LaDePa is a faecal sludge pelletising machine in eThekwini (Durban)

• jbr
  • Regular forum user
  • John Brogan; WASH and DRR Advisor for Terre des hommes (Tdh)

Re: LaDePa is a faecal sludge pelletising machine in eThekwini (Durban)

This has been an interesting and inspiring project/post to follow!
About the step where the solid garbage/detritus is separated from the fecal sludge (before the sludge is processed into pellets): What happens to the detritus separated out in the screw conveyor? Does it receive special treatment or go to a special landfill? I was concerned about those who work in informal sector waste recycling.

Thank you
John Brogan
Terre des hommes

John Brogan
Terre des hommes
You need to login to reply
  • muench
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

Re: LaDePa is a faecal sludge pelletising machine in eThekwini (Durban)

Dear Hajo,

Good questions! I would also like to know about an update.
Just letting you know that I've e-mailed some people in the background in May. So far no luck. I was told by Santiago Septien that the main responsible for the LaDePa plant is Dave Wilson. I've just sent him another e-mail now. So I hope we'll soon hear something either from Dave or from someone else from Durban.

John: as far as I know the garbage that was separated out just goes to landfill. What kind of special treatment would you have in mind or why? Are you thinking of incineration?

Regards,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant
Community manager of this forum via SEI
(see: www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )
Wikipedian, co-founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench, website:...
The following user(s) like this post: mirara
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Time to create page: 0.314 seconds