How can I change the title of a thread that I started? Can the moderators change a thread title, too?

10.8k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: How can I change the title of a thread that I started? Can the moderators change a thread title, too?

Thanks for your feedback, Mughal.

Well, I think it would help me as a moderator if individuals adapted their own thread titles, too, if they realise that they are sub-optimal (keeping in mind that users can only change their own thread titles, not those of other people)

For me it's the same as with editing one's own post after having submitted it: you may find a typo or realise you have forgotten something, so you can go back in and edit your own post (using the "edit" button below your post) - and this includes the thread title, too.

This for me is a major advantage compared to e-mail based discussion groups where it's a matter of "once the e-mail is sent you cannot change the content anymore".
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: How can I change the title of a thread that I started? Can the moderators change a thread title, too?

Dear Elisabeth,

As an moderator and administrator, it should be within your domain to change the titles (which you do for more clarity; or linking to other similar threads). I don't think it would be helpful, if individuals change titles on their own.

Cheers,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

How can I change the title of a thread that I started? Can the moderators change a thread title, too?

The question sometimes arises regarding how the title of a thread can be changed? Such a change might become necessary to make the thread more precise, easier to understand or to modify it based on the direction of the discussion that is taking place in that thread.

There are two options for this:

Option 1: Changing a thread title for a thread that YOU started

You can easily change the thread title of a thread that you started yourself by changing the title of the first post in that thread. As that would be your own post, you can click on "edit" when you're logged in (see the edit button below your post). This allows you to change the topic of the first post in the thread and therefore the thread title. Note that you must edit the first post, not any post in that thread.

Option 2: Changing a thread title for a thread that someone else started

You cannot change a thread title for a thread that someone else started. However, the other user or any of the moderators can change it. In that case I therefore recommend that you send a message to the other user or to the SuSanA secretariat (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) or to me with your suggested new thread title. Remember, messages can be sent via the message button to the left of someone's post (if you don't have that person's e-mail address; often it is in their footer).

As a moderator, when I check through the forum I change thread titles when necessary (and inform the user about it). E.g. I often find that thread titles need to be change because they:
  • Are too short, like "help needed"
  • Are not specific enough, like "looking for advice"
  • Contain abbreviations that many people won't be familiar with, like "What do you think of HPE and BVAC as possible solutions?"
  • Don't contain date and location of conference, webinar or other event "Join our WASH conference"
  • Are written in French or another language without an English translation as well
  • Are no longer up to date, e.g. when the recording from a webinar has become available and is posted then this could be reflected by changing the thread title.
  • No longer reflect well what the discussion in the thread is all about.

Do you have other examples of thread titles that you find could be improved? Or any other comments on the issue of thread titles?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds