How to deal with multiple languages on the forum and in the digest?

19.2k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: How to deal with multiple languages on the forum and in the digest?

Dear Christoph,

I think it is fair enough that Olivier wrote in French, because he posted it in the French section of the forum. But it is also fair enough that you are curious to know what he wrote.

I can only highly recommend to you all to use the free Google Translate website (no need to install anything), it is working extremely well (at least with French to English, German to English; I can't comment on the quality of Portuguese or Spanish to English because I don't speak those two languages).

Thus, I have now added to Olivier's post the translation to English, simply by copying from Google Translate (scrol up to his post to read it).

I can recommend to each person who is posting in a language other than English to also provide the translation with Google Translate (or if not, then this could be a service that the moderator team provides).

By the way, we will soon also add a category in Spanish to the forum.
But again, I think it would be best to ALSO use the translation tool to translate to English so that we achieve both goals:
1) allow people to post in the language they are comfortable with; and
2) break down language silos so that people can find out what is happening also in the French- or Spanish-speaking world (other large languages are also possible of course).

Let me post again the link to the Google Translate tool which has made my professional life a lot easier of late (you just find it within Google by clicking on the "more" button):
translate.google.com/#

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • christoph
    Topic Author
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Introduction

Oi Olivier,
é lamentável o meu frances, nao entendo muito bem nem falo.

Könntest du das gleiche mal auf Englisch schreiben?

Caso contrario esto aca se torna en un Chaos y no logramos mas nada.

Un abrazo
Christoph

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds