Is there a mobile version of the forum for smartphones and tablet computers?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is there a mobile version of the forum for smartphones and tablet computers?

We are now mobile! 18 Feb 2013 11:35 #3514

• secretariat
  • CONTACT
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar,Trevor Surridge, Rahul Ingle, and the time equivalent of one intern: Sebastian Klos and Friederike Guettner
Yes, there is!

Hello everybody,

we are about to launch a mobile version of the Forum. Our tribute to the 21st century .
So we are encouraging you (#SuSanAcommunity) to use it (m.forum.susana.org) and tell us your suggestions, comments or critic, by simply posting a reply to this post.
It is just the beta version so we are still happy to continue to do some fine tuning and take your suggestions for improvements on board.

mv.jpg

Kind regards,
SuSanA secretariat.
[posted by Agazi Medhanie]
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sustainable sanitation sector program
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org
Last Edit: 19 Mar 2014 10:23 by muench.

Re: We are now mobile! 20 Feb 2013 05:57 #3525

• jkeichholz
  • CONTACT
For those of you with a QR-Code reader (app), the following QR-Code will get you to the mobile forum on the m.-subdomain:

m.forum.susana.org
Juergen Eichholz
watsan eng.
water, sanitation, IT & knowledge management
www.saniblog.org
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2013 06:06 by jkeichholz.
The following user(s) like this post: muench

Re: We are now mobile! 20 Feb 2013 08:51 #3527

• tmsinnovation
  • CONTACT
  • I am one of the community managers of this forum and work at the GIZ. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.
Hi Juergen
Could you explain briefly how this works and how it can be used? As there are probably a few folks out there, including me , that do not know to much about these codes and how they are used.
Rgds
Trevor
Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA)
Secretariat
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany

Re: We are now mobile! 20 Feb 2013 16:24 #3533

• jkeichholz
  • CONTACT
Yes, Trevor, thx for the reminder.

These QR-Codes basically are nothing but a visual shortlinks that help users entering a longer URL into their mobile devices. There is various information that can be coded into a QR-code, but often it is only limited to plain text or a URL (like m.forum.susana.org). In many Asian countries, these visual codes are very popular (e.g. Japan).

Given that the "m." subdomain (without the "www.") may be unusual to the average user and/or is prone to typos, it makes imo sense to also advertise the mobile version via a qr-code for quick access.

(for the techies among you: instead of a an automated switch that picks a mobile-first, responsive theme based on the browser, the mobile template is only used with m.forum.susana.org - h/t to dotwerkstatt.de, who implemented this on behalf of the SuSanA).

Many mobile camera phones already come with pre-installed qr-code readers, such as the Nokia S60 Smybian phones that used to be popular some years ago. Other, more recent mobile devices will probably require an app that can snapshot and decode such a qr-code. The one I like best is "i-nigma":

"i-nigma Barcode Scanner" for Android

"i-nigma Barcode Scanner" for iOS

"i-nigma" from BlackBerry App World

"i-nigma" for Windows Phone

i-nigma is just one example - there are a lot of other barcode/qr-code scanner apps out there.

We could use the qr-code to advertise the mobile site during conferences (~ "you read, you forget - you play, you remember").
Juergen Eichholz
watsan eng.
www.saniblog.org
Last Edit: 20 Feb 2013 22:10 by jkeichholz.
The following user(s) like this post: tmsinnovation

Re: We are now mobile! 20 Feb 2013 21:58 #3535

• muench
  • CONTACT
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)
Hello guru-Juergen!

And how did you create that QR code? I think it is very cool that SuSanA will have a QR code like this.

You wrote:
instead of an automated switch that picks a mobile-first, responsive theme based on the browser, the mobile template is only used with m.forum.susana.org

What is your advice, would you prefer it if the automated switch was enabled?

And to the other users: have you tried out the mobile-friendly version of the forum yet with your Smart Phones? Please give us some feedback - praise is also welcome.

Cheers,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Frankfurt, Germany
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Twitter: @EvMuench
Member of SuSanA (www.susana.org)

Re: We are now mobile! 20 Feb 2013 22:33 #3536

• jkeichholz
  • CONTACT
muench wrote:
how did you create that QR code?

The service I have used is goqr.me/en/ - but there are also alternatives like qrcode.kaywa.com/ . All of these services are free of charge.

muench wrote:
would you prefer it if the automated switch was enabled?

Nope, too complicated and with too many different mobile browsers that each require different strategies. I prefer this clear "m" for mobile solution. It's simple, it works, it wins!
Juergen Eichholz
watsan eng.
www.saniblog.org
The following user(s) like this post: muench, tmsinnovation, Doreen

Is there a mobile version of the forum for smartphones and tablet computers? 23 Jul 2013 13:10 #5114

• secretariat
  • CONTACT
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar,Trevor Surridge, Rahul Ingle, and the time equivalent of one intern: Sebastian Klos and Friederike Guettner
Dear all,

We have made further improvements to the mobile version of the forum (you can access it with this link: m.forum.susana.org). As part of these improvements, you can now access our interesting statistics page (which includes the user list) from the mobile version under the menu. See screenshot (you need to log in to be able to view the user list):

SuSanAforum4.png

Some links that were not working properly before have now been fixed, for example a wrong link when accessing the desktop version from a tablet computer.

Furthermore, the mobile forum has now officially moved out of beta stage. Therefore, if your forum logo still says "(beta)", then you probably need to refresh your browser or empty cache.

We are really keen to hear from you about your user experiences when you use your smart phone or tablet computer to access the mobile version of the forum (m.forum.susana.org). Do you like it? Is there anything else that needs improvements?

When you use a tablet computer, like an iPad, do you prefer to use the desktop version or the mobile version?

Last but not least, we have had a closer look at the access statistics: As one would expect, the percentage of users who access the forum with a mobile device (mobile phone or tablet computer) are on the rise. Our prediction is that this will go to at least 20% within a year from now. That's why it is so important to give these users a good mobile forum experience.

mobilestats.png

(the red vertical line represents the launch of the mobile version of the forum)

Best regards,

Hector and Elisabeth
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sustainable sanitation sector program
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org
Last Edit: 23 Jul 2013 18:03 by muench.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.48 seconds