Compostable sanitary pads: a green solution in menstrual hygiene?

23.1k views

Page selection:
  • lucasdengel
  • Physician (Dr. med.) by educational qualification, working in public hygiene, environmental health and organic farming for the last >30 years. Running a company called EcoPro, based in Auroville in Tamil Nadu, India - see website.

Re: Compostable sanitary pads: a green solution in menstrual hygiene?

Dear Sharmila,
I am eager to know what the compostable pads are made of, at least as eager as Chris in South America. (I am at home in India.) Your website states, "The compostable Anandi pad is produced with locally sourced agriwastes." - While this statement does not deter me - a man, with countryside upbringing, farm work experience, medical studies, working with UDDTs and ecosan solutions - it sounds as if it could keep away urbanites with little understanding of ecological cycles and plant fibres and cellulose and down-to-earth hygiene. In India urban women, the more "educated" the more, are afraid of "germs" and conditioned to keep hygiene issues as far away as possible. I cannot imagine that "agriwastes" as the raw material for a menstrual pad has any positive meaning for them. 
Please clarify.
Thanks a lot, Lucas  
Dr. Lucas Dengel
Executive
EcoPro
Aurosarjan Complex, Auroshilpam
Auroville - 605101, India
website EcoPro: www.ecopro.in
personal e-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Hi Sharmila,

Congrats.

Can you tell us more about what your pads are made of and what the process is like? Are you expanding into other countries? The idea of compostable baby diapers is a BIG step toward sustainability. I would recommend that all of these compostable pads and diapers can simply be dropped into Urine-diverting Dry Toilets.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• SharmilaC

Hello, Sorry we were not part of the forum earlier but with some of your reference we joined in. Our Anandipads is the 1st & only certified ( ISO 17088) fully compostable pads in India. Unfortunately there are several fake claims are there in the market now, who are fooling consumers by normal or oxo-degradable pads and even selling it at 2-3 times cost than of P&G, J&J brands. We have composted our pads in vermi-composting process in lab, field trials in schools, community in Nepal. We are selling our pads pack of 8 for 40 INR for many years. Now we are entering urban market with our ultrathin version(in Amazon and other online portals) with industry 1st BioSAP. A portion of revenue from every purchase of commercial pads will go for providing free pads for needy women & girls in interior villages and those pads will also be produced in our village production unit, thus giving employment opportunities for rural women.  We will also launch fully compostable baby diapers soon at an affordable price. Please feel free to reach out to us for any queries. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: canaday, AjitSeshadri

• davmax
    Topic Author

Would appreciate some clarification. States home made pads, then later return to packet for composting. Latter implies a manufactured product such as Anandi pad. Many thanks.
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear SuSanA Members.

On the subject of Eco friendly home made Sanitary pads, there is sufficient information and as it occurs it has become a normal feature in parts in Rural India.
The cost of each pad is Rs 10 ie @ 0.1 to 0.2 USD. ( 75 Rs = 1 USD).
Awareness can easily be built into this CBM ie Community Business Mechanism ie waste to wealth programs by CBM.
Once used pads are handed over ( returned in same sealed envelope which contained the new ones) to those specific waste handlers who carryout composting-- bio wastes into manure Etc.
Lab tests may be done and ensured that the produces in this path ie compost are bio logically safe for use in farms for fertigation, fish food and others
If this is ensured, a buy-back scheme can be initiated ie community persons are paid say INR 1/- per pad, this CBM can help the poor and needy, also keeping the environmnt clean.( SD practice can be show cased )
We have gathered that there are certain communities who resort to vermi - compostng, ie. use the mechanism to produce manure and worms too.
In fact, vermi- farming is a more gainful CBM as the worms have a lot of good uses and potential for CBM , including assisting community in catching fish from water bodies, streams or local areas.
Here too, it is suggested that compliant tests are done and safe nature of the produces are ensured.
Projects can be progressed as pilot - projects and then conceptualised and propagated Etc.
Issued in the interest of sustainance of CBMs.
Well wishes.
Prof Ajit Seshadri. The Vigyan Vijay Foundation. New Delhi. India. -- NGO ,
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• davmax
    Topic Author

Hi Asha,
Progress is being made by Aakar Innovations, India with the compostable sanitary pad. Now well established in India and they a have now established partners across Africa.  I am sure you would welcome low cost compostable pads that can beneficially disposed via composting.
Aakar are willing to help with establishing local manufacture. Suggest you make contact. Current contact: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Can contact via Whatsapp by mobile phone on +917718844450
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri, povington

• Orchha
  • We have a home-stay in Orchha, Central India, where we have built Ecosan toilets. I now live in Almora on the Nepal border where Green Hills is promoting environment-friendly solid waste management.

Thanks David.

• davmax
    Topic Author

Hopefully a discussion can be generated to enhance understanding and ensure the best solution for sanitary pads for the masses.
Pasting the detail causes loss of format therefore please see the attached. Look forward to inputs.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• davmax
    Topic Author

Hi Asha,
There is no product that I am offering. My role is to promote existing technologies and products that create a positive bio-cycle. Chiefly achieved by the promotion and use of PLA compostable plastic. This plastic together with sewage being processed by bio-digestion. If you are focused on the processing of sewage then I suggest that you contact Sanergy, they have an established process. See this link: www.sanergy.com/
Wishing you well David C

• Orchha
  • We have a home-stay in Orchha, Central India, where we have built Ecosan toilets. I now live in Almora on the Nepal border where Green Hills is promoting environment-friendly solid waste management.

Our organisation, Green Hills Almora, is working on ecological solid waste management in the foothills of the Himalayas. We would be very interested in promoting your product there and perhaps, even manufacturing it. Please let us know where you are located and how we can contact you. I'm travelling abroad at present but would like to get in touch in a month's time. Asha D'Souza www.greenhillsalmora.org

• davmax
    Topic Author

Hi Alice, I feel that I needed to more directly answer your question. I created a response for you but composed to be used more widely. Hope this is helpful.

This message has an attachment file.

• davmax
    Topic Author

Hi Alice,
Thanks for your request. My role has been to promote the vision, contacting all who can contribute, supplying sourcing and process information and encouraging implementation of the complete bio-cycle that includes compostable sanitary pads. The early effort commenced in 2013, see a portion attached. My major effort started in 2018 following advances and discovery of more resources. I am not able to detail the materials used or the process. This is the area of the manufacturers, the requirement was to create a supply of affordable pads for the very poor. Unfortunately I have so far not been able move the low cost manufacturers in Africa to compostables, even though I located sources of substitute compostable material to replace the original Polyethylene.
The Anandi pad in India meets the need and Pryankit has been very helpful in providing the setup cost for production in Africa. I suggest that you contact him: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
There is a great deal of info available, I have attached a 2018 update document for you.

This message has attachments files.

The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds