SuSanA World Toilet Day webinar "WHO Guidelines on sanitation and health"- recordings and presentation now in the library

• secretariat
    Topic Author
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Doreen Mbalo, Cecilia Rodrigues, Shobana Srinivasan, Franziska Volk and interns Hajrah Hajrah and Jacinta Wokabi.

SuSanA World Toilet Day webinar "WHO Guidelines on sanitation and health"- recordings and presentation now in the library

Dear all,

a big thank you from the SuSanA secretariat to all co-hosters, moderators, presenters and participants of yesterday's World Toilet Day webinar. It was a truly interesting introduction to the guidelines and included a fun quiz!

The webinar recordings and the presentation held by Kate Medlicott and Sophie Boisson from WHO are now available in the SuSanA library here: https://www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resources-and-publications/library/details/3480 . The WHO Guidebook is also linked there.

For those who missed the Q&A session in the webinar - no worries! The discussion will continue for 3 more weeks online, moderated by a number of experts and authors of the WHO guidelines in the Forum.

Theme 1 - Evidence on sanitation and health & Theme 4 - Health sector role in sanitation already started - come and join the discussion!

Best wishes,
Franziska

on behalf of the secretariat

Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sustainable sanitation sector program
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org
You need to login to reply
  • secretariat
    Topic Author
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Doreen Mbalo, Cecilia Rodrigues, Shobana Srinivasan, Franziska Volk and interns Hajrah Hajrah and Jacinta Wokabi.

Re: SuSanA World Toilet Day webinar "WHO Guidelines on sanitation and health"- recordings and presentation now in the library

Dear all,

please find below an edited transcript of the chat in the webinar. The questions asked in the Q&A session of the webinar are marked in green. If you would like to hear the answer from the WHO experts please go to the Q&A session in the second half of the webinar recordings here: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3480

Cecilia Rodrigues (SuSanA Secretariat): (14:13) Welcome to our WTD webinar!
Cecilia Rodrigues (SuSanA Secretariat): (14:14) Please feel free to introduce yourself at the chat!
Sven Norén: (14:15) Hi. My name is Sven Norén. I will just listen to the webinar
Maryse ARAFA: (14:16) I'm Maryse from ARAFA in Madagascar. the topic is very interesting for us so i attend the webinar
Rafael Vera: (14:17) Good morning. I am Rafael Vera from Cochabamba, Bolivia.
Cecilia Rodrigues (SuSanA Secretariat): (14:21) I will mute your microphones. You can still type in the chat.
Alejandro Levy: (14:28) Hello, I'm Alejandro Levy from Aguatuya in Cochabamba, Bolivia.
Mara van Welie: (14:29) Hi! I am Mara van Welie, PhD student at Eawag
Vanita Prasad: (14:32) Hi I am Vanita .. An Environmental Biotechnologist ..develped technology to treat sewage and working to improve sanitation in India...so the topic is very close to my work
Dr Mansoor: (14:33) Hello everyone, This is Mansoor from Loughborough UK
Anna Nylander: (14:33) Happy #WorldToiletDay everyone! Anna Nylander from UN-Water www.unwater.org here.
Kelly Bridges: (14:33) Good morning, this is Kelly Bridges from Global Water 2020 in Washington, DC
Dwight Rosslee: (14:34) Hi All. I am Dwight Rosslee from Selectra Wastewater in South Africa
Dr Mansoor: (14:34) www.ukaiddirect.org/news/on-world-toilet...itation-challenges//
Jenny Kay: (14:35) Hi I'm Jenny, I'm a civil engineer working in Rwanda
Hannah Ngugi: (14:37) Hi everyone, I am Hannah a lecturer and Researcher from Kenya,
Cecilia Rodrigues (SuSanA Secretariat): (14:41) Here is the link to guidelines: www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publ...ation-and-health/en/
Dr Mansoor: (14:41) thanks
Bella Monse: (14:42) Hi, Im Bella Monse from GIZ, working on Wash in Schools
Shervin Hashemi: (14:50) Ahead of #WorldToiletDay - smart ideas on how to make toilets fit for purpose in Africa’s cities
Shervin Hashemi: (14:50) theconversation.com/some-smart-ideas-to-...fricas-cities-106756
Shervin Hashemi: (14:51) Hello everyone, from Korea!
Shervin Hashemi: (14:55) snuswmc.wixsite.com/drurine/single-post/...ilet-Day-November-19
Dr Mansoor: (14:55) Question; Should we have a separate ministry for sanitation or it should be part of the health Ministry?
Shervin Hashemi: (15:00) Indeed!
admin: (15:01) Hi Kate. Do these guidelines refer to the previous guidelines on reuse? --Regards Arno Rosemarin/SEI
Kelly Bridges: (15:02) Hello Kate! My question is: How do the Guidelines on Sanitation and Health support the Implementation Strategy for the UNSG’s Call to Action on WASH in Healthcare Facilities? Many thanks! www.dropbox.com/s/zgbsxbsrkeuws9o/Update...8forsharing.pdf?dl=0
Shervin Hashemi: (15:14) Would you please kindly share this presentation with us in PDF? My research team is very interested in it.

Please find the presentation here in the SuSanA library www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3480

Dr Mansoor: (15:14) How can we strenthen Ministry of Healths?
Vanita Prasad: (15:14) I am working on coverting the excreta into resource
Shervin Hashemi: (15:15) Very Informative, indeed :)
Rafael Vera: (15:15) I am impressed by the content of chapter related to behavior change which is innovative. Do you have plans to translate the guideline into Spanish?

The guidelines are currently being translated to all other UN languages.

Dr Mansoor: (15:15) Shall we have a separate ministry on sanitation or a stronger health ministry?
Vanita Prasad: (15:15) any pilot implimation will help
Kelly Bridges: (15:15) Hello Kate! My question is: How do the Guidelines on Sanitation and Health support the Implementation Strategy for the UNSG’s Call to Action on WASH in Healthcare Facilities? Many thanks! www.dropbox.com/s/zgbsxbsrkeuws9o/Update...8forsharing.pdf?dl=0
Jenny Kay: (15:15) Where can we access the guidelines?
Franziska Volk (SuSanA Secretariat): (15:16) Dear Jenny, Here is the link to guidelines: www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publ...ation-and-health/en/
Peter Feldman: (15:15) What are the top level messages (what has changed?) for health and WASH sector managers?
Dr Mansoor: (15:18) How far these guidelines useful for emergencies?
admin: (15:19) admin: Hi Kate. Do these guidelines refer to the previous guidelines on reuse? --Regards Arno Rosemarin/SEI
Dr Mansoor: (15:20) Great point on health workers in my opinion.
Franziska Volk (SuSanA Secretariat): (15:22) The guidelines are being translated right now to more languages. Could you tell us which languages and when you expect them to be published?
Rafael Vera: (15:22) On the perspective of the guidelines, why is so difficult to generate demand and sustainable use of sanitation services in rural areas?
Ana Gren: (15:22) What is the role of financing institutions? Should the Developing Banks take some responsibility in terms of approving loans to natitional goverments? Loans given to national goverments which are aiming at financing health programs- health care facilities should include the Guidliens for Sanitation and Health and its implemention should be a
Dr Mansoor: (15:22) Blogs
Ana Gren: (15:22) prerequiste for accessing a loan.
Dr Mansoor: (15:22) To share with colleages
Dr Mansoor: (15:22) Students
Dr Mansoor: (15:23) National launch
Dr Mansoor: (15:23) Do we have short video on this?
Siko: (15:27) How friendly are these guidelines to the end user (the most vulnerable)? Do these guidelines also state bottom up approaches?
Vanita Prasad: (15:27) Thanks ....as technology developer we can take support of these guidelines to say advantages
Alejandro Levy: (15:28) a short video would certainly help sharing these guidelines with a broader audience
admin: (15:28) What languages are the guidelines being translated into? --Arno Rosemarin/SEI
Rafael Vera: (15:30) Are you planning to present the guidelines at WHO/PAHO country offices?
Cecilia Rodrigues (SuSanA Secretariat): (15:30) The discussion will continue on the SuSanA Forum: forum.susana.org/guidelines-sanitation-and-health-tds
Franziska Volk (SuSanA Secretariat): (15:30) In case the links are not clickable, here is the link to the Forum Discussion forum.susana.org/guidelines-sanitation-and-health-tdsYou can register as SuSanA member here: www.susana.org/en/register With this login you can login to the SuSanA Forum. You will find information on how to edit your user profile here: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/134-user-profile
Rafael Vera: (15:32) Great presentation. Congratulations. See you at LATINOSAN in Costa Rica.

Best regards,
Franziska

on behalf of the secretariat

Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sustainable sanitation sector program
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri
  • AjitSeshadri

Re: SuSanA World Toilet Day webinar "WHO Guidelines on sanitation and health"- recordings and presentation now in the library

Dear Francizka. Well wishes to you.

Good compilation of data during WTD Webinar proceedings.
Just noted that one of the participant Dr. Vanita Prasad- desired information on initiative to convert human-sludge into resource.

Can cite below one easy method:
Simple pit composting on loading pits with both excreta and cow dung with bio mass ex foliage etc..

The adding of cow dung brings in more acceptability in commnities.

If bio gas plant is available then human sludge becomes the main input.
Output would be bio gas( CH4) and slurry.. readily converted to manure.

Well wishes.
Prof Ajit Seshadri .
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.848 seconds