Please say hello in SuSanA Edit-a-thon virtual workroom! - 19-21 March to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement (WG9)

66.9k views

Page selection:
  • Carol McCreary
    Topic Author
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Re: Please say hello in SuSanA Edit-a-thon virtual workroom!

Hello Good People!

The SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon is underway. Please come visit us in the workroom. Just click here. No password needed.
seint.adobeconnect.com/wpeditathon/ You can just listen and watch or speak or put yourself on video!

We know you are busy people. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t had a chance to edit. I want to meet you!

Event info is here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...s_you_can_contribute

The hashtag is: #edit4impact

We’re editing Wikipedia in support of World Water Day and Sustainable Development Goal 6: “Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all"!

Hope to see you soon!

Carol
Working Group 9 Co-lead with Jack Sim of WTO
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • shiny
  • Shyni David Stephen

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps

Thanks! I too registered and looking forward to edit articles on sanitation.
Shyni David Stephen
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps

Hi Marta,
Welcome! If you can translate articles into Italian - great!
Did you see here a thread about translating articles into French?:
forum.susana.org/component/kunena/198-wi...n-19th-21th-of-march

That group of students from Cranfield has made a selection of some articles to start with. If that list appeals to you, perhaps you could take the same list and do some Italian translations?

Also, like I just wrote in the French thread:
This page looks helpful for new people wishing to translate articles (perhaps you have already seen it):
meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Babylon/Tra...translators/Articles

Many Wikipedias have their own guidelines for how to handle translations.
See here the guidelines from the Italian Wikipedia:
it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Traduzioni

I hope this helps a little bit.

Have you registered yet at the Outreach Dashboard for this event so that we can track outcomes?
Click here if you haven't registered yet:
outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/courses/Su...2017?enroll=xjwmpagf

Thanks,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• martadomini

Thanks very much!
I create a wikipedia login and registered. I would be glad to support the creation of a content about Sanitation Safety Plan and to support the translation of some important articles into Italian, which are incomplete respect to the English version (as the one on Sustainable Development Goals).
Marta

• Carol McCreary
    Topic Author
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Marta,

Welcome to the Edit-a-thon. What Wikipedia articles would you like to improve? Can you create a Wikipedia account and register?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...A_Platform_Worldwide

The experts on the SuSanA team have put everything together on this page. If you have questions just ask here on the Forum and we'll see that everyone gets the assistance they need.

Please note noon (GMT) 19 March to noon 21 March there'll be a video chat room. Hope to meet you there.

Carol Mc
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

• martadomini

Yes, I’m interested!

Marta Domini
DICATAM - Department of Civil Engineering, Architecture, Land, Environment and of Mathematics
University of Brescia

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Christiana (csmyrilli),

Great to have you on board! Like I just mentioned in my reply to Abby above, please register for the edit-a-thon with your Wikipedia user name at the so-called "Outreach Dashboard" which helps us to track who's in the group and who's doing what.
Click here to register:
outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/courses/Su...2017?enroll=xjwmpagf

Then you asked the good question where to list your interest to work on that page: "Water supply and women in developing countries".

I would say:
  1. you can assign that page to yourself in Outreach Dashboard
  2. You could write on the talk page of the article to indicate to other Wikipedians what you have in mind to change there: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_w...developing_countries
  3. You could also start a new forum thread about it if you want to get more inputs from other SuSanA members.
  4. Another option (although I don't know if this will turn out to be practical) is to add your interest and user name here on the Wikpedia Meetup page where the articles are listed: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...#Articles_to_work_on
This is the first edit-a-thon that we (SuSanA members) run, so we are learning what works best as we go along. :-)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• csmyrilli

Hi Carol

I would like to work on: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_w...developing_countries
Water supply and women in developing countries

I am not sure where I need to 'register' my interest to work on this page specifically. I have registered with Wikipedia and SuSanA.

• csmyrilli

Yes I am interested

• abrown
  • Water and santation educator and researcher, University of California Santa Cruz graduate student, PHLUSH board member

Another person and I are volunteering to edit the "Right to Water" page on Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_water). My user name is Ashaya and her username is pdxislander. We are looking for others who want to join us on this same page!

We are organizing our efforts by reading the article and highlighting possible changes to occur on a Google Drive document. Then we are going to meet virtually (she from the United States and myself from France) for a few hours to make those changes on Sunday, March 19th from 18h-21h CET.

If you want to join our little virtual sub-group for this page, just reply to this message.
Read more about my work and find my contact information at:
www.abigailbrown.net
www.waterfortheages.org

• lividlili

Yes, I'm interested!

I'm a journalist (and enthusiastic Wikipedia editor) so I'm happy to help out with the pages on handwashing day, toilet day, etc.
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• former member

I am and will still be in travel during this period but will do my best to edit in selected articles.
..Steve Mecca
Professor, Dept. of Engineering-Physics-Systems
Director of the S-Lab
President, Global Sustainable Aid Project

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name smecca who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds