An Examination of CLTS’s Contributions Toward Universal Sanitation - a desk review by USAID

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

An Examination of CLTS’s Contributions Toward Universal Sanitation

An Examination of CLTS’s Contributions Toward Universal Sanitation

My friend, Mr. Dan Campbell, of USAID, has sent me the report: An Examination of CLTS’s Contributions Toward Universal Sanitation

According to the note of Mr. Dan, this review of scientific and gray literature related to community-led total sanitation (CLTS) assesses the knowledge base on best practices and identifies evidence gaps. It was prepared for USAID by the Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Partnerships and Learning for Sustainability (WASHPaLS) project under Task Order number AID-OAA-TO-16-00016 of the Water and Development Indefinite Delivery Indefinite Quantity Contract (WADI), contract number AID-OAA-I-14-00068.

This review offers a description of the CLTS intervention, tracing its evolution in theory and practice from Southeast Asia to its current place as a global phenomenon, and explores the open defecation free (ODF) concept, analyzing its strengths and weaknesses. It highlights the disconnect between the independent monitoring and analysis of CLTS program results and internal performance reports released by implementing organizations and their donors. This review also seeks to assess circumstances in which CLTS works best, the most promising implementation modalities, and instances where CLTS may not be suitable.

The publication can be seen at:
www.tetratech.com/pdf/download?url=http:...2dsanitation%252epdf

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds