Soapy Water Handwashing Stations in Kenya (Innovations for Poverty Action, USAID DIV WASH grant)

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Soapy Water Handwashing Stations in Kenya (Innovations for Poverty Action, USAID DIV WASH grant)

Dear all,

As you might be aware, I am helping grantees of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to spread information about their projects here on the forum. Today, I am introducing a grant which stems from a partnership that USAID has with the Gates Foundation. It was funded via the Development Innovation Ventures (DIV) competition, which I have explained further here: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/95-cal...from-the-wash-sector

The information shown here was provided to me by MC Dinh, WASH Portfolio Manager and I also took some from IPA's project website.

Title of grant: Soapy water handwashing stations in Kenya (SW-HWS)
  • Name of lead organization: Innovations for Poverty Action
  • Primary contact at lead organization: Clair Null, Amy Pickering, Pavani Ram, Wit Wichaidit (see here: www.poverty-action.org/study/soapy-water...shing-stations-kenya)
  • Grantee location: United States
  • Developing country where the research is being tested: Kenya
  • Start and end date: 1 July 2013 – 1 July 2016
  • Grant type: Collaboration between BMGF and USAID Development Innovations Ventures (DIV)
  • Grant size: USD 993,488

Short description of the project:

A key insight from behavioral economics research on preventative health in the developing world is the importance of removing immediate barriers to beneficial behavior by making the action as convenient as possible. Having a dedicated place to wash hands, where water and soap are available and where there is a hands-free way of dispensing water, can make handwashing more convenient.

Through an iterative process of discussions with users and piloting, Innovations for Poverty Action has developed the soapy water handwashing station (SW-HWS). A modification of the existing "tippy tap" handwashing station design, the SW-HWS has two foot-pedal operated water storage tanks, one for soapy water and one for rinse water. The innovation of protecting soap by mixing it with water has been very well received in pilots with households In Kenya, and our more precise mechanism for dispensing water conserves a precious resource, ultimately saving time for the women and girls who collect water from communal sources.

Researchers are evaluating the acceptability and scale-up potential of an innovative handwashing system developed by Innovations for Poverty Action among 400 households, four public health clinics, and 30 public primary schools in peri-urban areas of Kisumu, Kenya.

Working together, Innovations for Poverty Action and Catapult Design used a human centered design approach to improve upon an existing “tippy-tap” handwashing station to create a more functional, durable, and cost-effective system. The water-efficient, soap-frugal handwashing system is portable and adaptable to multiple settings, with an innovative soap foam dispenser that conserves soap and a swinging water tap that is hygienic, easy to use, and conserves water.

Goal:

The purpose of this project is to position the SW-HWS for scale-up in order to reduce the burden of diarrheal and respiratory diseases by facilitating handwashing with soap, while minimizing the time burden of water collection that falls to women and girls.

Objectives: Not provided

Research or implementation partners: Mathematica Policy Research, Stanford University, University at Buffalo,State University of New York, University at Buffalo,State University of New York

Links, further readings – results to date: Current state of affairs: Not available

Biggest successes so far: Not available

Main challenges / frustration: Not available

My next step will be to contact the researchers and ask them for more photos. If you have questions for them about this grant, please put them into this thread.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds