) with your organization that would guide the use of the videos. Please get in touch with me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. if you'd like to move forward with this. Thank you!

• sjraj

Hi June,

Thanks so much for sharing this information about your exciting work. I had the pleasure of learning about you and your team's work at the BMGF WASH partners workshop in Delhi back in April. As a huge Sesame Street fan since childhood myself, I'm very excited to hear about the work that Sesame Workshop is doing to better understand behavior change messaging in WASH and that the foundation is supporting your work. :)

I am interested in learning more about your mass media/community engagement components and how they differ at the three different sites. I know that you are in the midst of pilot projects currently, but what are some of the differences and similarities that you see in the uptake of these messages between urban/peri-urban/rural settings? Also, how did you decide to work in India, Bangladesh, and Nigeria?

Best regards,

Suraja
Suraja Raj, MPH
Program Associate
Center for Global Safe Water
Rollins School of Public Health-Hubert Department of Global Health
Emory University
1518 Clifton Road, NE
MS: 002-7BB CNR 6040F
Atlanta, GA 30322
Tel:+001-404-727-5977

• kengelly

And if you're in Washington, DC -- it looks like Raya may be making an appearance next week!

Info here and in the attached flyer.
www.worldbank.org/en/events/2015/06/10/t...-role-in-development

Genevieve Kelly
Graduate Student | MBA & MPH
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD USA | tel: 570-854-5075 skype: kengelly
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Mouamfon Mama from Cameroon,

I noticed that you posted on 3 May in this thread and asked about the videos. Do you mean the videos of Raya that are available on Youtube? If you want to have them available offline, then you can download them from Youtube.

I have used this website in the past to download videos from Youtube to my computer. It works really well:
www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001002.htm

Or were you referring to videos about Raya that are not yet on Youtube?

Perhaps I should find out from June Lee if there are additional videos apart from the ones mentioned above.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• VikasR

Hi June,

Thanks for your reply; Sincerely appreciate it :), haven't heard from your team in India yet; so just thought I'll buzz you briefly

Hoping to hear back

Vikas

• Mama

really like this sesame Street. I amworking for an NGO based in Cameroon. specially in the area of environmental Education. Would like to receive these video. need help for that if any one could advise.
Thanks

• junelee
  • Topic Author

Dear Vikas,

Thank you for getting in touch! I'm happy to pass along your information to our team in India and get you all connected.

Best regards,
June

• VikasR

Hi June,

It's great to know about the Sesame Street Water initiative and about the muppet Raya who's the face for this initiative!
I work on water very closely right now as part of the secretariat of the Fluoride Knowledge and Action network www.fluorideindia.org which is an association of people at a national level in india who are trying to put minds together on working on the Fluorosis situation.
Fluorosis which is a deadly disabling disease that has been fast spreading, particularly affecting rural populations in the country.
Groundwater in India is the biggest source of drinking water for people in rural india, but groundwater is fast depleting now in the country because of its over exploitation which is making people vulnerable, having to go deeper into the aquifers for water (particularly people in rural India. and the deeper people are going the more fluoride they are getting.
Drinking this water is leading to crippling disabilities for people because when fluoride is entering their body it’s attacking their bones severely by replacing calcium and it itself depositing on them, thereby weakening the composition of their bones.
Children have been the worst sufferers in all of this and are a neglected lot!
We need to act and we need to act quickly to prevent this disease from spreading too far
Messages on Fluorosis therefore, i.e. how is it caused? what does it do? how it can be prevented need to go out fast and these messages need to go out to to children first, children in communities, children in schools.
I was thinking; it would therefore be good idea if somehow these messages on Fluorosis could go through the Sesame Street Water Initiative (seeing it's popularity among kids) to some communities to start with.
We could also maybe think about the possibility of trying this out in a particular first as well through a pilot or something

We at The Fluoride Knowledge and Action Network www.fluorideindia.org would be really happy to help!
more on Fluorosis-http://www.indiawaterportal.org/topics/fluoride check out our facebook group-https://www.facebook.com/groups/fluorideindia/

Hope to hear from you soon

Vikas
Policy Advocacy and Communications Manager
The Fluoride Knowledge and Action Network
www.fluorideindia.org
Facebook group-https://www.facebook.com/groups/fluorideindia/

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

I had a quick look on Youtube for the "water+sanitation muppet" Raya and found these three:

This one is for World Water Day which is today!

This one is called "Raya tells you why toilets are important":

And this one is called "Sesame Workshop's Muppet Friend Raya Encourages Proper Hygiene"

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds