Bio Toilet Ireland - Technology from Japan for a self-processing bio toilet that includes fermentation tanks

Page selection:
  • barryfishir
  • Topic Author

Re: Bio Toilet Ireland

Dear Balaam Buziba

There is a brochure available on our website for further technical details. As I deal with Ireland & European instillation's I am unable to give you costs as to providing equipment to South Africa.

Regards

Barry

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • richardkizito297

Am a Uganda social service provider, for the last 27yrs working with both rural community's.
In human sanitation, there is a problem of the structural, mantainace, water scasty etc.
My concern is innovation, is there any improved spetic tank technologies as I hear of " biodigester" is this technology serving users.
Kindly give me more light on this technology to save and serve our communities.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Kizito Richard.
ApproTecEnergy

• Balaam

Good day Chief,

Please send me more technical details of the Bio Toilet Ireland. Sounds very interesting! Can it be rolled out in the the rural under urban centres without water borne sewer systems. Would you have an indication of the costs.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and kind regards,

Eng. Balaam Buziba

Inline image 1BNB Engineering & Development Co
21 Kentan Road, Selcourt 1559,
Springs South Africa.
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Mobile: +2773 552 8614
WhatsApp: +2761 491 7410

• barryfishir
  • Topic Author

Hi Lucas

The bacteria is added at the start using the medium of dried buckwheat chaff which sits inside the processing tank.

The "Bio R21" is charged with aerobic bacteria of the genus Bacillus from the beginning in the tank. (Joint development through industry-university joint research at Faculty of Agriculture, Shinshu University)

If human waste, garbage, or waste food oil enters, pressing the switch in the toilet rotates the screw in the tank and brings in the manure, garbage, waste food oil in the center of the fungus bed. After that, the screw in the tank is rotated by automatic setting (1H, 3H, 5H, 8H) to supply air (oxygen). The oil component can be decomposed to prevent the generation of offensive odor.

Although heat is supplied by a heater (PTC surface heating element) to help the activity of bacteria, when bacteria start their own reproduction, their reproduction continues with their fermentation heat.

95% of human waste and 70% of raw waste and cooking oil are water. The center temperature of the treatment tank will be 60 ° C to 70 ° C as the bacteria grow. The moisture absorbed by the fungus bed will evaporate from about 50 ° C. Bacteria takes in oxygen and solidifies remaining solid waste, raw waste, and waste food oil, and decomposes it into carbon dioxide gas, water, and fermentation heat.

The fungus bed containing human waste, garbage, and waste cooking oil can also be used as a compost that has completed secondary fermentation after 100 days. (Can be taken out up to 1/3 from the second year) This bacteria bed is cleaned of E. coli, parasites etc. by heater heat or fermentation heat, so it can be said that it is cleaner than general soil. . In the case of year-round use, even if there is no organic matter, bacteria are active by heat retention of the heater, but when the power is turned off when it is not used in winter or for a while, bacteria which can not stand external environmental changes will be killed.

Since Bio R21 is mainly composed of aerobic Bacillus species, it changes into spores and changes itself when the external environment changes. And when the environment returns, it revives and starts breeding activities.

Adding aerobic bacteria at the start of the process and having the ability to separate urine at source is the key to these systems. You are correct in saying this is an alternative for first world water borne systems.We are gaining much interest from Local Government bodies seeking solutions to traditional mains and also to areas where mains is either not practical or costs are prohibitive.

I hope I have answered your questions.

Regards

Barry
The following user(s) like this post: Balaam

• kunene47

Hello Barry thank you for your interesting toilet system. I wish to ask the following: You mentioned aerobic bacteria as one of the requirements for the process. In what form is the bacteria being added? and you also mentioned that in the process kitchen waste and cooking oil could also be added. How does this chemistry work? I thought anaerobic bacteria would render the process odorless? Kindly explain again as this technology is interesting and could be an alternative to pit latrines and other toilet systems, and appears to be hygienic, safe and uses renewable energy and could be a future solution to the expensive first world water-borne sewer system which cannot be afforded because of the infrastructure in the outlying towns in the periphery, rural and and peri-urban areas.
Lucas Kunene

• barryfishir
  • Topic Author

Hi Tolulope

1. Toilets can be cleaned with water (no chemicals).
2. Alcohol based hand gel provide. Units can also harvest rainwater for hand washing if required.
3. Water can enter the system with no problem. The bacterial needs moisture and in times of no urine rainwater can be diverted to bacterial tank to keep conditions favorable.

Regards

Barry
The following user(s) like this post: ToluPosh

• barryfishir
  • Topic Author

Hi Elizabeth
Many thanks for the reply and questions... sorry not music to your ears...

1. www.dryloos.ie/Daio-BioR21.php (irish website) daiobio.co.jp/ (Japan website you will need to Google translate)

2.There are Bio Toilet locations across Japan including bus stations,government building and walking/forestry trails. The number of instillation is increasing all the time as you will see from the website (japan).

3.Costs?, this is a high tech solution the machine equipment comes in a number of sizes ranging from domestic, commercial to public.The design of cabin, location and power supply also needs to be considered. The costs when offset against civil works, sewerage connection or percolation(bio toilet zero discharge) are attractive to those seeking a portable Ecological Sanitation solution in Ireland and Europe.

4. Instillation's outside of Japan is Malaysia and here in Ireland we have the first R21 Bio Toilet in Europe!

5. I married a Japanese lady her family have strong business connections in Japan,I was approached to introduce this concept into Ireland/Europe. Whilst not an expert in sanitation I was aware of issues we have in Ireland surrounding domestic septic tanks, percolation and public systems discharging into rivers and lakes.Since having a trial unit here in Ireland and exhibiting to Government organisation it has become clear there is an interest in public instillation's of this type from County Councils.

6.The successful trial with Coillte ( Coillte is a commercial forestry & recreation business in Ireland, owned by the state), enabled us to demonstrate the concept of Ecological Sanitation (unheard of in Ireland) which these system are capable of. We did NOT reuse the resource on site we merely demonstrated the potential to do so.

Whats next? Well Dry Loos Ireland in currently applying for a number of Government tenders to install these systems. Once a number of instillation have been reached we can then introduce our urine organisation system developed and patented in Japan.This development makes the urine separated from the separate toilet in the bio-toilet odorless, colorless and sterile. A urine commercial fertilizer product is then ready for reuse in a safe manner. This will take time and potentially amendments to current regulations.

We are starting at ground level here in Ireland when talking about UDDT and Eco San, other European countries like Sweden and France are way ahead. It would be potentially easier to introduce this into counties that have a history of dry toilets use unlike Ireland. That said we are receiving positive interest and will continue to break down the barriers that exists when talking about dry toilets and resource recovery.

Regards

Barry
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• ToluPosh

Hi Barry,
-Are there any plans for cleaning/washing of the toilet bowls once it's been stained by excreta?
-what are the plans for culture who believe in using water to clean up after using the toilet? if there's no need for when using it. And would there be any damage if water is used in this facility?

I look forward to your response.

Regards,
Tolulope Adeyemo

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Barry,
I watched the video and read your attachment. Interesting! (just the music in the video was getting a bit annoying after a while ;-) )
Do you have a website yet for your company and what is the website of the Japanese company that has developed this technology?

So the technology comes from Japan where it's quite successful? Do you have information on:
- How many units they have installed there? I saw in your document: "has since been implemented in nearly 1,000 project sites spreading across 200 organizations and customers from Nagano to Hokkaido Japan"
- What are the costs?
- How many companies are there outside of Japan that are taking this technology on like you have done?
- How did the connection come about between Ireland and Japan for this start-up?
- When you did your pilot project at Farran Forest Park Co. Cork did you also do reuse activities?

Do tell us more and good luck with your new company!

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• barryfishir
  • Topic Author

Bio Toilet Ireland

My name is Barry Clarke I am a director of a new start up company in Ireland Dryloos ltd. I have attached a brief description of our sanitation system and a few photos. I would like to reach out to others in Ireland and Europe that are also promoting Ecological Sanitation.

Kind Regards

Barry Clarke

Director Dryloos LTD Ireland
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Video:

+++++++++++

Note by moderator: I copy below from Barry's other post to keep it all together:

Hi Bjorn

Thank you for mentioning our Bio Toilet from Ireland in your discussion. We carried out a successful trial in Ireland second busiest forestry park last summer 2018 at peak times multiple hundreds of visitors and users of our Bio Toilet per day. The largest of our systems can cope with over a thousand uses per day based on (roughly) 80% urine 20 % solid.

The bio Toilet uses no water and has zero discharge so needs no sewage works.. These units are also portable so no planning needed. Maintenance is low, units do need a small amount of power and can work off grid through solar panels. We are marketing these to Local Authorities and recreational/amenities areas and would hope to break into the domestic market as units become more commonplace. We are seeking to Introduce ecological sanitation to Ireland.

The Bio Toilet unique features are
1.. Adding aerobic bacteria at the beginning eliminates odors.
2. Solid waste and toilet paper are fermented and
decomposed into carbon dioxide and water can also handle kitchen waste and cooking oil. Excess Urine is
emitted outside through a heater and fermentation heat.
3. Use of a heater with a PTC planar heating element ( far-
infrared radiation system), which conserves power.
4. The heater has an ON/OFF circuit
( for power conservation).
5. A separate lavatory basin separates solid waste and urine.
6. Manage the weight of the fermentation tank.
When a specified data value is reached, an indicator light is
illuminated.
7. When a set value is reached, the pipe route is switched for
only urine( can handle large quantities).
9. Development of above eliminates restrictions on the
number of uses for urination (tank linkage).

Hope this helps in your quest for information.

Kind Regards

Barry Clarke

Director Dry Loos Ireland

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds