What role does SuSanA play in your work?

• marajohanna
    Topic Author
  • Mara J. van Welie, PhD student at Eawag (Department of Environmental Social Sciences)

What role does SuSanA play in your work?

Hi everybody,

My name is Mara van Welie and I am a PhD student at Eawag (Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology). My research focusses on innovation development in sustainable sanitation. I am interested in SuSanA`s role in fostering innovations in the field of sustainable sanitation.

Therefore, I would like to ask the participants of this forum what role does SuSanA play in your work/project/organization?
And if so, how does SuSanA benefit your work?

Your experiences and views on what SuSanA means for you and your work are very useful for my research, thank you for sharing them!

Mara J. van Welie, PhD student at Eawag (Department of Environmental Social Sciences)
The following user(s) like this post: neilpw
You need to login to reply
  • muench
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant and Wikipedian (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: What role does SuSanA play in your work?

Dear Mara,

This will be an interesting piece of research and I wish you good luck with it!
I wonder if you have seen this previous forum thread where we asked a very similar question before:
forum.susana.org/10-announcements-regard...stories-and-examples
"How has SuSanA impacted your work? Please provide testimonials, stories and examples"

We did get some very interesting responses there but not as many as we would have liked to. I think people might be shy or too busy to write in such a thread. We sometimes do get nice feedback about SuSanA's work via e-mails or other forum posts but it is sporadic and ad-hoc (and we haven't been collecting or analysing it).

If you are using this for research then I think some forum posts might give you some initial impressions but probably not enough for actual "research". For that you probably need to do structured interviews with key informants (which you have done already, right?). And how about setting up a survey with Google Forms or SurveyMonkey and asking some multiple choice questions about how SuSanA or its working groups have been useful for people? At least that way you might get in the order of say 200 responses which might be a bit more representative than just 5 people who reply on the forum.

With regards to the working groups (your other post: forum.susana.org/69-relevant-for-all-wor...ps-play-in-your-work ) again, I would set up a survey with one of those survey tools and then send it to one or two working group mailing lists. (I probably wouldn't send it to all working group mailing lists because many people are subscribed in several groups and would get the same e-mail multiple times then).

If you wonder how many people are in the working groups mailing lists, see here:

The total number of SuSanA members at present is 9300 people.

This map shows where our members are (the darker the more members per country):

Looking forward to hearing more about your research, and helping in any way I can - I am also curious what role SuSanA and the WGs play in people's work.

Regards,
Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum
funded via SEI project until January 2019 ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
Attachments:
  • marajohanna
    Topic Author
  • Mara J. van Welie, PhD student at Eawag (Department of Environmental Social Sciences)

Dear Elisabeth,

Thank you so much for your elaborate reply. Thanks for linking me to the other forum thread, which has interesting inputs on a similar question indeed! I understand that people are very busy to write in this type of threat, but it was worth a try, especially to reach people that I would maybe not reach in any other way.
In my research I use qualitative methods and therefore I indeed conduct expert interviews. I am after stories, anecdotes, personal views, etc. so a survey is not really the right method to collect such data, but using the WG mailing lists might be a good idea in the next steps.

I still hope that people are interested in sharing their views in this threat :)!

Mara

Mara J. van Welie, PhD student at Eawag (Department of Environmental Social Sciences)
The following user(s) like this post: muench
  • alexandra85

Dear Mara

In August last year, the sustainable sanitation GIZ sector programme (SV NaSa) prepared several case stories aiming at highlighting the impact of SuSanA on sanitation projects around the world. The UBSUP project in Kenya (see description here ) implemented by the Water Sector Trust Fund with the technical support of GIZ, was selected to showcase the contribution of SuSanA at a project level in terms of concept design, testing and implementation. I have attached the last version of the Kenyan case story which has been sent to me in November last year, you might want to contact the SuSanA secretariat to get the rest of the case stories.

I wish you all the best in your research, and hope you can get more testimonies on the forum

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Alexandra Dubois

Technical Advisor
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Nairobi, Kenya

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• marajohanna
    Topic Author

Dear Alexandra,

Thank very much you for your useful suggestion! I will definitly have a look into these case studies.

Mara

Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 1.944 seconds