In Spanish: Una traducción al español de la página en Wikipedia sobre los UDDT (translation of Wikipedia article on UDDTs from English to Spanish)

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: In Spanish: Una traducción al español de la página en Wikipedia sobre los UDDT

Thanks for this explanation about the translation process, Chris.
And awesome that you've done the article on Arborloo as well!
The Spanish and French versions of the Arborloo article are now better than the English version:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arborloo

Note the available other language versions are available to the left of the article.

In case you're wondering when your Spanish UDDT article would become part of the offline version that is offered by Kiwix, I checked with Stéphane and he answered:

Updates are scheduled every 3-4 months and will come automatically. Download takes a couple of minutes with a 1st-world wifi connexion, but I think discussing application size will be more interesting (about 1+ Gb for English, 35-300 Mb for the others); I’d also be curious to get people’s feedback regarding the importance of images.

We will discuss further at the upcoming webinar next week on 24 November.
See here:
forum.susana.org/component/kunena/146-we...m-cet-stockholm-time

I'd love to see you online then but I know you have a low internet connection speed and even worse the webinar would be in the middle of the night for you. :-(

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: canaday

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • canaday
    Topic Author
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Re: In Spanish: Una traducción al español de la página en Wikipedia sobre los UDDT

Dear Elisabeth,

Thanks for your moral support.

Translation in Wikipedia is slower than a normal translation, since one has to respect the links to bibliography and definition of words, plus in many cases reconstruct the latter.

At first, this went slowly, working online. Then I translated the whole remainder off-line and then cut and pasted it on top of the rough draft that Wikipedia provides, dancing around the links. The rough draft that is provided does not seem to be from Google Translate and should largely be ignored. The good thing is that it maintains the links to citations and tries to reestablish links to definitions of words, which one must contribute considerably to, especially since many pages have not been done in Spanish yet.

I also translated into Spanish and built up the ArborLoo page:
es.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArborLoo
(which already has a great version in French)

I encourage everyone to translate the Wikipedia pages on the topics they find most important, into the languages they speak.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Oh and as an added bonus, this Spanish UDDT article will be in the Medical Wikipedia App, which is a mobile app which provides offline access to health information on Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Medicine/App

This app exists now in 10 languages (Spanish is one of them).

People can download it from Google Playstore to have offline access to a huge number of Wikipedia articles on health topics (including all those that we tagged with the WikiProject Sanitation, like the article on UDDTs).

Note this App is updated several times per year (but not as often as the online version is updated, of course). This means when you download the App now, the new Spanish UDDT article might not yet be included, but it will be in the next update.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Elisabeth

Hi Chris,

I am really happy that you did this translation work on Wikipedia for the UDDT article from English to Spanish! Could you make an estimate how much time it took? And how long was it in comparison to translating a "normal" article from English to Spanish (i.e. not a Wikipedia article)?

The intial translation that Wikipedia suggested, is that based on Google Translate?

What are the other important Wikipedia articles that you would suggest should be translated to Spanish in future?

I hope that other people will follow suit! How about a translation into French next? Cécile? :-)

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. as a reminder: see the overview of our sanitation related work on Wikipedia here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• canaday
    Topic Author
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

In Spanish: Una traducción al español de la página en Wikipedia sobre los UDDT (translation of Wikipedia article on UDDTs from English to Spanish)

Un gran saludo a todos los hispanohablantes que participan en este Foro,

Ya hice la traducción al español de la página en Wikipedia sobre el Inodoro Ecológico Seco con Separación de la Orina (UDDT, por sus siglas en inglés):

es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inodoro_ecol%C3%B3...i%C3%B3n_de_la_orina

Espero que sea útil.

Es relativamente fácil traducir en Wikipedia. Luego de inscribirse como usuario, se señala la opción de Traducción en el menú "Beta" y se ingresa mediante el menú "Contribuciones". El programa da un primer borrador del texto (que es bastante malo), pero lo importante es que mantiene los enlaces a la bibliografía y trata de recrear los enlaces a las palabras.

Invitamos a todos a mejorar las páginas en Wikipedia sobre el saneamiento.

- - -
Hi everyone,

I translated into Spanish the UDDT Wikipedia page (see link above).

It is fairly easy to translate in Wikipedia. After signing up as a user, tick Translation in the Beta Menu, then go in via the Contributions Menu. The program gives you a first draft of the text (which is not very good), but the important thing is that it maintains the links to the bibliography and tries to recreate the links to words.

We invite everyone to improve the Wikipedia pages on sanitation.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, KaiMikkel

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds