Depicting Poor Sanitation as Monster?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Depicting Poor Sanitation as Monster

Hi Mughal and all,

I recently did come across something that is trying to depict poor sanitation as a monster:

I found it in this presentation: fsm5.susana.org/images/FSM_Conference_Ma...on-to-Evaluation.pdf

I had talked about it here: forum.susana.org/242-advocacy-and-civil-...a-action-india#27702

I am a bit ambivalent about this monster image though. Maybe it helps to make people aware of the dangers of lack of sanitation. But maybe it also reinforces the stereotype that an ugly/deformed person is a bad person (i.e. using a monster with an ugly face). I even find the colour brown/black problematic. There is no denying that faecal sludge is brown so maybe there is no way around that. But in terms of racism, could it reinforce the stereotype of white(er) people that people with dark(er) skin are somewhat dangerous and need to be avoided? Isn't it also a problem in India that people are bleaching their skin to get whiter skin? Maybe it's far fetched, but the thought did cross my mind. What do you all think?

Regards,
Elisabeth

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Depicting Poor Sanitation as Monster

One website, Atlas Obscura - www.atlasobscura.com/articles/your-clima...ge-monsters-revealed - has shown climate change in the shape of animated monsters. This is, of course, to draw readers' attention to the menace of climate change - pretty interesting!

Does a similar thing exist for poor sanitation? If not, then, I request WaterAid to kindly develop one for poor sanitation.

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds