38th WEDC INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE (27–31 July 2015, Loughborough, UK) - feedback

11.5k views

Page selection:
  • Rod
    Topic Author

Re: 38th WEDC INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE : Call for papers and other contributions (27–31 July 2015, Loughborough, UK)

Please note that the lecture cams need to be verified with the authors. They won't be publicly available until this process has been completed.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: 38th WEDC INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE : Call for papers and other contributions (27–31 July 2015, Loughborough, UK)

Just to "round off" this thread about the last WEDC conference, I wanted to point out that the organizers have produced films about the conference which they invite you to watch and share with colleagues who may be interested in attending future WEDC conferences.

They are available here:

General promotional video about WEDC conferences:

Conference delegates voices:

Conference exhibitors:

Hah! I just spotted Trevor talking about SuSanA here in the video at 3m3s:

The conference presentations had also been filmed with small "lecture cams". I have asked the organizers about three times what ever happened to that filmed material, but they never responded. :-( So I guess no answer is also an answer: the filmed presentations are not available.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Susan,
Thanks for following my call to post your recent presentation from the WEDC conference here, much appreciated!

Dear WEDC presenters,

For others who read this and who were at the conference, please put your presentation (and paper) here, too (or put it in a new thematic thread). Personally, I prefer to have the presentation first and foremost, as it gives me a quick visual impression. If I want to read more, I then turn to the conference paper. If I only see the conference paper, it might not have the same effect in terms of catching people's attention.

Dear all,
I want to share here a video from a session at the conference called:

Developing the market for local WASH businesses: lessons from pit emptying in Africa

Organizers: Stone Family Foundation (SFF) with WSUP, WaterAid, Water for People

The video's title is "Pit Emptying and Marketplace Development: A Mucky Business" and it was commissioned by Water for People (Uganda, I think):

vimeo.com/129443351

(I can't figure out how to display the preview image with a Vimeo video like it's done with a Youtube video?)

The video is well worth watching.

Interesting to see a project funded (or an event supported) by the Stone Family Foundation (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Family_Foundation)

It was a lively session. Some tweets from this event included:

+++++++

Alison Parker ‏@alisonhparker 29. Juli
Steve Sugden from @waterforpeople - low demand for pit emptying. So how do we encourage investments in businesses? #wedc38

Nicola Greene ‏@NicNakNoe 29. Juli
@alisonhparker @waterforpeople pay rather than charge for receiving waste at a treatment plant? Then they'll find customers #wedc38

Nicola Greene ‏@NicNakNoe 29. Juli
@alisonhparker @WSUPUK @RemKau we are considering cheaper transport provision though. Currently 50% of fee=transport #wedc38

Georges Mikhael from @WSUPUK and @RemKau putting forward arguments for subsidies for pit emptying #wedc38

Peer to peer learning a good way to build capacity in pit emptying entrepreneurs Steve Sugden @waterforpeople #wedc38

Elisabeth von Muench ‏@EvMuench 29. Juli
I was there! Felt a bit "NGO heavy" and narrow focus on just pit emptying but glad that Georges stressed govt. role

Rémi Kaupp ‏@RemKau 29. Juli
@EvMuench Well, it was an NGO session ;-)

Elisabeth von Muench ‏@EvMuench 29. Juli
@RemKau Are there perhaps too many "NGO sessions" at the #wedc38 conference? Missing more local government and utilities presenting...

++++++++++

I hope you found this post useful (if you are interested in this topic). I am just trying to ensure those people who didn't attend the conference can also share a bit in the learning. And those people who did attend, get a little reminder of what was presented and discussed there.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Improvedavis
  • Interested in evidence of what works over time

Hello All - I really enjoyed the WEDC conference and learned a great deal. I'm sharing my presentation "Future Proofing Rural Water Systems" in blog form here: improveinternational.wordpress.com/2015/...rural-water-systems/

Highlights of the discussions at the conference relating to post-construction support of water services:
  • Gill: Put more money towards development of supply chain and maintenance capacity – e.g., sacrifice project budget for one or two water points towards identifying, training, setting up centralized private mechanic.
  • Multiple: Follow up after ODF certification (CLTS) is extremely important, maybe as important as the approach itself.

Some organizations that are doing post-construction support include Maluti GSM, Water Missions International, and WHAVE.
Susan Davis
Executive Director
Improve International

• Elisabeth

The WEDC conference in Loughborough is now over. I have encouraged all presenters via twitter (hashtag #wedc38) to post their presentations here in this thread (or to start a new thematic thread). So I will lead by example and am posting here the 5-minute presentation that I gave.

The title was: Can we fix the internet? Improving Wikipedia's sanitation content with the ‘WikiProject Sanitation’

Here is the short version:

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Here is the longer version of my presentation with additional slides in the Appendix:

This attachment is hidden for guests.

Note these slides are under the licence CC-BY SA so you can reuse them for whatever purpose you like (including commercial purposes), just mention the source.

I think that my presentation was well received and that I managed to trigger some more people about editing Wikipedia in future or at least looking at Wikipedia with different eyes next time you look up a WASH or a non-WASH topic there!

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. You can find out more about what was discussed at this conference by looking for #wedc38 on twitter. The papers will be uploaded to the WEDC Knowledge Database (makes me think, should we also upload them to the SuSanA library or is that a doubling of efforts?). The presentations in the main lecture theatres have also been filmed with "Lecture Capture" (simple camera system like a fly on the wall), so they should become available soon. Apparently the opening and closing ceremonies were even live streamed over the internet, although I didn't see the links for it.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

This message has attachments files.

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Dear SuSanA community,

this is a friendly reminder that SuSanA will have an exihibition booth at the 38th WEDC International Conference in Loughborough, from July 27 - 31 2015. Who of you will be there too? We are happy to display a few of your publications and meeting you at the SuSanA booth. Please get in touch with us This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

We are looking forward to meeting you in Loughborough!

Kind regards,

Annkathrin on behalf the SuSanA Secretariat
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• Elisabeth

Dear all,

I am planning to attend this conference. Come to my 5-minute "espresso slot" which will be on Tuesday 28th July in the morning. The topic of my presentation will be: Can we fix the internet? Improving Wikipedia's sanitation content with the „WikiProject Sanitation“

The draft program of the conference is here:
www.wedcconference.co.uk/docs/38/draft_paper_programme.pdf

I had asked Rod Shaw in March about putting presentations online afterwards and about filming the presentations (see my post above in this thread).
He replied to me by email:

We have a problem publishing all presentations afterwards as we require authors’ permissions for this. Some are willing, others not. The presentations of those that are willing will appear as part of the Proceedings, but won’t appear online as they will not be WEDC items as such. Only the papers are copyright passed for WEDC to publish online indefinitely.

Personally, I find presentation files really good to get a quick grasp of the topic (and if I want to know more, I turn to the paper). For those authors who are willing to share their presentations - and from my experience this is the majority of authors if one asks them nicely - the presentations could be placed in the SuSanA website. The way it was done for the FSM3 conference (even with videos) is really a great example:
www.susana.org/en/resources/conference-m...ials-2/2015/259-fsm3

One day in future, this will all be standard and a conference will have a small face-to-face audience and a really large "virtual" audience who takes part via the internet.

Anyhow, if you are also coming to the WEDC conference in July, then I look forward to meeting you there!

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Dear SuSanA partners,

SuSanA will have an exihibition booth at the 38th WEDC International Conference in Loughborough, from July 27 - 31 2015. If you are attending the conference and would like to display a handful of your publications at the SuSanA booth, you are welcome to contact the SuSanA secretariat.

We are looking forward to meeting you in Loughborough!

Kind regards,

Annkathrin on behalf the SuSanA Secretariat
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• Rod
    Topic Author

Please note that registration is now open! Visit:
www.wedcconference.co.uk/ to register.

• Elisabeth

I am thinking of going to this conference and am wondering if there might be a chance to have any gatherings of SuSanA members of some sorts (even just informal ones)? I think there will be a SuSanA booth in the exhibition?

I am also thinking of perhaps trying to do something about the Wikiproject Sanitation at this conference - perhaps a little meeting with interested people where I could demonstrate what it's all about and look for like-minded people (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation).

By the way the key dates for this conference are:
  • Deadline for initial paper submissions: on or before Monday 16th February 2015
  • Papers will be reviewed and comments provided to authors within 3 weeks of submission.
  • Deadline for Side Event applications and papers revised to address review comments, to be resubmitted by authors not later than 15th March 2015.
  • Authors will be informed of acceptance of final papers by 17th April 2015.
  • Posters should be received by the Editor by 30th June 2015.
And it would be great if the presentations from this conference could be made available online afterwards (like it was done for FSM3: www.susana.org/en/resources/conference-m...ials-2/2015/259-fsm3).

Rod, do you think this might be possible? I know that in the past you only put the conference papers online afterwards but not the presentations: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/156-co...-2014-feedback#11690

And filmed presentations are even better of course but that takes additional budget so might be tricky.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• Rod
    Topic Author

38th WEDC INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE (27–31 July 2015, Loughborough, UK) - feedback

38th WEDC International Conference

Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Services Beyond 2015: Improving access and sustainability

27–31 July 2015, Loughborough University, UK

The call for papers are here:

www.wedcconference.co.uk/
The following user(s) like this post: Doreen

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds