BSF in Cambodia

Page selection:
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

Re: BSF in Cambodia

Thanks Heiner for sharing this very informative and insightful piece.

Sharing a few key points to piq interest.
  • The company processes wet market waste and food by-products, turning them into high-protein and high-fat feed ingredients. It produces the follwoing four products 
  1. BSF Larvae - A rich source of protein and fat used as animal feed, particularly for poultry, pigs, and aquaculture.
  2. BSF Meal (Ground Larvae): Protein-rich powder used as an alternative to traditional feed ingredients like soybean meal and fishmeal
  3. BSF Oil (Pressed Larvae): A fat-rich feed ingredient for livestock and aquaculture. Also explored as a key component in producing sustainable aviation fuel (SAF)
  4. BSF Frass (Larvae Excrement): A nutrient-rich biofertilizer that can improve soil health, enhance plant growth, and stimulate plant immunity to pests. 
  •  The company is piloting a decentralised production model where local farmers can rear BSF larvae on-site using agricultural waste. The larvae can be collected and processed at a centralised facility. 
The business model particularly piqed my interest because of its potential impact on livelihoods besides improving waste management. 

The article overall seems very biased though - treats BSF as a silver bullet. Not sure if it is so. It would be great if people with related experience could share the challenges involved (if any). Also how does BSF compare with other technologies/products like biochar? 

Thanks
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Heiner
    Topic Author
  • I am a retired organic farmer and interested in nutrient cycles. As an volunteer I now travel mainly to poor countries and together with locals I would like to find new ways of sustainable agriculture. This is beyond the regulations of IFOAM.

BSF in Cambodia

First time I read an article about BSF in Cambodia news. Perhaps it is of interest for somebody here. Cheers!   ​Waste to feed: Local startup tackles carbon emissions and boosts food security | Phnom Penh Post
Heiner, the old farmer.....
The following user(s) like this post: cecile, paresh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds