From Shit to Silk: the reuse of untreated wastewater and faecal sludge in a small town in Karnataka, India

Page selection:
  • Vishwanath

Re: From Shit to Silk: the reuse of untreated wastewater and faecal sludge in a small town in Karnataka, India

Thanks Heiner for your comment.
Indeed the regulatory space is yoyoing like crazy.
In the context of a developing economy, till the monies are found for investing in wastewater treatment and FSTP's , it is best to work with farmers in developing systems for non consumable
crops like flowers energy plantations or as in this case , mulberry leaves for silk.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Heiner
  • I am a retired organic farmer and interested in nutrient cycles. As an volunteer I now travel mainly to poor countries and together with locals I would like to find new ways of sustainable agriculture. This is beyond the regulations of IFOAM.

Re: From Shit to Silk: the reuse of untreated wastewater and faecal sludge in a small town in Karnataka, India

Dear all,
now I understand the rumours about the new "silk road".....
But isn't it a very good example of your multi barrier approach? As long as the standards are too low and too unsafe for veggie production it is the best thing these people can do! And instead of waiting for the final laws and final regulations (which are improved, or lets say changed, every two years anyway)....they just do it!

Cheers,
Heiner
Heiner, the old farmer.....
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

From Shit to Silk: the reuse of untreated wastewater and faecal sludge in a small town in Karnataka, India

This presentation was given by Vishwanath Srikantaiah (India - Biome Environmental Trust) about "From Shit to Silk: the reuse of untreated wastewater and faecal sludge in a small town - the nudge approach".
www.susana.org/images/SuSanA_Meeting_28/...nath_Srikantaiah.pdf
(or see pdf file attached)

I am putting it here because from time to time people ask about new case study examples about reuse. So here is another one.
It is a bit of a risky one because the farmers are doing it on their own, without treatment and without a regulatory framework. But it's happening so here we go. Thanks to Vishwanath for putthing this presentation together.

This is the last slide from the presentation:

His last bullet point is interesting - and provocative...

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds