Please say hello in SuSanA Edit-a-thon virtual workroom! - 19-21 March to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement (WG9)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Please say hello in SuSanA Edit-a-thon virtual workroom! - 19-21 March to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement (WG9)

Please say hello in SuSanA Edit-a-thon virtual workroom! - 19-21 March to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement (WG9) 22 Feb 2017 22:14 #20564

• Click here to view this person’s forum profile
    Carol McCreary
  • This button allows you to contact another forum user directly by sending a private message.
  • I'm with PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org
Featured User
Mar 2016
Dear Members of SuSanA Working Group 9 (Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement)!

Your expertise is needed!

SuSanA has announced an Edit-a-thon to commemorate World Water Day and to improve WASH-related Wikipedia articles. Educating the public is critical to the achievement of Sustainable Development Goal Number 6 (SDG6): "Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all".

Therefore, this event is taking place:

What: World Water Day Wikipedia Edit-A-Thon
When: 19-20 March 2017
Where: Wherever you and your computer are.
Who: You can contribute solo, or work with a group of friends.
Why you? You are committed to achieving SDG6.
Why now? Achieving water and sanitation for all requires educating and informing all stakeholders. Wikipedia is the 5th most often visited website in the world.

Next steps for you:
  1. Register your interest by replying in this thread and posting “Yes, I’m interested!” to this thread.
  2. Look at the list of suggested articles to work on below, and provide your feedback or comments. Which article would you like to work on?
  3. Have a look at what the other working groups will work on here: forum.susana.org/component/kunena/213-wo...clock-together#20524
  4. Learn to edit Wikipedia articles by giving it a go (this page can get you started: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation) and by viewing short videos which we will post here next week: forum.susana.org/component/kunena/213-wo...d-the-clock-together

What if I can’t make it on 19-20 March?
No problem. You can edit Wikipedia anytime. Please let us know what you’re working on. This effort is supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant to SuSanA. The project team wants to know how many SuSanA members contribute to the Edit-a-Thon.

What if I don’t have a reliable internet connection?
As an editor you can help in so many ways. Write new content. Improve existing content. Correct errors. Add images. Add references with links.

What if I have more questions?
Just ask. We want to make it easy for you.

Let’s pull together for SDG6! Please join this Edit-a-thon.

Kind regards,

Carol McCreary and Jack Sim
Co-leads for SuSanA Working Group 9

+++++++++++

Wikipedia articles that WG members could work on:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Water_Day World Water Day
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Toilet_Day World Toilet Day
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Handwashing_Day Global Handwashing Day
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_water Right to water (the title of this article should probably be changed to "Human right to water and sanitation")
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights Human Rights
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitation Sanitation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WASH WASH
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_sanitation Sustainable sanitation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocacy Advocacy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_society_campaign Civil society campaign
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_toilet Public toilet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo Taboo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shit Shit - Add something on "contemporary professional use"?

Other article ideas (perhaps lower priority):
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swachh_Bharat_Abhiyan Swachh Bharat Abhiyan (Clean Indian Campaign)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biogeochemical_cycle Biogeochemical cycle
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failures_of_water_...d_sanitation_systems Failures of water supply and sanitation systems
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_w...developing_countries Water supply and women in developing countries
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Sim Jack Sim
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_Water_Prize Stockholm Water Prize
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene Hygiene
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compost Compost - Add something about aerobic composting of the contents of dry toilets.

Possible articles for creation:
  • Catarina de Albuquerque
  • Awareness campaign

... Your ideas?
Carol McCreary
Join the SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon for World Water Day!
Last Edit: 24 Feb 2017 13:43 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: abrown, shiny, Madhuri, jeremy

Re: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 05:04 #20569

drspmehra
  • This button allows you to contact another forum user directly by sending a private message.
Yes, I’m interested because I am working for conserving natural heritage through mass mobilization and community sensitization at local level in the largest state of India, i.e., Rajasthan. As per the Indian Constitutional provision of Article 51A(g), it is my duty to engage in such awareness programs and event.

Warm Regards

Dr. Satya Prakash Mehra, PhD, MSc; LLB, PGP DM
Fellow IFEE 2016, ILCW Fellow 2015, UHF Fellow 2009,
Environmentalist of the Year award 2015, Regional Young Conservationist Award 2008
Advisor & Founder Member – RSNH; Representative (Rajasthan Projects) - Natural Solutions, Mumbai; Consultants (Sudan Project) - KUSHEES, Khartoum
Fellow member- IFEE
Life Member - NIEP, INSEE, NCPRO, PFA, RSNH, PETA, JALIS, RASE
Associate Member - INTACH, BSCNH
Member - Emergency Relief Network (ERN) WTI & IFAW, Oriental Bird Club (OBC)
Online Member - CFA, GWA, INHWTS, IUCN-CEC, WCEL
Ex-Employee - Supreme Food Services (Switzerland/UAE/Afghanistan), WWF-India (Keoladeo National Park, Bharatpur & Mt Abu WLS, Sirohi), Bombay Natural History Society (Mumbai)
Environmental Professional cum Social Activist
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 11:41 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: abrown

RE: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 06:35 #20570

PHG

Dr Abdelrahman Alamarah Tamimi

PhD.Ms eng.MA,
Director -General
Palestinian Hydrology group for Water and Environmental Resources Development
Ramallah.POBOX 565
The Palestinian Authority

www.phg.org
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 11:51 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: abrown

Re: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 06:50 #20571

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Hi Dr. Mehtra,

How great to have your expertise on the Edit-a-thon!

More emails will reach you as the committee rolls out this Edit-a-thon. In the meantime, pease share your recommendations on this event. I hope you’ll tell colleagues.

And would you consider also inviting people who like to translate? It would be great if we could get some of the basic Wikipedia articles translated into many other languages. Maybe even university students in departments of languages and linguistics would be interested in celebrating World Water Day with SuSanA.

I am especially interested that you are working in a very dry area. The WTD theme this year is “Why wastewater? Why waste water?” Two very good questions!

Best wishes,

Carol
Carol McCreary
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 11:43 by muench.

Re: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 07:28 #20573

mdgvolunteerskenya
Hi team
I'm very interested to participate.

Thanks

Chrispin ochieng okum
WASH program coordinator.MDG.
+254 703839238
MDG FOR SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 11:45 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

Re: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 07:51 #20575

ossai
Dear Team Leads,

I am interested first because I voluntarily requested to be a member of this group and because I believe that achieving SDG 6 is a worthy course.

Therefore, I see the opportunity of contributing to global development leveraging my experience and expertise.

Looking forward to the day.

Thank you

Ossai ilome
Your Life is the Work of a Creator, What have you Created for others?
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 11:44 by muench.

Re: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 08:03 #20578

JosephHeho
Thanks Carol

-- joseph Heho

''Action is the foundational key to all success''.
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 11:49 by muench.

No subject 23 Feb 2017 08:31 #20579

CROCODILA
I'm a freelance journalist based in Nairobi, Kenya. I am interested.
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 11:48 by muench.

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement 23 Feb 2017 09:21 #20580

keriem
Yes iam interested

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement 23 Feb 2017 09:51 #20581

drspmehra
I would like to submit from my experiences on the topic:
1. Inclusion of customary and indigenous approach (customs and traditions) of different cultures/ ethnic groups/ nations on the topic;
2. Linking local grass root level team with the regional and global platform with due respect to their customs & traditions on the Wikipedia;
3. Wikipedia app for the desired topic of interest for mass awareness, advocacy and CSO engagements;
4. Networking groups on the Wikipedia where an individual could get in touch with the platforms at every level.
Environmental Professional cum Social Activist

registration 23 Feb 2017 11:54 #20585

poorpeople123
Yes, I am glad to work in this field !

Sincerely,
Nagendra Prasad Rijal

Founder/ Chairman
Sakcham Rural Nepal
www.srn.org.np
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 11:47 by muench.

RE: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 13:47 #20586

fafuruma
I am interested in translating articles from English to Portuguese.
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 13:30 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, CeciliaRodrigues

interested 23 Feb 2017 14:57 #20588

GodwinGrant1975
Yes, I’m interested because…
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 14:00 by muench.

Re: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 18:39 #20589

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Thanks, Ossai,

Yes, I think we can help the general public learn about SDG6 through this Edit-a-thon. Did you know there is not yet a Wikipedia article on SDG6 (only for the SDGs in general)? That's a task for us.

I hope you can get together with others in Abuja at the office or in a coffee shop. Stay tuned. There will be a video chat room where we can meet face to face.

Carol
Carol McCreary
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 19:20 by muench.

Re: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 18:58 #20590

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Joseph,

Good to hear from you regarding the Edit-a-thon. Where do you work?

(I couldn’t find you on the SuSanA Forum yet)

Best wishes,

Carol
Carol McCreary
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 19:15 by muench.

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement 23 Feb 2017 18:18 #20591

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Hi Lucy,

Thank you for your interest in the World Water Day Edit-a-thon.

Do you have any special articles you would like to work on?

I hope you can get together with others in Nairobi at the office or in a coffee shop.

Stay tuned. There will be a video chat room where we can meet face to face.

Best wishes,

Carol
Carol McCreary

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement 23 Feb 2017 18:33 #20593

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Great to hear from you, Keriem. What's your country? Will you be joining the Edit-a-thon with some colleagues and friends?

Hope to say hi to you in the chat room on March 19 or 20th.

Carol
Carol McCreary

Re: interested 23 Feb 2017 18:53 #20594

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Hi, Godwin,

It will be great to have you on this Edit-a-thon. Where are you located? And what topics and Wikipedia articles are you interested in?

Carol
Carol McCreary

Re: registration 23 Feb 2017 18:59 #20595

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Nagendra,

So good to know there will be Edit-a-thon participation in Nepal. I hope you can pass the word to your friends and colleagues.

Did you know you can promote your local World Water Day event with your logo or a picture on the UN World Water Day site? Here is the link.www.worldwaterday.org/submit-event/

Is that your picture on the Sakcham Rural Nepal website? Your message there is very inspiring.

On behalf of the whole Edit-a-thon team at SuSanA,
Best wishes,

Carol
Carol McCreary

Re: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 19:12 #20596

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Hi Felipe

How wonderful to know of your interest in translating sanitation articles on Wikipedia into Portuguese!

Do you know of special needs or do you have favorite articles?

Thank you!

Carol
Carol McCreary
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 19:16 by muench.

Re: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 23 Feb 2017 19:33 #20597

ossai
Yes... I will be willing to host other members in Abuja or be at the office if there is any Susana office in Abuja.
Your Life is the Work of a Creator, What have you Created for others?
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 19:07 by muench.

Re: No subject 23 Feb 2017 19:05 #20598

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
George,

Nothing is better than hearing from a journalist! Journalists are the ones who really get the word out and educate the public on World Water Day and on World Toilet Day. And you have a lot of sanitation news to report to the world from Nairobi.

Please, can you help the Edit-a-thon committee know which topics and Wikipedia articles are most important to journalist in your opinion? In your experience?

Thanks, Carol
Carol McCreary
Last Edit: 23 Feb 2017 19:21 by muench.

RE: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 24 Feb 2017 12:50 #20609

Peopleserve
  • Registered NGO whose mission is to empower women and children fight poverty. We do this by addressing underlying causes of poverty. Lack of clean water is one such cause of poverty
Yes, I am interested

Caleb C. Ng’ombo,
Executive Director,
People Serving Girls At Risk,
P.O. Box 1841,
Blantyre – Malawi

www.peopleserving.webs.com
www.facebook.com/peopleservinggirlsatrisk
Twitter @PSGRBlantyre

………………………because a child in need is a child who cannot wait…………………..
Empowering lives - one at a time
Last Edit: 24 Feb 2017 13:32 by muench.

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement 27 Feb 2017 06:41 #20645

jeremy
Yes I'm interested because I believe that everyone has the right to a clean and safe toilet. The topics I am interested in are:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Toilet_Day
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Toilet_Organization
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Sim

Jeremy Khoo
Communications Manager
Office: +65 6352 8921
Facebook: www.facebook.com/WTO.org
Twitter: @worldtoilet

Re: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 28 Feb 2017 21:50 #20686

handsorg21
Dear All,
Is this project Eligible / available our local area or only international
Last Edit: 28 Feb 2017 23:07 by muench.

Thanks for joining SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon and next steps 28 Feb 2017 22:10 #20690

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Dear Caleb from Malawi, Shawn from New York City, Anastasis from Greece, Joseph from Kenya, Abby from France, Jeremy from Singapore, and Omolade from ?:

Thank you for your recent messages and interest in bringing your expertise to the SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon for World Water Day.

Our colleague Ruth Miskelly has posted a YouTube video on How to Start Editing on the Forum here: forum.susana.org/component/kunena/213-wo...d-the-clock-together More videos will be coming so that’s a good page to bookmark.

You don’t have to edit to be part of the Edit-a-thon. We need researchers who can find quality information with links. We need writers. We need translators. Bookmark the link above and look for more instructional videos in the future.

And we need people to get the word out about the Edit-a-thon. Consider having a local event where people work together. Or tell colleagues far away to join virtually and in the online chat room (to be announced).

Our page for Working Group 9 (Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement) is here: forum.susana.org/component/kunena/62-wg-...l-society-engagement

If your organization also is having a local event for the SuSanA Edit-a-thon, you can post an announcemnet on the UN World Water Day site here. www.worldwaterday.org/submit-event/

Best wishes,

Carol McCreary
Together with Esther Shaylor Ruth Miskelly, Elisabeth von Muench, and Diane Kellogg (members of the Grant Consortium of the SEI grant by BMGF on “Supporting SuSanA and the broader Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Community of Practice through an online platform”)
Carol McCreary
Last Edit: 28 Feb 2017 23:05 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: DianeKellogg

Re: Thanks for joining SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon and next steps 28 Feb 2017 23:10 #20693

muench
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)
Dear Abdullahi Nor Mohamed (handsorg21),

You asked:
Is this project Eligible / available our local area or only international

This initiative is asking anyone to get involved, whereever you are. You do have to have some sort of internet access though. And please note that this activity is not paid. Wikipedia editing, just like contributing to SuSanA, is a voluntary activity that is not paid but will benefit you and everyone else in the longer term, we hope.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Community manager of this forum via SEI
(see: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects?search=SEI)
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Twitter: @EvMuench, website: www.ostella.de
Last Edit: 28 Feb 2017 23:10 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: DianeKellogg

RE: Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - 19-20 March Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 01 Mar 2017 13:38 #20700

thakurputul

I am interested for Edit-athon.

Regards,
Putul Thakur
PSI
Last Edit: 01 Mar 2017 14:19 by muench.
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary, DianeKellogg

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement 02 Mar 2017 00:33 #20709

dwipayanti
I am interested too. And I can help to translate the material into Bahasa Indonesia

Cheers
Yanti

Re: Thanks for joining SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon and next steps 02 Mar 2017 10:17 #20715

JosephHeho
Thanks Carol,

I believe this will be much fun and also a learning curve as we all share out expertise in our respective areas

Thanks and looking forward to work with you all

Best,

*Joseph Heho *| *Program Manager* | *ZanaAfrica.org*
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2017 23:55 by muench.

RE: Thanks for joining SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon and next steps 02 Mar 2017 15:49 #20719

Peopleserve
  • Registered NGO whose mission is to empower women and children fight poverty. We do this by addressing underlying causes of poverty. Lack of clean water is one such cause of poverty
Dear Carol,

Greetings from Malawi, the ‘Warm Heart of Africa!’

I hope this mail finds you well. Thank you for the links you provided in line with the SuSanA Wikipedia-a-thon for World Water Day. Pleasure is mine and I feel honored to participate in the event, especially that I have the opportunity to contribute my expertise. Likewise, I am sure that there is a lot that I am going to learn from my participation!

I would be happy to link up with everyone in this conversation thread so that we can keep the momentum!

Kindest regards

Caleb C. Ng’ombo,
Executive Director,
People Serving Girls At Risk,
P.O. Box 1841,
Blantyre – Malawi

www.peopleserving.webs.com
www.facebook.com/peopleservinggirlsatrisk
Twitter @PSGRBlantyre
skype Id: people.serve
Empowering lives - one at a time
Last Edit: 02 Mar 2017 23:54 by muench.

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement 07 Mar 2017 06:19 #20755

Madhuri
Hello,

Yes, I am interested to awareness raising in community special for women as safe drinking water and translatation in nepali.

Madhuri B.K
Nepal-WASH promoter
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement 07 Mar 2017 19:25 #20763

lizkora
Hi, I am Liz,
I am interested in taking part in this project which is aimed at improving info on Wikipedia.I received a response earlier but that message was mistakenly addressed to Dr. Mehtra.

Re: Take part in edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement 07 Mar 2017 19:52 #20764

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Hi Liz,

Good to hear from you. Do you work with Dr. Mehra in Bharatpur? Looks like that's in Rajasthan. Must be beautiful. Is everyone getting ready to celebrate Holi?

Here is a special "Meetup page" on Wikipedia that the SuSanA committee wrote just for Edit-a-thon participants. It tells us what to do to get ready for the event. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...A_Platform_Worldwide

Carol
Carol McCreary

Re: Thanks for joining SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon and next steps 07 Mar 2017 20:08 #20765

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Hi Caleb, Hi Joseph, Hi Shawn, Hi Anatassis, Hi Abby, Hi Jeremy, Hi Lekon, Hi Abdelrahman, Hi Chrispin, Hi, Satya, Hi Madhuri, Hi Yanti, Hi Patul, HI George, Hi Abdullahi, Hi Kareim, and a big HELLO to everyone else who’s joining the Edit-a-thon,

What a wonderful team of Wikipedia editors and translators we have from Working Group 9. Thank you for your encouraging messages, Caleb and Joseph. Yes, please reach out to the other team members so we can get to know one another.

It would be wonderful to know about the different kinds of collective expertise we have in this group. It’s really great that we have folks who can translate into Napali, Portuguese and Bahasa Indonesia. If translation will help you promote sustainable WASH in your country, please consider doing that. Everyone should start looking at Wikipedia articles in English and choose the most interesting, or the ones you’ll use in your work, or the ones that need to be brought up to date. (Some ideas are in my post of February 22)

I am not formally trained in sanitation. Just about everything I know I learned from the SuSanA Library and the Forum and by taking the free MOOC Planning and Design of Sanitation Systems and Technologies. I worked for many years as an English teacher and even published articles on grammar so I can be useful to the Edit-a-thon in that way. After I went back to university to train for a second career, I worked mostly in communications (especially health and HIV/AIDS) and training (especially community workshops in Participatory Project Design). After moving back to the US I was horrified at the lack of public toilets! And nobody was talking about the problem. It was taboo. So PHLUSH formed to talk about it. For World Toilet Day 2015 we put our learnings into the PHLUSH Public Toilet Advocacy Toolkit, which is available in the SuSanA Library and here. toolkit.phlush.org/ I’m really interested in your experiences of creating awareness, mobilizing communities and rallying the support of government officials.

Now here is a special Wikipedia “Meetup page” that the committee at SuSanA wrote just for you Edit-a-thon participants. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...A_Platform_Worldwide It tells you how to Register with Wikipedia and get on the Participant List. My participant name is Cryacrem - that’s an anagram of my last name - McCreary. You can choose any name you like but it shouldn’t be your real name.

Now I’m going to read through the “Meetup page” and click on the links and watch the training videos to get ready for the Edit-a-thon. It also explains the different jobs you can choose - editing,doing research, finding images, translating etc. By the way, we’re writing the date as 19-21 March so everyone has 48 hours. Around the world. Around the clock.

I’m excited about my first Edit-a-thon and meeting all of you. Please stay in touch and share your thoughts.

Best wishes,

Carol

Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)

www.phlush.org
@PortlandPHLUSH Join PHLUSH on Facebook
Partner of the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance
Carol McCreary
Last Edit: 08 Mar 2017 00:44 by Carol McCreary. Reason: typo

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 10 Mar 2017 11:30 #20794

shiny
Yes. I'm interested.
Shyni David Stephen

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 10 Mar 2017 14:20 #20801

fppirco
Dear Carol

Thank you for your notification , I am interested make an any contribution in Wikipedia improvement for public Awareness in wetland construction issue.

With best regards;

Mohammad Mojtabaei

wwww.fpp.ir
Last Edit: 10 Mar 2017 18:15 by fppirco. Reason: correction

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 10 Mar 2017 17:59 #20806

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Dear Mohammed, Shiny, and Ecowaters Carol:

We need your expertise!

Please sign up to join on the SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon page here. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...A_Platform_Worldwide

The committee has made some how-to-videos that I find very helpful. This is a good page to bookmark and refer to while editing. www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0gMdVBup...-hIwDT1oeZd4mn-syMLm I find it quite hard to remember everything and am happy we don't have to.

It's evidence-based sustainable sanitation that works that we need. Working Group 9 is also interested in awareness materials, advocacy case studies, translation, videos in local languages and all the ways the info can reach the public.

Carol
Carol McCreary
Last Edit: 10 Mar 2017 18:01 by Carol McCreary. Reason: left off name

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 10 Mar 2017 18:23 #20807

smecca
  • It is said that you are what you think about every day; if that's the case, then I am a toilet!
I am and will still be in travel during this period but will do my best to edit in selected articles.
..Steve Mecca
Professor, Dept. of Engineering-Physics-Systems
Director of the S-Lab
President, Global Sustainable Aid Project
Stephen Mecca, Ph.D.
Professor
Department Engineering-Physics-Systems
S-Lab
Providence College

Visiting Scholar
Department of Computer Engineering
Faculty of Engineering Science
University of Ghana

Project coordinator at Ghana Sustainable Aid Project:
www.ghanasustainableaid.org/

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 13 Mar 2017 05:02 #20827

lividlili
Yes, I'm interested!

I'm a journalist (and enthusiastic Wikipedia editor) so I'm happy to help out with the pages on handwashing day, toilet day, etc.
The following user(s) like this post: muench

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 15 Mar 2017 08:38 #20852

abrown
  • Water and santation educator and researcher, University of California Santa Cruz graduate student, PHLUSH board member
Another person and I are volunteering to edit the "Right to Water" page on Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_water). My user name is Ashaya and her username is pdxislander. We are looking for others who want to join us on this same page!

We are organizing our efforts by reading the article and highlighting possible changes to occur on a Google Drive document. Then we are going to meet virtually (she from the United States and myself from France) for a few hours to make those changes on Sunday, March 19th from 18h-21h CET.

If you want to join our little virtual sub-group for this page, just reply to this message.
Read more about my work and find my contact information at:
www.abigailbrown.net
www.waterfortheages.org
Last Edit: 15 Mar 2017 12:37 by muench. Reason: added link

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 15 Mar 2017 10:35 #20853

csmyrilli
Yes I am interested

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 15 Mar 2017 10:44 #20854

csmyrilli
Hi Carol

I would like to work on: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_w...developing_countries
Water supply and women in developing countries

I am not sure where I need to 'register' my interest to work on this page specifically. I have registered with Wikipedia and SuSanA.
Last Edit: 15 Mar 2017 12:37 by muench. Reason: corrected the link

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 15 Mar 2017 13:21 #20857

muench
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)
Dear Christiana (csmyrilli),

Great to have you on board! Like I just mentioned in my reply to Abby above, please register for the edit-a-thon with your Wikipedia user name at the so-called "Outreach Dashboard" which helps us to track who's in the group and who's doing what.
Click here to register:
outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/courses/Su...2017?enroll=xjwmpagf

Then you asked the good question where to list your interest to work on that page: "Water supply and women in developing countries".

I would say:
  1. you can assign that page to yourself in Outreach Dashboard
  2. You could write on the talk page of the article to indicate to other Wikipedians what you have in mind to change there: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_supply_and_w...developing_countries
  3. You could also start a new forum thread about it if you want to get more inputs from other SuSanA members.
  4. Another option (although I don't know if this will turn out to be practical) is to add your interest and user name here on the Wikpedia Meetup page where the articles are listed: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...#Articles_to_work_on

This is the first edit-a-thon that we (SuSanA members) run, so we are learning what works best as we go along.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 15 Mar 2017 18:34 #20862

martadomini
Yes, I’m interested!

Marta Domini
DICATAM - Department of Civil Engineering, Architecture, Land, Environment and of Mathematics
University of Brescia

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 15 Mar 2017 18:53 #20863

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Marta,

Welcome to the Edit-a-thon. What Wikipedia articles would you like to improve? Can you create a Wikipedia account and register?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...A_Platform_Worldwide

The experts on the SuSanA team have put everything together on this page. If you have questions just ask here on the Forum and we'll see that everyone gets the assistance they need.

Please note noon (GMT) 19 March to noon 21 March there'll be a video chat room. Hope to meet you there.

Carol Mc
Carol McCreary
Last Edit: 15 Mar 2017 22:52 by muench. Reason: inserted GMT

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 16 Mar 2017 12:13 #20884

martadomini
Thanks very much!
I create a wikipedia login and registered. I would be glad to support the creation of a content about Sanitation Safety Plan and to support the translation of some important articles into Italian, which are incomplete respect to the English version (as the one on Sustainable Development Goals).
Marta

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 16 Mar 2017 13:35 #20888

muench
Hi Marta,
Welcome! If you can translate articles into Italian - great!
Did you see here a thread about translating articles into French?:
forum.susana.org/component/kunena/198-wi...n-19th-21th-of-march

That group of students from Cranfield has made a selection of some articles to start with. If that list appeals to you, perhaps you could take the same list and do some Italian translations?

Also, like I just wrote in the French thread:
This page looks helpful for new people wishing to translate articles (perhaps you have already seen it):
meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Meta:Babylon/Tra...translators/Articles

Many Wikipedias have their own guidelines for how to handle translations.
See here the guidelines from the Italian Wikipedia:
it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Traduzioni

I hope this helps a little bit.

Have you registered yet at the Outreach Dashboard for this event so that we can track outcomes?
Click here if you haven't registered yet:
outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/courses/Su...2017?enroll=xjwmpagf

Thanks,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant

Re: Edit-a-thon on 19-20 March (and before) to improve Wikipedia for Public Awareness, Advocacy and Civil Society Engagement - next steps 17 Mar 2017 09:47 #20901

shiny
Thanks! I too registered and looking forward to edit articles on sanitation.
Shyni David Stephen

Please say hello in SuSanA Edit-a-thon virtual workroom! 20 Mar 2017 16:12 #20953

Carol McCreary
Featured User
Mar 2016
Hello Good People!

The SuSanA Wikipedia Edit-a-thon is underway. Please come visit us in the workroom. Just click here. No password needed.
seint.adobeconnect.com/wpeditathon/ You can just listen and watch or speak or put yourself on video!

We know you are busy people. It doesn’t matter if you haven’t had a chance to edit. I want to meet you!

Event info is here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/S...s_you_can_contribute

The hashtag is: #edit4impact

We’re editing Wikipedia in support of World Water Day and Sustainable Development Goal 6: “Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all"!

Hope to see you soon!

Carol
Working Group 9 Co-lead with Jack Sim of WTO
Carol McCreary
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2017 20:35 by muench.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 1.68 seconds