The Sanitation and Wastewater Atlas of Africa

Page selection:
  • riccardozennaro
    Topic Author

Re: The Sanitation and Wastewater Atlas of Africa

Thank you very much, Elisabeth! 

It would be fantastic if SuSanA could help distribute it wide and large. I took note of your comments regarding the size and open access and will discuss them with the partners. I will get back to you when I collect their feedback. 

Regarding your other questions, the Atlas is meant to be for everyone. However, government representatives are encouraged to use it when planning or formulating policies. So far, the feedback we have received is positive and we will continue to disseminate the publication in the future - we may possibly translate it into French and we will have soon some infographics too. 

Cheers,

Riccardo
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: The Sanitation and Wastewater Atlas of Africa

Hi Riccardo,

Thanks for bringing this important reference document to our attention again. I think it's a very useful resource and therefore I am thinking of ways to make it more known and used. As a starting point I recommend that you provide a lower resolution version. The current version that is online is 85 MB large which is prohibitive for anyone with a slow internet connection:
www.unep.org/resources/publication/sanit...tewater-atlas-africa

Secondly, have you considered giving it an open access licence so that it can more easily be used? At the moment, the licence statement says "This publication may be reproduced in whole or in part and in any form for educational or non-profit purposes without
special permission from the copyright holder, provided acknowledgement of the source is made".  If you changed it to CC-BY SA then it could be more easily utilised, for example in Wikipedia articles.

I have just now added a link to it from the Wikipedia articles on sanitation and on sewage but more could be done in that respect, e.g. pulling out actual data and information and including that in relevant Wikipedia articles. This would serve to give this atlas wider exposure.

Who do you think are the main users of this document so far? What's the feedback you have received?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• riccardozennaro
    Topic Author

Re: Save the date: “The Sanitation and Wastewater Atlas of Africa: a key tool for sustainable wastewater management” - Wednesday 13 and Thursday 14 October 2021, 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM Nairobi time.

The African Development Bank (AfDB), the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), GRID-Arendal, and the African Ministers' Council on Water (AMCOW) invite you to join the online workshop The Sanitation and Wastewater Atlas of Africa: a key tool for sustainable wastewater management.  

Click here to join us on Wednesday 13 and Thursday, 14 October 2021, 12:00 PM – 2:00 PMNairobi time.

Do not  forget to register , and feel free to share this message with anyone you think could be interested in this workshop. 

Attached you will find the draft programme, a concept note, and a flyer.

For more information and contact details, please visit  the webpage of the event. We look forward to your participation! 

Attachment not found

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This attachment is hidden for guests.

This message has attachments files.

The following user(s) like this post: ddiba

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Webinar “Introducing the Sanitation and Wastewater Atlas of Africa” - 2 March 2021

Hi Riccardo,

This atlas looks very interesting. Perhaps a bit unwieldy though - the file is 145 MB large. Do you have lower resolution versions available to make it easier to download for those with a slow internet connection?

Also, please share the webinar presentation files and the recording. Thanks a lot.

I found more information about the atlas here: www.unep.org/resources/publication/sanit...tewater-atlas-africa

The Sanitation and Wastewater Atlas of Africa is the flagship product of a  four-year project  implemented jointly by the  United Nations Environment Programme GRID-Arendal , and the  African Development Bank  to describe the current situation of wastewater management and sanitation across the African continent. The Atlas consists of different chapters focusing on various aspects of wastewater management, including for example ecosystems, human health, policies and circular economy, and has a section with detailed country profiles. This publication is a tool that will help policymakers and the wide public across Africa and beyond to better understand and address the current gaps, and opportunities in this sector.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• riccardozennaro
    Topic Author

Webinar “Introducing the Sanitation and Wastewater Atlas of Africa” - 2 March 2021

We are pleased to invite you to the upcoming webinar titled “Introducing the Sanitation and wastewater Atlas of Africa.” 

Join us on Tuesday, 2 March 2021, 12:00 PM – 1:30 PM Nairobi time.

The Sanitation and Wastewater Atlas of Africa was launched on 2 February 2021. The product is the flagship result of a four-year project implemented jointly by the African Development Bank (AfDB), GRID-Arendal, and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) to better understand the current situation related to wastewater management and sanitation across the African continent. 

The webinar will discuss the process that led to the creation of the Atlas, its main findings, and key messages. The event will also be an opportunity to discuss the value of addressing wastewater and sanitation challenges. Click here to register . For more information, visit the webpage of the event or contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

We look forward to your participation!
Attachments:

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds