WATER AND HEALTH 2018 - Conference at UNC, Oct 29 to Nov 2, 2018 (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA)

15.2k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: WATER AND HEALTH 2018 - Conference at UNC, Oct 29 to Nov 2, 2018 (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA)

Here is an interesting filmed conversation between two stars of the sector (Barbara Evans and Jamie Bartram on his Legacy in the WASH Sector) at the UNC Water & Health Conference 2018:

It's a long video (1 hour) - treat it like a podcast while you are on a train trip or flight. :-)
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: WATER AND HEALTH 2018 - Conference at UNC, Oct 29 to Nov 2, 2018 (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA)

This one is copied from a news e-mail by PSI (or see here: links.psi.mkt7463.com/servlet/MailView?m...QyMjA3OAS2&mt=1&rt=0):

++++++++

Where to Find PSI at the 2018 UNC Water and Health Conference

From October 29 - November 2, PSI will join hundreds of water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) professionals in Chapel Hill, NC for the 2018 Water and Health Conference: Where Science Meets Policy. PSI is collaborating with several partners to share learning and raise awareness on topics such as creating profitable sanitation businesses, developing affordable and desirable toilets through human-centered design, and menstrual health hygiene for adolescents and young women.

MONDAY, OCTOBER 29

8:30 am – 10:00 am | Side Event: “Insights from the Menstrual Products’ Markets in India and Ethiopia: Why the Whole User Journey Matters”convened by PSI, Biomass Controls | Location: Mountain Laurel

4:00 pm – 5:00 pm | Verbal Presentation: “Preferences for Menstrual Hygiene Management Products Among Adolescents Girls and Young Women in Addis Ababa and Sendafa, Ethiopia” by Kristen Little, PSI | Location: Bellflower

5:00 pm – 6:00 pm | Poster Presentation: “Learning from the Wheel: Sustaining and Scaling Toilet Bazaars in Bihar, India” by PSI/India | Location: #26

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 30

8:30 am – 10:00 am | Side Event: “Accelerating Markets-based Approaches to Reach SDG 6: A Debate on how Best to Move Forward”convened by: Oxfam GB, iDE, Social Finance, PSI, WaterSHED, and Safe Water Network | Location: Bellflower

10:30 am – 12:00 pm | Side Event: “Designing Effective Sanitation Enterprises” convened by USAID, TetraTech, FSG, iDE, PSI, WaterAid, WaterSHED | Location: Bellflower

2:30 pm – 3:30 pm | Verbal Presentation: “The Consumer Journey for Menstrual Hygiene Management Products: Insights from Qualitative Research with Adolescents Girls and Young Women in India and Ethiopia” by Kristen Little, PSI | Location: Azalea

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 31

4:14 p m – 5:15 pm | Verbal Presentation: “Lessons from the Rapid Start Up of Sanitation Market Development in Ethiopia: The Transform WASH Story” by Monte Achenbach, PSI/Ethiopia | Location: Windflower

5:15 pm – 6:15 pm | Poster Presentation: “Cost-effectiveness of Private & Public Channels Used to Improve Access to Roto Septic Tanks for Improved Rural Sanitation Coverage in Tien Giang Province, Vietnam” by PSI/Vietnam | Location: #30

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 1

10:30 am – 12:00 pm | Side Event: “Inclusive WASH Markets: Financing and Targeted Subsidies to Reach All”convened by: iDE, Social Finance, PSI, water.org, World Bank | Location: Mountain Laurel

4:00 pm – 5:00 pm | Verbal Presentation: “Applying User-centered Design to Find Local Solutions to WASH Challenges in Ethiopia” by Monte Achenbach, PSI/Ethiopia | Location: Redbud

5:00 pm – 6:00 pm | Poster Presentation: “Assessment of Field Performance and Acceptance of the Sato Pan in Ethiopia” by Abinet Kebede, IRC Ethiopia with PSI/Ethiopia | Location: #13

5:00 pm – 6:00 pm | Poster Presentation: “Soak Away Pits Are Moneymakers for Landlords in Abidjan” by Serge Seiba, PSI/Côte d’Ivoire | Location: #42

5:00 pm – 6:00 pm |Poster Presentation: “Development Process of a Sanitation Product for Low-income Consumers in Benin's Urban and Peri-urban Low Water Table Areas” by Jules Hountondji, Association Béninoise pour le Marketing Social et la Communication pour la Santé (ABMS) | Location: #29

++++++++++

Are any of these live streamed?

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• dandreatta
  • I am a mechanical engineer and work for a consulting company. I do projects around water, cookstoves, and sanitation in my spare time.

I will be at the conference, and there appears to be a strong line up of sanitation presentations. It was at Water and Health 2013 that I "discovered" sanitation in a talk by Jan Willem Rosenboom. I will look for Sharada, since I've been seeing his work for years now.

Dale Andreatta
Dale Andreatta, Ph.D., P.E.
Mechanical Engineer
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• adeniyiadebiyi2000

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully, I will be in the next year conference.

• KRISWASH

That will be awesome Sharada.

It's my pleasure

• sharadaprasad
  • Sharada Prasad CS

KRISWASH wrote: Hi SHARADA,

I WILL BE AT THE CONFERENCE. HOPE TO MEET YOU THERE.

IT WILL BE MY FIRST TIME. LOOKING FORWARD TO LEARNING EVERYTHING I CAN.

Sure. I will PM you my contact details. Looking forward to seeing you at UNC and knowing more about your work
Best,
CS Sharada Prasad (CSP), PhD
Academic, Sanitation expert, WaSH consultant, and Photographer
sharadaprasad.com

• sharadaprasad
  • Sharada Prasad CS

muench wrote: Dear Sharada, I am not going to the conference (I'm currently living in Brisbane, Australia, so everything is quite far from here...). So I won't get to meet you again this time - pity! - Do you have a presentation to give?

Yes, I will co-presenting on fecal sludge reuse.

Hope we get to see each other in one or the other event soon
Best,
sharadaprasad.com

• sharadaprasad
  • Sharada Prasad CS

Sure. I will PM you my contact details. Looking forward to seeing you at UNC and knowing more about your work
Best,
sharadaprasad.com

• sharadaprasad
  • Sharada Prasad CS

Yes, I will co-presenting on fecal sludge reuse.

Hope we get to see each other in one or the other event soon
Best,
sharadaprasad.com

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

I just saw that one event at the conference (or maybe more?) will be streamed live, allowing for virtual participation from anywhere in the world:

The 7th Virtual Conference on Menstrual Hygiene Management (MHM) in Schools provides an opportunity to hear the latest research and programming from around the world. The conference will focus on the "MHM in Ten" five priorities identified for transforming MHM in Schools by 2024.

This year's virtual conference will be streamed live from the 2018 Water and Health Conference: Where Science Meets Policy, organized by The Water Institute at UNC.

If you are registered for Water & Health and you would like details on in-person attendance to the virtual conference, please contact us.

++++++++++

For links and details see here in the recent e-mail by UNICEF:
mailchi.mp/b13cfc15f2ad/register-for-the...schools?e=463453808f

Interesting idea is also this: Organize a viewing party!

Joining the virtual conference is more fun with friends :) If you are tuning in from around the world, consider bringing your colleagues together to view the conference in one place.

Here are some tips for organizing a viewing party:
- Make sure everyone in the group is registered before the conference.
- Book a meeting space that can accommodate the group.
- Make sure the meeting room has a good internet connection, a laptop and basic sound system. Conduct sound and equipment checks prior to the virtual conference.
- Consider organizing snacks and drinks depending on your time zone.
- Join online at 7:00 AM (EST) and enjoy the presentations!
- Tweet a photo of your group using the hashtag #MHMConf - we will post your photos online.
- Connect with others on the virtual platform: ask questions and share comments.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• KRISWASH

Hi SHARADA,

I WILL BE AT THE CONFERENCE. HOPE TO MEET YOU THERE.

IT WILL BE MY FIRST TIME. LOOKING FORWARD TO LEARNING EVERYTHING I CAN.

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

Dear Sharada, I am not going to the conference (I'm currently living in Brisbane, Australia, so everything is quite far from here...). So I won't get to meet you again this time - pity! - Do you have a presentation to give?
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds