Integrated plannning of varied waste streams

Page selection:
  • netwas

Re: Integrated plannning of varied waste streams

This is a good starting point. NETWAS Uganda is supporting integrated planning for waste streams through supporting town councils develop sanitation safety plans. So far the WASH SDG Subprogramme in Agago, three sanitation safety plans were developed for three town councils of Kalongo, Patongo and Agago.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Re: Integrated plannning of varied waste streams

As we commemorate the international Day of Zero Waste on 30th March this year. I thought to bring this conversation back to the top. Particularly highlighting how different Sanitation waste streams interact in this diagram extracted from Mugendi's post: 

She also in her blog highlights some really useful tools that are relevant to waste management in the sanitation sector. 

1. Shit Flow Diagram (SFD): is mainly a sanitation service assessment tool, but it also considers the groundwater situation.
2. Waste Flow Calculator: is a rapid assessment tool for faecal waste quantification. 
3. City Service Delivery Assessment (CSDA) and 4. Urban Sanitation Status Index (USSI): These are two complementary tools for sanitation service assessment:
5. City MSW rapid assessment & collection tool, 6.  Waste flow diagram and 7. Waste Wise City Tool: For solid waste assessment,  The Waste Flow Diagram mainly considers plastic waste for planning, while the Waste Wise City Tool specifically includes the generation of food waste.  
8. WASHCost 9. CLARA Planning Tool and 10.  Life-Cycle Cost: WASH and Sanitation decision support tools. 

Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

Attachments:

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

Re: Integrating waste streams

This is fantastic work Ann. Thank you for sharing.

I would add CEPT University's SANIPLAN to your list of tools. It enables planning for drinking water supply, sanitation, SWM, and storm water management sectors both individually and in an integrated manner. Further, the plan can be integrated with the finances of the service provider and outputs foreseen in terms of improvements in service levels. It is the most comprehensive tool in my opinion.  I was part of the team that developed and tested the tool, and we used it extensively for preparing city sanitation plans of 4 towns in Maharashtra.

I would encourage interested members to check the resources available on their website cwas.org.in/ to know more about the tool, its approach, and applications.

Kind regards
paresh 
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
The following user(s) like this post: AMugendi

• abisheknarayan
  • Researcher at Eawag-Sandec. Interests in Sanitation Planning, Urban WASH, CWIS. Co-Lead for WG-6 on Cities. Follow me on Twitter @abishek_water

Re: Integrating waste streams

This is a useful review for our work on integrating water and waste streams, at Eawag (www.sandec.ch/integrate). We hope to build on this further to evaluate which planning tools and approaches are more usable for an integrated planning process. 

Thank you for sharing. 

Best
Abishek
Abishek S Narayan
Co-lead for SuSanA WG-6: Cities
Researcher, Eawag-Sandec
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @abishek_water
The following user(s) like this post: AMugendi

• AMugendi
    Topic Author
  • Sanitation Practitioner(MSc Sanitation, IHE Delft) Former intern at International Water and Sanitation Center(IRC). I am passionate about urban non-severed sanitation, promoting safe hygiene practices in communities, advocating for social justice, gender equality, and climate change adaptation.

Integrated plannning of varied waste streams

Faecal, greywater and solid waste have been managed separately over the years making it difficult to effectively manage these wastes due to their overlaps. Despite the many tools available for managing these wastes, none of the tools reviewed found an assessment tool that looks at all three streams with equal importance and can identify the points where one waste stream joins another. Without such a tool, it is difficult to advocate for integrated planning of waste and planning of urban infrastructure. 
I conducted a literature review on the existing waste tools and created this blog on   Integrated waste management assessment and planning

Kindly read and share your views.

Thank you 
The following user(s) like this post: abisheknarayan, Chaiwe

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds