- In our discussion forum we like to know who we are talking to: so it is nice and good practice if you give a short introduction of yourself when you make your first post. Tell the others a little bit about who you are and why you are making this posting. We will enjoy our time together on the forum more if the atmosphere is not anonymous.
- Check if your question has already been answered somewhere on the forum by using the search feature. If not then please ask.
- Thank those who help you. Acknowledgment of a helpful suggestion not only placates those who helped you, it may also help others with a similar problem. All those who have been helped on this forum are invited to help other users by responding to their questions when they know the answer and /or to consider donating to the project.
- Keep all commentary civil, and be courteous at all times. Constructive criticism is welcome, but insults directed towards other users or the site admins will not be tolerated. Coarse/insulting language will not be tolerated.
- No useless posts. This includes: Thread bumping ("Thread bumping" is the act of posting in a thread, with the sole goal of getting it back to the top of the thread list.), useless one liners, flamewars (when users engage in provocative and insulting interactions), trolling (purposely posting off-topic, derogatory or inflammatory comments) and spamming.
- If you feel a post violates any of these rules, or you need to bring it to the attention of a moderator, please use the ‘report this post’ link to notify the moderators.
- This forum is centered on sustainable sanitation, the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA) and people/organisations who are active in the sanitation, water or hygiene sector. It is not a place to promote ideological, religious, or political matters. All such discussions will be deleted/closed.
Ways of making constructive postings
- Post your comment/question to the most appropriate place in the forum. Any posts deemed to be in the wrong area of the forum will be moved by the moderator. Do not cross-post the same question to multiple places. If you are not sure then use the section called Miscellaneous.
- Make sure you have read the parent article/post completely before posting a reply.
- Use your own words. If you wish to use the words of somebody else, quote them, citing the source.
- Choose an appropriate subject line. Try to summarise the problem briefly in the subject, and elaborate in the message itself. Repeat the subject in the body if it will make things clearer. Do not use all caps and do not add false information just to get attention (e.g. ;read this or you will be arrested;). An example of a bad subject would be "HELP ME". A good subject might be, "Handwashing in Uganda". Do not use a URL as a thread title.
- Include as much information as you can when seeking help. Nobody will be able to help you if you don't give sufficient detail.
Illegal activities, copyright issues, forbidden activities
- When registering, a valid email address has to be used. Disposable email addresses are not permitted. If found, we will remove the account in question.
- Do not discuss illegal activities. Our server is hosted in Germany and so is subject to German law. Please do not expose us to any unnecessary legal liability.
- Please do not attach documents to your posts if their copyright is not owned by you or if you have not been granted permission by the copyright owner. This applies in particular to journal articles, such as from Water Research, Science of the total Environment etc. Instead of attaching such a pdf file to your post, you can give a link to where this article is available for purchase, or a link to an online library if it is posted there. Moderators will remove all attachments that enfringe on third parties copyright.
- Do not link to any site that contains adult content, sexually oriented material or might otherwise be considered offensive. Any post containing an inappropriate link will be deleted and the poster will receive a warning.
- Do not propose a site or link to any site that contains warez (pirated software), copyrighted software or materials that can be downloaded illegally.
- No affiliate links to be posted, anywhere on our forum.
- No commercial advertising is permitted.
- Any posts deemed to be spam can and will be removed. NO SPAM, NO ADVERTISING.
Failure to abide by these rules may result in an editing, negative moderation or deletion of your post. We reserve the right to ban abusers from the site.