Request for contributions: Helminth egg analysis methodologies

Page selection:
  • jamespharper
  • Freelance Civil Engineering Researcher and Educator, specialized in global engineering and development in low-resource contexts with a focus on basic needs (e.g., sanitation, water, power, housing, nutrition)

Re: Request for contributions: Helminth egg analysis methodologies (Determining helminth egg quantities (measurement techniques))

Hey, Richard et al.

Please find more details about our study of pathogen degradation in alternating dual-pit latrines at the first link below and about the Mini-FLOTACT method of enumerating viable (i.e., pathogenic) Ascaris ova at the second link below.  I'd be happy to chat anytime about our study or methods.

Study Brief:  drive.google.com/file/d/1qEO0mBYsvCITh2u..._eW/view?usp=sharing

Mini-FLOTAC method for viable Ascaris enumeration: drive.google.com/file/d/1UyRTyIp6v0LW8Yp...Ob4/view?usp=sharing
​Cheers,

​​James Harper, PhD, PE (he/him/his)
​Civil Engineering ​Researcher​ and Educator
Noble Pursuit​s, LLC
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Mobile, WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber, Skype: +1-858-216-5585

Improving lives in low-resource communities through comprehensive research, engineering and education services

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • mwemberichard
  • Topic Author
  • MSc sanitation student at IHE-Institute for water education, currently doing a thesis on helminths egg analysis methodologies with a focus on environmental samples under the reuse framework (faecal sludge, soil and compost). The aim is to compare and make recommendations for humanitarian context and remote areas, settings with resource constraint.

Re: Request for contributions: Helminth egg analysis methodologies (Determining helminth egg quantities (measurement techniques))

Dear Elizabeth

Thank you for the follow-up on the progress of the study. Yes! I did read the thread on the forum and got some ideas. The thesis was done with some good insights that need further testing in the field, I would say, however, it is not yet ready for sharing but I promise I will share as soon as the embargo period is over in January 2022.

Warm regards,
Richard

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Request for contributions: Helminth egg analysis methodologies

Hi Richard,
Good luck with your research. Please keep us informed how you get on and what you find. 
I am wondering if you have already browsed the threads in this sub-category: 
Determining helminth egg quantities (measurement techniques)

If not, then you might find some useful pointers and connections there. (If you've already been there, you can just ignore my post.)
It's an important research field and I see quite a few people trying to come up with better or more standardised methods. 

This one was a big project, I am wondering if there are any updates for it:
Developing a uniform Soil-transmitted helminth (STH) analysis consortium for analyzing fecal waste samples (DUT, South Africa) - helminth egg measurements
I think they had a follow-on project from that one but can't remember them posting about it on the forum.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: mwemberichard

• mwemberichard
  • Topic Author
  • MSc sanitation student at IHE-Institute for water education, currently doing a thesis on helminths egg analysis methodologies with a focus on environmental samples under the reuse framework (faecal sludge, soil and compost). The aim is to compare and make recommendations for humanitarian context and remote areas, settings with resource constraint.

Thank you very much for the reply. The research aims to identify quantitative helminths eggs testing methodologies suitable for the field (resource-constrained settings), specifically environmental samples in remote areas and humanitarian contexts (e.g. refugee camps).  From the list of existing methodologies, a centrifuge seems to be key equipment, which might not always be available or used in the field.  Firstly, my research, therefore, seeks to gather information and identify methodologies being used in the field whether modifications or pure. Secondly, I need to gather information on the expected key performance characteristic of a methodology to improve the accuracy and reliability of results for proper risk assessment before faecal sludge disposal or reuse. Finally, I would like to try and develop a decision making guide when choosing a methodology to use in the field under specific analysis objectives and conditions like availability of resources.
I believe some methods even the clinical ones like Mini-FLOTAC needs tweaking a bit to analyze environmental samples though not accurately but better than nothing.

For now, I would prefer that members complete the key informant's questionnaire and is not restricted to parasitologist only but anyone with experience or interest working with any helminths testing methodology.
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

@James I would be very happy to hear more about your project in Cambodia.

Thank you and my apology for the late reply

Richard Mwembe
MSc in Sanitaion student
IHE-Institute for water education-Delft, The Netherlands
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. / rmwembe @gmail.com

This message has an attachment file.

• jamespharper
  • Freelance Civil Engineering Researcher and Educator, specialized in global engineering and development in low-resource contexts with a focus on basic needs (e.g., sanitation, water, power, housing, nutrition)

Hey, Richard.

Thanks for your post.  I am PI for a study of the effectiveness of alternating dual-pit latrines in Cambodia, and we plan to measure viable helminth ova in fresh fecal sludge samples using the Mini-FLOTAC method.  I'm interested to hear more about your research, as Paresh above is.  Please tell us more, and if you'd like to be updated on our study in Cambodia, let me know.  I'll also be filling out your survey this week; so, expect that soon.  Have a great rest of your day!

Cheers,

James Harper, PhD, PE (he/him/his)
WASH Researcher, Civil and Mechanical Engineer, and STEM Educator
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Mobile, WhatsApp, Skype: +1-858-216-5585

Noble Pursuits | Improving lives in low-resource communities through holistic research, engineering and education
​Cheers,

​​James Harper, PhD, PE (he/him/his)
​Civil Engineering ​Researcher​ and Educator
Noble Pursuit​s, LLC
Mobile, WhatsApp, Telegram, Viber, Skype: +1-858-216-5585

Improving lives in low-resource communities through comprehensive research, engineering and education services
The following user(s) like this post: mwemberichard

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Dear Richard,
Welcome to the forum. 

That is an interestingly relevant area of work and I hope you get many responses. It would be helpful if you could tell us more about your research and about potential respondents to your two questionnaires. The latter will help respondents choose which form they should use. 

regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• mwemberichard
  • Topic Author

Request for contributions: Helminth egg analysis methodologies

Greetings

Am an MSc student at IHE-Institute for water education, currently carryout out research on "helminths eggs analysis methodologies with special focus on those used for testing environmental samples like compost manure, fecal sludge, and the soils. Attached are the two questionnaires that willing members can complete; one for key informants and the other for general professionals. One makes a choice on the tool complete. Please assist disseminate within the forum or you can provide a contact for specific individuals or organizations.

Sincerely

Richard Mwembe

This message has attachments files.

The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds