anaerobic wastewater treatment plant design (UASB) - lack of information about designing the UASB reactor (question from Algeria)

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: anaerobic wastewater treatment plant design (UASB)

Dear Takieddine,

Hello to Algeria and welcome to the forum! How did you find out about this forum?
That book that Mughal recommended should be very useful. Regarding post-treatment after the UASB, many people use constructed wetlands. High rate algal ponds could be another option.

You can also browse the UASB category of this for previous discussions:
forum.susana.org/upflow-anaerobic-sludge-blanket-reactor-uasb

And being from Algeria you may appreciate publications in French. There is some interesting work from Morocco which we added to the SuSanA library a few years ago. See here:
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/1840

Some years ago I had some contact with a professor in Rabat called Bouchaïb El Hamouri from
Institut Agronomique et Vétérinaire Hassan II. Very nice person and very comitted to advancing low-cost wastewater treatment options for Moroccan conditions. I got to know him when I was working on a small consultancy for GIZ in Morocco. He was pushing a system that he called RAFADE which he said was simpler and better than UASBs (see link above to find out more about RAFADE if you're interested).

All the best and do let us know how you get on,

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: anaerobic wastewater treatment plant design (UASB)

Attached is a publication on anaerobic reactors. Sec: 5.2 gives the design of USAB

Enjoy!
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• takieddine
    Topic Author

anaerobic wastewater treatment plant design (UASB)

Hi everyone

am a Master student from Algeria currently working on my dissertation « designing an anaerobic wastewater treatment plant for my city», since am dilling with domestic wastewater with a COD=1500mg/l and relatively hight influent =190l/s, I thought i should use UASB as main biological treatment.
the problem is I'm suffering from lack of information about designing the UASB reactor knowing that the average annual temperature is 10-30 c, and what kind of post-treatment we will be best suitable for this situation.so I was hoping for some guidelines for this problems.

P.S
anaerobic treatment is not currently taught or been implemented in our country that's why I appreciate any information I can get putting in mind graduation will be after one month.:(

Best wishes,
takieddine benlahcene

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds