Searching for advice: PhD in EcoSan or wastewater treatment and reuse

• MeganGalloway
    Topic Author

Searching for advice: PhD in EcoSan or wastewater treatment and reuse

Hi all,

I have been ​out of the ​field of water ​and sanitation ​for a few ​months (have ​missed it very ​much) and ​believe it is ​time for me to ​take the next ​step and do my ​PhD. The reason ​I have put it ​off for a few ​years is that I ​have been ​searching for a ​relevant and ​challenging ​topic. Some ​background; I ​am a Namibian ​civil engineer ​with a master ​in water & ​environmental ​engineering and ​3 years’ ​experience as a ​process/civil ​engineer in ​South Africa ​and the Middle ​East. I am ​currently ​living in the ​Netherlands and ​aim to do my ​PhD through TU ​Delft or UCT ​but am ​certainly open ​to any school.​ ​

I am less ​technically inclined than ​other process ​engineers and I ​would happily ​include a more ​social aspect ​in my research. ​The topics I am ​leaning towards ​are anything ​that encompasses ​sanitation ​provision, ​water provision,​ nutrient ​recovery and ​sewage ​treatment/​faecal sludge ​management. My ​preference ​would be to ​carry out field ​work in a ​developing ​country, or for ​my work to be ​relevant in a ​developing ​country. ​

I believe that ​the best place ​to look is in ​the field: thus ​have you, the ​water ​professionals, ​encountered any ​interesting and ​relevant topics ​related to ​these? Your ​input would be ​very much ​appreciated. ​Please feel ​free to email ​me at galloway.​mg@gmail.com.​ ​

Best regards

Megan Galloway

I am a graduate of the University of Stellenbosch, class of 2012 with a first class honours degree in Civil Engineering. Thereafter, I completed a masters degree in Water and Environmental Engineering at the University of Bristol and graduated with merit in September 2014. I was employed as a Junior Water Engineer at GIBB consulting engineers for two years and 5 months afterwhich I spent 4 months in Bahrain with AECOM as a project manager. I am working towards my professional registration. I am a registered ECSA Associate, SAICE and Water Engineering RSA member.

As a born Namibian, the future...
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.994 seconds