Safe and sustainable valorisation of food waste in the European Union; PhD defence, Mastricht Uni; 430 pm CEST, 830 pm IST

Page selection:
  • madhurarao

Re: Safe and sustainable valorisation of food waste in the European Union - Reconciling public ambitions with private interests

Thank you for the post, Paresh! I warmly welcome members of the SuSanA forum to join for my PhD defense.

My thesis is entitled 'Safe and sustainable valorisation of food waste in the European Union - Reconciling public ambitions with private interests'. 

In the recent years, European public institutions have taken a keen interest in improving the food system’s resilience to climate change. This has resulted in the proliferation of policy documents that aim to foster sustainable practices in the food industry, including better utilisation of surpluses and waste biomass. A key contribution of my dissertation lies in its investigation of private actors’ perception of these policy goals as well as the instruments developed to achieve them. By drawing from the experiences and expertise of farmers, fishers, agri-food processors, traders, retail employees, business operators, and food bank volunteers, I attempt to paint a vivid picture of what food waste valorisation looks like in practice. Based on these results, public institutions can help create an ecosystem where small and medium-sized enterprises, local initiatives, and socially responsible businesses can actively participate and contribute to a more sustainable food system.

If this sounds relevant to your work or if you are interested in the subject of food waste valorisation, I hope you will find my research useful. Please do watch along if you can but the recording will also be available on YouTube after the defense.

Best wishes,
Madhura 
The following user(s) like this post: paresh, tklnetsolutions

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • paresh
    Topic Author
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

Safe and sustainable valorisation of food waste in the European Union; PhD defence, Mastricht Uni; 430 pm CEST, 830 pm IST

Dear All,
Sharing a link to the defence of Madhura Rao. Her research focuses on food waste, a topic not discussed much (IMHO) on the forum and outside. 

I came across the announcement on twitter  (now X). She shall inform more about her research soon.

Kind regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds