Environmental Health Risk Assessment to support City Sanitation Planning

17.8k views

Page selection:
  • jonpar
    Topic Author
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Environmental Health Risk Assessment to support City Sanitation Planning

Dear SuSanA-City people,

I am excited by the application for Environmental Health Risk Assessment (EHRA) to support city sanitation planning and it's potential as a tool for 'sanitation safety planning'. This is an area that WHO and IWA are both interested in and work is underway to produce a methodology for this purpose. But this is not altogether new as there are however existing experiences such as in Indonesia. For more information, please see :

www.iwawaterwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Arti...AStudyImplementation for more information.

I see this approach providing an "entry point" into the complexities urban sanitation sector insofar as the mean in which local stakeholders can identify where the problems lie (both geographically and the main causal factors); leading to a diagnostic and a discussion about roles and responsibilities in dealing with the problems. (Note that this is different from water safety planning which starts with a better defined system (both physically and institutionally).

We have organised a couple of interested workshops recently. One at the UNC Water and Health conference and one at the IWA Water Safety Planning conference in Kampala. You can see the presentation on IWA's WaterWiki :

www.iwawaterwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Even...tationSafetyPlanning

www.iwawaterwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Even...tationSafetyPlanning

I'd be interested in your feedback on this and any experiences that you have to share.

best regards,

Jonathan

Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Programmes Manager

email : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Telephone: + 44 20 300 48528
Mobile: + 44 770 220 2646

twitter.com/#!/jparkinson_IWA

International Water Association
Alliance House, 12 Caxton Street
London SW1H 0QS, UK

www.iwahq.org

Company registered in England No. 3597005
Registered Charity (England) No. 1076690
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds