Emerging issues of Sanitation Workers and Manual Scavengers

13.6k views

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Re: Emerging issues of Sanitation Workers and Manual Scavengers

Sharing a FB post by S Vishwanath 

Manikandan, working as a manual scavenger in Chennai, lost his job after a group of college students made his video as he was working without any protective gear. And uploaded the video on the internet. He was summoned by the contractor who should have been held responsible, and fired from the job,
“My story has been reported several times, and various newspapers have told my story but still nobody wants to hire me”, he said. Manikandan’s wife works as a house maid but now she is without a job as well because of the lockdown.

The link to story Vishwanath quoted is here:  https://www.thecitizen.in/index.php/en/NewsDetail/index/15/18584/A-Dark-Manhole-Caste-and-COVID-19?fbclid=IwAR2dSDsGTnpyaZl1PKx1tJe-LI417s260L7I23aUs4veR1ijXYlSt8DpRlg  
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds