Evaluating the Physicochemical, Nutrient, and Pathogenic Characteristics of Fecal Sludge for Fertilizer Application: Case from Vadgaon Maval, Maharashtra, India

Page selection:
  • Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

Re: Evaluating the Physicochemical, Nutrient, and Pathogenic Characteristics of Fecal Sludge for Fertilizer Application: Case from Vadgaon Maval, Maharashtra, India

Dear Elisabeth

Thanks for such a encouraging word.
Yes, others studies has been my literature, I learnt and understood a lot from these studies. My study confirms the fertilizer qualities of fecal sludge and the main hindrance is the high pathogen content for its utilization for Indian condition. In addition, this study provides different treatment system required to reduce the pathogen content.  Based on local conditions of case study, unplanted drying bed and co-composting were selected as treatment process.

"Methods to reliably estimate faecal sludge quantities and qualities for the design of treatment technologies and management solutions" has been used in my research work but not in this paper. 

Regards
Chandana

I have completed my BE in civil engineering with a distinction in 2011.
From 2011-2013 I worked as a software engineer in IBM.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.
Currently, I am doing my PhD in faecal sludge management.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Evaluating the Physicochemical, Nutrient, and Pathogenic Characteristics of Fecal Sludge for Fertilizer Application: Case from Vadgaon Maval, Maharashtra, India

Dear Chandana,

Thanks for posting about your research results here! The paper itself is behind a paywall. Perhaps you have an alternative file to share, for example a powerpoint presentation or pre-print?

You wrote:
"The design of FS treatment depends on accurate knowledge of its characteristics" and 
"Thus, collected FS requires treatment by unplanted drying bed and co-composting to be used as fertilizer."

I am wondering if your research results were surprising or revealing in any way, or if they basically confirmed what other studies have shown as well?* I know the variability of faecal sludge characteristics can be huge but at the end of the day the results are always the same, aren't they? Namely: Yes, it has fertiliser qualities. And yes, the pathogen content is high. Treatment is required to reduce the pathogen content as well as the water content to make it more manageable and safer.

Also, I am wondering if you were able to use any of the methods that were described in this publication?:
Methods to reliably estimate faecal sludge quantities and qualities for the design of treatment technologies and management solutions
forum.susana.org/214-vault-content-resea...d-qualities-by-eawag

Regards,
Elisabeth

* With "other studies", I mean for example the data collected in these two books:
Strande, L., Ronteltap, M., Brdjanovic, D. (Eds.) (2014). Faecal Sludge Management (FSM) book - Systems Approach for Implementation and Operation (in English, French and Spanish). International Water Association (IWA) Publishing, UK (ISBN: 9781780404738)
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3591

Tayler, K. (2018). Faecal Sludge and Septage Treatment - A guide for Low and Middle Income Countries. Practical Action Publishing Ltd, Rugby, Warwickshire, UK, ISBN: 978-1-85339-986-2
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3439
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

Evaluating the Physicochemical, Nutrient, and Pathogenic Characteristics of Fecal Sludge for Fertilizer Application: Case from Vadgaon Maval, Maharashtra, India

Dear all,

Kindly provide your valuable feedback on my recent publication.

Abstract: 
Unscientific application of fecal sludge (FS) on agricultural fields in India has led to fecal coliform and heavy metal accumulation in the food chain. The design of FS treatment depends on accurate knowledge of its characteristics, which is seldom available for nonurban India, where most of the agriculture sector is concentrated. In this study, nonurban FS from India has been systematically characterized for physicochemical properties, nutrient, and pathogenic content to assess its ability to be used as a fertilizer. It was found that the collected FS has nutrients (nitrogen = 3.0% ±0.4%, phosphorus = 29.07 ± 4.48 mg=L, potassium = 43.57 ± 0.74 mg=L), organic carbon (33% ± 3.2%), and physicochemical properties that qualify the Indian specifications of organic fertilizers, whereas its pathogenic content (i.e., 6 log cfu /g, and 6 to 13 viable helminth ova /g) is high as per US regulations. Thus, collected FS requires treatment by unplanted drying bed and co-composting to be used as fertilizer.

Please find the full paper in below link.
"ascelibrary.org/doi/full/10.1061/%28ASCE%29EE.1943-7870.0001854"
I have completed my BE in civil engineering with a distinction in 2011.
From 2011-2013 I worked as a software engineer in IBM.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.
Currently, I am doing my PhD in faecal sludge management.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds