• Page:

TOPIC: Large urine use project in the USA

Large urine use project in the USA 13 Mar 2014 03:08 #7770

• Marijn Zandee
  • This button allows you to contact another forum user directly by sending a private message.
  • GIZ Technical Advisor seconded to the Nepal Biogas Promotion Association
Dear all,

One of my friends forwarded this link, which I am sharing for your reading pleasure:

grist.org/food/wish-you-could-fertilize-...with-pee-urine-luck/

I think, some of the people from the Rich earth institute are also on the forum, congratulations to them with their project.

Regards

Marijn
Marijn Zandee
Technical Advisor
Nepal Biogas Promotion Association (NBPA)

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Kathmandu, Nepal

E: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
I: www.nbp-association.org
Last Edit: 13 Mar 2014 03:09 by Marijn Zandee.

Re: Large urine use project in the USA 15 Mar 2014 23:10 #7821

• noe-hays
  • This button allows you to contact another forum user directly by sending a private message.
Marijn, thanks for mentioning us. We've just started getting press recently on this project and it makes me proud that someone from the SuSanA forum read about us! This article has a few inaccuracies, but it is a generally correct summary of our project.

Anyone who wants to know more about what we are doing can visit our website at www.richearthinstitute.org. There are also more news articles here, including one in Spanish.

Our actual website is a little out of date, but the current situation is that we are collecting 6,000 gallons of urine from about 200 families this year, pasteurizing it, and then applying it to hay fields. Our ongoing study is on dilution rates, to see if there is a yield benefit to a 50/50 urine/water mix over application of 100% urine.

As far as I know, this is the only project of its type in the United States, but I wonder if anyone on the forum is involved in a similar community-sourced urine recycling project elsewhere?

Cheers,
Abe Noe-Hays
Research Director
Rich Earth Institute
www.richearthinstitute.org
The following user(s) like this post: canaday

Reply: Large urine use project in the USA 19 Mar 2014 04:06 #7880

• Bhaskar
The concept of using urine as a fertilizer is fine, but why use it on land ? Why not use it in water, to grow fish.

Urine is a liquid, so it is easier to handle by flushing it down a drain into a fish pond, rather than to collect it in containers and use it on land.

I understand that your project uses the urine to grow hay to feed cattle. We can give you a solution to use the urine to grow Diatom Algae to feed fish.

Diatoms are known as the 'grasses of the oceans'

headlinesurfer.com/content/405752-diatom...-food-host-creatures

"Have you ever wondered who plays the role of grass in the oceans? Try diatoms, delicate unicellular organisms that have a yellow-brown chloroplast that enables them to photosynthesize."

Regards

Bhaskar www.nualgi.org/water-treatment/
Clean technology promoter.

I am working on a clean technology product to grow Diatom Algae in large waterways. Diatoms account for about 25% of all photosynthesis on Earth and hence are the best solution to consume CO2, N and P and oxygenate water and feed fish.

I am a Chartered Accountant but am now an entrepreneur focussed on clean technology.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds