Topic 1 - Innovations in WASH In Schools (India Chapter Thematic Discussion)

18.1k views

Page selection:
  • nityajacob
  • Water Policy Analyst and Author; Moderator of the SuSanA India Chapter; WASH Lead at Swasti

Re: Topic 1 - Innovations in WASH In Schools (India Chapter Thematic Discussion)

Hello everybody,

Please respond to the discussion that is on innovations in WASH in Schools. This topic closes tomorrow, 8 September. We are looking for case studies

Regards
Nitya

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • watsanchandra
  • Chandrasekaran J

Re: Topic 1 - Innovations in WASH In Schools (India Chapter Thematic Discussion)

We use glass fibre waste dumped by wind mill blade manufacturing companies and convert them into making toilets. The advantages are that we do not need nature eroding sand, water or cement but reuse and recycle the glass fibre waste from which we make the toilet. Again, the model is skill building and making rural folk do their own toilets wherein we provide mould, material and know how, so that one toilet can be built in one days time! (www.watsan.in/modular_toilets.html)
We do electricity free water purifiers, which does not need repeated maintenance and does not waste water. We also make arsenic and fluoride removal tailor made purifiers, as an add-on to the regular filters we make. We also give turnkey solutions to make modular toilets without using sand, cement and water for construction, but done from the waste dumped y the fibre glass industry.

• nityajacob
  • Water Policy Analyst and Author; Moderator of the SuSanA India Chapter; WASH Lead at Swasti

Dear all,

This has been interesting. Can I ask you to share more innovations, as that is the topic of the discussion. Processes, technology, behaviour change or menstrual hygiene examples will be welcome.
Thank you
Nitya

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Dear Members,

I am sharing an example that was sent to the Secretariat by Ravi Senji of RaVikas.

regards
Aloka
(on behalf of SuSanA Secretariat)

Dear SUSANA Team,

Greetings,

I am Ravi Senji, Founderpreneur of RaVikas.

The first Solar based (Zero flush/Zero odor/Zero waste) Return on investment Toilet units (MAITRI) designed exclusively for India is my patented product

My toilets do not flush water after use/ remain odor free and convert human waste into vermicast (not compost)

This is the only unit which can accept used sanitary napkins and safely process them as well.

I have installed a UDDT for public use in a temple near Vellore (100 Kms from Chennai) which is functional till today serving @ 70~90 users each day.

Kindly visit my website www.swachhsolartoilet.com for details.

I am interested to actively participate in the WINs program.

Let know if you are interested and way ahead

Thank you

RaviSenji

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.swachhsolartoilet.com
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• watsanchandra
  • Chandrasekaran J

Details can be seen in www.watsan.in
Mail to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Mobile 9445104576
We do electricity free water purifiers, which does not need repeated maintenance and does not waste water. We also make arsenic and fluoride removal tailor made purifiers, as an add-on to the regular filters we make. We also give turnkey solutions to make modular toilets without using sand, cement and water for construction, but done from the waste dumped y the fibre glass industry.

• sunetralala

Hi
Can you post some details of your water filters?
Regards
Sunetra

• watsanchandra
  • Chandrasekaran J

Sure, will be in touch
Cheers
My local # for your Indian friends: +91 9445104576

• DavidAlan
  • David Crosweller

Of course. Can you remind me in a couple of weeks so they can focus on getting this project over the line and then they will have a little more clear space to discuss collaborations..

• watsanchandra
  • Chandrasekaran J

Dear Sir,
Very exciting to see the results of your great work in Cuddalore and eventually you'll do it in Mumbai. Can you share the connects / contact details of your persons in both Tamilnadu and Mumbai so that we can see if we can collaborate and so things together? Thanks in advance
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• DavidAlan
  • David Crosweller

Hello everybody. A good start to this topic.

As some will know we have built approximately 80 toilet blocks mainly in Tamil Nadu (Cuddalore District). This means circa 35,000 school children now have access to sustainable sanitation facilities. In the broadest of terms we allow 20 urinals for girls and 30 for boys, but only allow one or two UDDTs for defecation. This is because we have found that few children use the toilets for defecation, but all use them for urination. More urinals means no queuing at break time, which is a big issue at many schools I have visited where new toilets have been constructed. As they are UDDTs there is no smell, which the children like, and we collect both the solids and liquids to be used as fertiliser. There are two blocks (boys and girls) and, as you can see in the attached photo, to the right, there is an included room for girls to change sanitary towels and an incinerator facility for safe disposal. The pupils are engaged and motivated to use the facilities and within a very short time we have many requests for family ecosan (UDDT) units in the respective villages. We consider this is an excellent form of family 'pressure' and the best possible outcome.

The attached photo is in Vadalur, Cuddalore, and caters for about 600 girls and was completed about three months ago. We try to make our units bright and colourful so there is a greater desire to use them. The school looks after cleaning and maintenance.

We are starting our first unit in Mumbai (Malvani) once the rains finish. We are also expecting an agreement with Corporation of Chennai regarding slum community sanitation to be announced in the next week, and then we will start looking at facilities within Chennai itself.

We don't build cheap, we don't build pit toilets (ever) and we focus only on UDDTs. Our units are well built, are often of a bespoke design and are constructed to last for thirty years.

I am happy to answer any questions and, if I cannot answer them, our excellent Indian team will be able to.
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: watsanchandra

• watsanchandra
  • Chandrasekaran J

Sure. My email ID This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Let's do it!

• Sumita

We are looking bold pioneers who could take the product across India. India has taboo on dry toilet. If you are keen then good to initiate.
Earlier two consultant tried but they failed in India. If you are confident then i would love to hear. Get in touch by email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds