What is the current summary on Urine-diverting Flush Toilets?

11k views

Page selection:
  • mutware

Re: What is the current summary on Urine-diverting Flush Toilets?

I think that ECOSAN is very important for avoiding faeces-related illnesses and using urine as fertilizer. I wish that ECOSAN should be expanded widely in low-income developing countries.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • goeco
  • Self employed innovator with an interest in wastewater treatment systems and recycling of nutrients

Hi Elisabeth, Perhaps this recent post is more relevant to this topic?
forum.susana.org/india/22276-ecological-...india-is-it-possible

cheers
Dean
Dean Satchell, M For. Sc.
Vermifilter.com
www.vermifilter.com

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Chris,
You asked: "What is the current summary on Urine-diverting Flush Toilets?". I have no updated information on this. I had the feeling that perhaps they are a bit "out" (not that they have ever been really "in"). Although recently Aimee Smith from PRG in Durban (Chris Buckley's group) told me:

I have a question that I hope you can assist me with. We are working on a project for one of the municipal buildings in Durban and they are considering installing UD toilets in one of their buildings. Do you have a list, or know of, any municipal buildings worldwide that currently have UD toilets installed in them (for both staff and customer usage)?

The Durban Municipality wants to make a presentation to some of the senior level management and we wanted to include some info about whether they will be the first municipal building to put such a toilet system in their customer care center. There is also a urine-to-fertilizer treatment plant in the basement of the customer care center that is currently connected to the male urinals. The toilets will be flush based (these chosen pedestals save 80% of water) and both the staff and customers will use them.

There is currently a stigma in the rural communities that only "poor" people use UD/non-sewered toilet systems (all of these alternative systems are usually seen as temporary solutions to a lot of the communities) therefore we want to engage with the public and emphasise the importance of water conservation, resource recovery and promote non-sewered sanitation.

I hope Aimee or someone from the team can elaborate?

Regarding low-flush toilets in general, there was a similar question here on the forum which only got a reply from me and one other person so far:
forum.susana.org/low-flush-pour-flush-fo...-saving-flush-toilet

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• prince

I support this urine+water to recycle abandoned farms because of land infertility. Hope this research will help more farmers in Uganda and Kenya if we replicate it here. Thanks Prince Maloba

• canaday
    Topic Author
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Hi everyone,

(Of course, I mostly promote UDDTs, but some users are not ready for them yet.)

I am designing a system in which a reasonable amount of water can also join the urine, since the urine + some greywater will go immediately to the soil where crops are grown.

I am starting to think that the most practical option is to have a Waterless Urinal, like I make with a 20-liter plastic bottle
(inodoroseco.blogspot.com/2015/12/un-nuev...inario-sin-agua.html)
... sit on the edge of the flush toilet bowl ... and pee into the urinal (held leaning toward the toilet), while pooping into the toilet (which should be feasible for both men and women).

On that front, which is the best brand of water-conserving flush toilet?

Thanks,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds