Hello
I trust you are doing fine.
I will appreciate a skill in photovoice for community research
Thank you for the good job you are doing

Best Regards
Francoise
*Vice president EB AfroPHC*
*Founding President FAHEDEF*
*E-mail:* This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • abhakta
    Topic Author
  • Co-lead, leave no one behind theme at the Rural Water Supply Network. Freelance WASH consultant.

Re: Launch of new Hidden WASH online workshops

Dear Paresh,
Thank you so much.

I am delighted to share that the session on the WASH needs of perimenopausal women was successfully ran at CEPT University in Ahmedabad earlier this year (see student blog here:  Understanding infrastructural needs for perimenopausal women - Amita Bhakta - Hidden WASH (amita-bhakta-hidden-wash.net)  ) and at the WASH R&D Centre at the University of KwaZulu Natal last week. I offer a 10% discount to any organisation (either NGO or University or govt) wanting to take both workshops on the perimenopause and using

PhotoVoice in WASH.
PhotoVoice is a method where you give people a camera over a few days as part of research/programming and they take pictures of the things that matter to them. I recently gave this training to a team looking at off-grid sanitation in South Africa, Kenya and Peru and they gave feedback that they managed to successfully use PhotoVoice in the field thanks to my training. So for anyone looking to use PhotoVoice as part of your work, or to integrate the perimenopause into programming, please get in touch! There is forthcoming guidance on  WASH for perimenopausal women which is due to be published through the Sanitation Learning Hub soon.

More info about the workshops is available here:  Workshops - Amita Bhakta - Hidden WASH (amita-bhakta-hidden-wash.net)  

Best wishes,
Amita

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Re: Launch of new Hidden WASH online workshops

Dear Amita,
Thank you for announcing the lauch of your workshops. I loved the content and delivery of the first workshop. Thank you for letting me participate and also thanks to RWSN for organising it. Besides the content, I liked that there was enough time to interact with other participants, it allowed me to acknowledge and confront my own misunderstandings and biases. 

Having said that, I am curious to know more about 'photovoice' as a method. It is a novel method, but from your description, I could only gather that it involves photos. I was curious to know more about the method and the principles involved in deciding its appropriateness over other traditional methods.

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

• abhakta
    Topic Author
  • Co-lead, leave no one behind theme at the Rural Water Supply Network. Freelance WASH consultant.

Launch of new Hidden WASH online workshops

Dear Colleagues,

I am delighted to announce the launch of brand-new 'Hidden WASH' online capacity building workshops, designed to support the WASH sector and suitable for professionals at any career stage from Masters level and above to address the needs of perimenopausal women and to use PhotoVoice in programmes and in academic research.  I welcome enquiries from any organisation in the WASH sector who would wish to book these workshops for group training. 

Hidden WASH needs of perimenopausal women  (half day)

As part of the post-2015 Sustainable Development Agenda and taking into account an ageing population, particularly in the global South, it is important that the water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH) needs of the increasing number of older women who are making the transition to menopause, or are  perimenopausal, are met if we are to leave no-one behind. The perimenopause usually happens to women in their late 40s and 50s. In recent years, the WASH sector has explored  how to ensure effective menstrual hygiene management for adolescent girls in low- and middle-income countries, but the needs of perimenopausal women who have irregular and erratic menstruation patterns, have been neglected. As the first form of training on this topic  in the WASH sector, this half day capacity development workshop uses empirical findings from Ghana and the UK to introduce the ‘hidden’ WASH needs of perimenopausal women, expanding current understandings of equity and inclusion. In this workshop, we explore what the perimenopause is, women’s hygiene needs during this lifestage and why they are hidden, and identify infrastructural issues faced by perimenopausal women from a WASH perspective. This workshop also helps participants to identify and implement the key infrastructural and software solutions needed to address the needs of perimenopausal women through WASH programming.

This course was recently ran at RWSN, and was developed over two years in collaboration with the University of Leeds, UK

Cultural legacies attached to sanitation:  seeing through the eyes of the user through PhotoVoice (2 hours)

Sanitation has been traditionally hailed as a taboo and stigmatised topic, but in light of an increasing focus on inclusion of marginalised groups in infrastructure provision, we can learn from users about issues which are hidden within sanitation design and use. ‘Cultural legacies’ are related to people’s experiences of using sanitation infrastructure, and the way in which particular ‘hidden’ user needs have been and continue to be neglected in sanitation design through generations. Drawing on research from Ghana, Malawi, Nepal, and Pakistan using PhotoVoice to explore topics ranging from disability and WASH, incontinence, the WASH needs of women during the perimenopause, and acceptability of shared toilets, this workshop demonstrates the importance of PhotoVoice as a method to explore taboos and cultural legacies left by users’ interactions with sanitation. This two-hour session will explore the concept of hidden knowledge and the importance of understanding hidden issues through PhotoVoice in providing inclusive sanitation for all.  Participants will be able to engage with and analyse photos from previous PhotoVoice work to understand why photography is important in understanding taboos in sanitation. Practical lessons on using PhotoVoice to learn about sanitation will be provided, and participants will be able to understand the relevance of this method for their research and sanitation programming and the practical aspects to consider.

This course was developed over two years in collaboration with the Faculty of Planning, CEPT University, India

I welcome any enquiries about these courses and to book in groups for your organisations. For more information and to contact me for a brochure, visit this page:  Workshops - Amita Bhakta - Hidden WASH (amita-bhakta-hidden-wash.net)

Best wishes,
Amita
The following user(s) like this post: paresh, Chaiwe

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds