New Online Course on Water and Sanitation in Developing Countries (MOOC)

26.4k views

Page selection:
  • Augustino
  • Smile to the world will smile to you...

Re: New Online Course on Water and Sanitation in Developing Countries (MOOC)

hi all,

i am trying to enroll in the course but it showing is not available any help or some alternative course for water and sanitation online. i really need to study this course.

Dak Victor
water quality monitoring assistance.
south Sudan - Malakal
Augustino

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Doreen

Re: New Online Course on Water and Sanitation (MOOC)

Dear Mike,

As Elisabeth mentioned, the course is free. Follow the link below for more information

www.coursera.org/course/water

Contact me if you require any assistance in signing up. I am based in Nairobi.

Best regards,

Doreen
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• mikemutuku

Re: New Online Course on Water and Sanitation (MOOC)

Pls send me the details of how I can take part in the course and also payment options.

+++++++
Note by moderator (EvM):
Access details are provided on the website link that was provided above:
www.gwp.org/en/gwp-in-action/News-and-Ac...eveloping-Countries/
The website also states that the course is for free.

• AquaVerde
  • "simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity

Re: New Online Course on Water and Sanitation in Developing Countries (MOOC)

It seams to me it is a "xMOOC" on watsan, right?
see xMOOC versus cMOOC degreeoffreedom.org/xmooc-vs-cmooc/
Regards,
Detlef
www.aqua-verde.de
"simple" Sanitation-Solutions by gravity
Low-Tech Solutions with High-Tech Effects
"Inspired by Circular Economy and Cooperation"
www.flickr.com/photos/aqua-verde/

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

New Online Course on Water and Sanitation in Developing Countries (MOOC)

I saw an announcement for this upcoming online course and I thought it might be interesting for some, as we have discussed MOOCs on the forum before *:

www.gwp.org/en/gwp-in-action/News-and-Ac...eveloping-Countries/

++++++++
This spring the University of Manchester will offer a new Massive Online Open-Access Course (MOOC) on water and sanitation policy in developing countries. The course is free and open to everyone. The Global Water Partnership has endorsed this MOOC.
The course will be taught by Prof. Dale Whittington, a member of the GWP Technical Committee and a professor at the Manchester Business School (UK) and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (USA), and Dr. Duncan Thomas, Manchester Business School.

This course will have 2 modules. Each module has 6 sessions. In the first module students will examine current conditions and trends in water and sanitation services in low and middle-income countries, and the underlying political, economic, and technical reasons why almost a billion people still lack access to improved water supplies, and about 2 billion do not have improved sanitation services. The course will address the water supply and sanitation problems of megacities, peri-urban slums, and rural communities.

The second module will focus on what can be done to solve global water and sanitation problems. Students will examine the main strategies that national governments and donors have tried to improve water and sanitation conditions, and the lessons that can be learned from these experiences.

Students in this course will develop an in-depth understanding of the current water and sanitation situation in low and middle-income countries, and the challenges that professionals in this field must tackle. Students will listen to lectures and read some of the influential, thought-provoking papers in the field. They will discuss both the lectures and the readings online with other interested individuals from all around the world. Videos will be used to supplement the lectures and readings. In addition, students who successfully complete the courses will receive a Coursera Statement of Accomplishment. We expect a lively online discussion with water and sanitation professionals around the world, and hope you will join us!
+++++++++

If anyone takes part in it, please give us some feedback what it's like (I have never taken part in a MOOC myself).

Note that we have also started a new subcategory on the forum on these issues of policy and governance and institutional aspects:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/142-up...-sanitation-policies
We have called it:
Upscaling, sanitation governance, institutional aspects, sanitation policies
Topics in the area of governance, institutions, water sector reform processes, water and sanitation policies and regulations - aiming at upscaling can be discussed here.

Regards,
Elisabeth

* See here previous discussion about MOOCs:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/54-wg-...-its-members-a-users
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: cecile, rahul, terencechanakira, kifle1adama

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds