Sanitation security model - Sanitation and Human Security in South Sudan

Page selection:
  • bolaji
  • Topic Author

Re: Sanitation security model - Updated version

Hello All,

In response to my last post on the research on sanitation and human security in South Sudan, I have received request to provide a document explaining the model. I am attaching the updated version of the one written and shared in 2018 to this post. This version explains how the model was constructed, why it was constructed and describes the meaning of the concepts and variables. I am also attaching the research document for easy reference.

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • bolaji
  • Topic Author

Re: Sanitation and human security in South Sudan

Hi CHarlotteM,

Thank you for your message and that is indeed a good idea. I have gained greater insight about the model in the past year so I will update that document and share an improved version next week. Feel free to share with other colleagues too.

Many thanks

Bolaji

• CharlotteM
  • Marketer by profession. Expertise in sanitation social marketing targeting behavior change and positive uptake of water and sanitation projects for sustainability and maximum impact.

Dear Bolaji,

Thank you for your study and the interesting highlights that you have highlighted about the sanitation security model. To better initiate feedback and comments, would you be comfortable sharing the comprehensive document explaining the model? This would better explain some of the points you have highlighted on the PowerPoint.

Regards
Charlotte
Charlotte Mong'ina Maua
Water and Sanitation Consultant

M +254 (0) 723 571 463
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
L: Nairobi, Kenya

• bolaji
  • Topic Author

About 4.2 billion people globally lack access to safely managed sanitation while many others like those in complex emergencies are facing threats to their wellbeing on many fronts. This research examines the pathways sanitation affect human freedoms using the case of South Sudan drawing accounts from people in rural, urban and displaced persons settings. A sanitation security model was designed to understand, describe, explain, and predict the interrelationships between them. Systems analysis of the findings reveals a bidirectional relationship between both concepts with security and sustainable sanitation functioning as intervening variables.

The sanitation security model offers researchers and policymakers a generically structured approach to critical thinking rather than a formula-driven decision tool or imposing indicators. The aim is for evidence to inform the indicators thats goes into the model which is composed of concepts central to sanitation security since sanitation conditions vary across communities and within countries.

I have attached a PowerPoint document briefly describing the research to this post. Comments will be appreciated.
This attachment is hidden for guests.

This message has an attachment file.

• bolaji
  • Topic Author

Re: Sanitation security model

Dear Elizabeth,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your message. I have been away from this platform and just logging in for the first time in a while. I have attached a PowerPoint document to this message which briefly highlights my research findings. I shall be available from now on to answer further queries regarding the findings and the model itself.

Responding to your question regarding health, health is meant to be an indicator under freedom from want but not specifically highlighted in the model. The reason is that the sanitation security model offers researchers and policymakers a generically structured approach to critical thinking rather than a formula-driven decision tool or imposing indicators. The aim is for evidence to inform the indicators thats goes into the model which is composed of concepts central to sanitation security since sanitation conditions vary across communities and within countries.

I am currently finalising a set of project design matrices adapted from the model which can be used as an organising tool for identifying critical variables in programme design, the underlying logic and the relationships among them. This shall be made public in due time.

Bolaji

The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Sanitation security model

Dear Bolaji,

Welcome to the forum! Do tell us more about your PhD? If you are in the third year, then you are already quite far advanced. Have you been doing field work in South Sudan?
I looked at your attached report but couldn't really get my head around it to ask any meaningful questions. It seems very theoretical and I can't picture how you could "calibrate" this model or compare it with data.
Also I wonder why health seems to play no role in your model?

Perhaps you have a powerpoint presentation available that explains more about your work and thesis?

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• bolaji
  • Topic Author

Sanitation security model

Hello colleagues,

My name is Bolaji Ogunfemi, a third year PhD student in London researching 'Sanitation and Human Security in South Sudan'. I developed a 'Sanitation Security' model for the research and it was tested last year during fieldwork in South Sudan. As a way of making public the model and how my findings fits into it, I have written a 10 page preliminary report (which I have attached) on what the model is and its importance to sanitation research, policy and practice today. A subsequent report will be made available in due course on how it relates to my findings and the project management uses. I shall be grateful if partners could find time to read the report and offer opinions, suggestions and questions.

Thank you.
This attachment is hidden for guests.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds