Update for Free Webinar Event - questions and answers

18.6k views

Page selection:
  • Markh79
    Topic Author

Re: Questions and Answers from Webinar

Hi Trevor,

The webinar was easy to organise the difficult part was talking to a computer screen without seeing the audience and then missing some key slides. Thankfully Bastian and the CSIRO guys did well and made it worthwhile.

The hosting/technical aspects of the webinar itself was by icheme. They have a subscription to the webinar service gotowebinar and can host webinars or online meetings at anytime. From my perspective it was very easy to use without the need for anything fancy, except for someone to hold/have the webinar account. I don't know how much a subscription costs.

I look forward to Susana hosting a few webinar events in the future.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Markh79
    Topic Author

Hi Chris, unfortunately I can't upload the presentation to you tube. It is streamed from the icheme website so it doesn't require a file download. I know the ppt slides were close to 8mb so with audio I can understand it would be quite large. Sorry about that, how big is too big? I can try converting slides to low quality PDF?

• canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Hi Mark,

Any chance of uploading Youtube videos? The above link involves downloading huge files, which is painfully slow here in the Developing World. Also, with the comments one can add to Youtube videos, this would be similar to a Webinar, without everyone having to be online simultaneously. Just an idea. I look forward to seeing the presentation in form or another.

Best wishes,
Chris
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• tmsinnovation
  • I manage the Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project) and previously coordinated the Climate-friendly sanitation services in peri-urban areas of Lusaka project in Zambia. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

Hi Mark

Can you give me an overview what is involved in organising a webinar?

My initial impressions of what is involved are; co-ordinating the presenters, putting an interesting line-up together; registration and the technical side of things.

What sort of software and technical equipment do you require to set up a webinar such as the one you gave on Monday?

What sort of cost is involved?

I think the idea of a SuSanA webinar is interesting and perhaps has potential!

I look forward to your response and some more details.

Kind regards
Trevor
Trevor Surridge
Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project)
Project Manager

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Shmeisani,
Amman
Jordan

• christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Hi Mark,
thanks for showing me a way of "interaction" I did not know!
I really enjoyed the webinar (almost CO2 free..great!) Just only one point of criticism: the lack of interaction between listeners and presenters made it a bit heavy at the end. A bit less would have been more... so one presentation less but time for question and answer.

Just my impression. Congrats it has been very nice and your suggestion to have it in SUSANA is an interesting idea I guess.
Yours
Christoph

• Markh79
    Topic Author

The webinar recording can be viewed/streamed from the following:

www.icheme.org/streaming/webinars/Produc...n_and_the_future.wmv

www.icheme.org/streaming/webinars/Produc...n_and_the_future.wmv

If I was to organise the webinar again I would like to experiment a bit and have the presenters spend time engaging with the audience.

It would be great if SuSanA had the ability to hold a quarterly online webinar and give its members the opportunity to present what they are working on, including successes and challenges?

Regards

Mark

• tmsinnovation
  • I manage the Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project) and previously coordinated the Climate-friendly sanitation services in peri-urban areas of Lusaka project in Zambia. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

Hi Mark

Is it possible to attach the presentations (ppt or pfd) from the Webinar, so that the questions and answers above have more context. It was a really interesting webinar. I found the VUNA presentation particularly interesting.

I look forward to seeing the ppt or pdf of the presentations up on the forum.
Kind regards
Trevor
Trevor Surridge
Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project)
Project Manager

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Shmeisani,
Amman
Jordan

• Markh79
    Topic Author

Re: Questions and Answers from Webinar Event

Q: What might be a selling point for a major city like Chicago to risk its world class city status to move in this direction?

Any new sanitation system must satisfy the users and be appropriate to the context. The challenge is for scientist, engineers, planners, waste water treatment companies, governments, etc to develop sanitation systems that meet existing levels of service and satisfy the challenges faced by the waste water industry (water shortages, rising costs of energy and chemical inputs, aging infrastructure, treatment plant site contrainsts,etc). The end vision may be a generation away but we need to start now.

Q: How feasible is it to retro fit so many processes as outlined in Tony's PFD with the current ecenomic climate and limited funding available?
A: Design of sanitation systems are context dependent and the viability of such resource recovery technology will depend on many factors. The presentation was not suggesting all STP's be retro-fitted but rather for designers, and water utilities to consider the potential of nutrient recovery for where it meets certain drivers. Further R&D is necessary.

Q: Having used eco / waterless toilets in the Maasai Mara in Kenya and Chumbe Island Zanzibar, one of the issues is odour and how to clean these toilets. Does the use of detergents/toilet cleaners affect effectiveness of nutrient recovery?
A: Strong detergents may interfere with biological processes. Odours can be prevented with adequate constructional measures and maintenance.

Q: Is this accounting method for valuing utilities being used around the world?
A: The accounting method outlined in the presentation is a way for utilities to justify nutrient recovery technology and demonstrates that viability will be context specific.

Q: What benefit for reuse is nitrogen gas from electrolysis?
A: Production of nitrogen gas is only beneficial from a removal point of view. Our research examines how oxidation can be halted at nitrate stage, to recover nitrate from the process.

Q: Can the ammonia distilate be discharged to the environment? Or does it need additional treatment to remove the ammonia
A: Depends on regulations. Distillate may be used e.g. to flush toilets. Ammonium can be completely removed via electrolysis of the distillate.

Q: Can Vuna be coupled with micro Algea process for CO2 absorption?
A: Various projects have been carried out to test algeal growth with urine as fertilizer. We have cultivated lemna species in urine fertilized water, with positive results.

Q1: Int´t nitryfiny very energy consuming? Q2: Does nitrification suffer inhibion due to the high ammonia concentrations?
A: Energy consumption of urine nitrification and distillation roughly equals consumption of conventional wastewater treatment and Haber-Bosch process for fertilizer production.

A: Yes - 3 to 4 kWh per kg of ammonia oxidised

A: stored urine is added gradually to keep concentrations under control.

Q: Given how hard it is to convince developers to segregate black and grey water - how viable is yellow water segregation and is it completely neccesary to recover the urine minerals?
A: Social aspects have to be integrated into the project right from its inception. The UD toilets in our office building have been operable since 2005 without any major problems. By avoiding dilution with flush water, we are able to recover minerals in a more efficient way.

Q: What is black water?
A: the water coming out of toilets, containing excreta and flush water.

Q: Does there need to be solids removal protection before resin treatment? Does there need to be BOD removal to protect from biological growth within the resin

A: BOD contained in urine is removed by about 90 % during storage and nitrification. Further experiments will determine, how the remaining 10 % can be eliminated. Primary clarification is usually enough. biological growth is usually limited by regeneration conditions

Q: Is the resource recovery process design - energy neutral? or do you need more energy into the system?
Q: Are any of the ammonia recovery technologies installed on a commercial scale?
Audience Comment - improved material use in toilet construction would mitigate the frequency of cleaning, i.e. slippery porcelin'

• christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Re: End of Pipe solutions and the Future - Free Webinar Event

:) Hi Mark,
just with your post here I understood the post the other day and your direct mail.
So there might be others who did not get what you do intend.
Maybe you should explain a bit more what you intend. I did not get as well if you will lecture? or you pretend to make an opening statement and you wish to discuss? Or Just discussion?
Yes it seems interesting to me to try out this mean of communication and I will try to attend the webinar.

Yours
Christoph :woohoo:

• Markh79
    Topic Author

Re: Update for Free Webinar Event - questions and answers

Participate in this webinar, which is free and open to all, with a focus on Productive Sanitation for developed cities.

refer to the following link for more information and to register.

It will be hosted by the ICheme water special interest group.

Link to Webinar Information
The following user(s) like this post: tmsinnovation

• Markh79
    Topic Author

Re: Chemical Engineers - ICheme presentation assistance??

thanks i will be in touch

• sofiagarciacortes

Re: Chemical Engineers - ICheme presentation assistance??

Hi Markh79!
I am also a chemical engineer. I have been working in development cooperation for the last three years, especially in the field of solid waste management. Last year we started a new project, in which sanitation is also a topic. If you think I can help you, just contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Best Regards,
Sofia
The following user(s) like this post: tmsinnovation

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds