From poo to food: Kenyan toilet waste key for new animal feed - Black Soldier Fly technology

Page selection:
  • AjitSeshadri
    Topic Author
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Re: Press release report on fly larvae in Kenya

Dear Elisabeth,
In response to your query, I submit my reply as below:
Pl find link to see all details referred by me,
I did see it in our local newspaper The Hindu Chennai Edition Dtd. 17th July 2019 ..
I have brought out the reference as given by < reuters.com > in their website :
af.reuters.com/article/topNews/idAFKCN1TI1CT-OZATP
Pl peruse same, for details,
Our inference:
We in India, a developing country , try and develop: do-able, simple, low-tech, fail-safe practices for providing Environmental solutions.
I did notice that this Kenyan - practice " poo to food " very adaptable and easily do-able, with minimal efforts. The article also gave WB data on Kenyan urban-settlements, having poor sanitation and their project - experience Etc.

If it has succeeded in Nairobi, Kenya in a poultry farm, it is suggested to be show-cased by us, after getting more project- details.
And there is a need to study further and develop this practice, for the benefit of communities in countries like India and others.

with best regards,
Ajit Seshadri
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Worldbank report on fly larvae in Kenya

Dear Ajit,

I am not sure which Worldbank news release you mean? Is it about black soldier fly larvae? If yes, we have a sub-category about that on the forum here: forum.susana.org/147-production-of-insec...eta-or-organic-waste

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• AjitSeshadri
    Topic Author
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Menstrual Hygiene Management and Waste Disposal in Low and Middle Income Countries—A Review of the Literature

Dear SuSanA Members and Muench,

Recently there has been a release news from WB Offices to inform the below mentioned :

1. In Kenya fly larvae available in FS is sourced, cured and used with poultry feed for chicken reared for egg production.

2. The eggs produce increased in large % and project was successful.

3. Would like to check the credibility of this report, and assess if it is feasible and safe.

4. Whether conformance tests have been carried out and their results Etc.

This development will be appreciated by agencies at developing countries. And if feasibleccan be propagated too.

Well wishes.
Prof Ajit Seshadri. INDIA .
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds