First ever global guidelines on sanitation and health by World Health Organization (WHO)

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: First ever global guidelines on sanitation and health by World Health Organization (WHO)

Dear Kate,

Thanks for looking into this. It's actually a long-standing discussion between some active Wikipedians from the health sector (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Medicine) and the responsible people at WHO why the WHO documents are not published as CC-BY SA, as it really makes it more difficult to use the content in Wikipedia. It's true that pieces of text can be adapted and paraphrased. Often this needs to be done anyway to convert it into simpler language that laypersons can understand. But it makes it more time consuming. This applies even more so to any of the schematics and images that may be worth utilising in Wikipedia articles but cannot be used due to the NC part of your licence (NC stands for non commercial, whereas the Wikipedia licence includes everything, even commercial use).

But never mind, we can still make the most out of it! Are there any key schematics or images that you think would be worth including in certain Wikipedia articles? If so which ones and where? If I could get permission for those selected ones from the copyright owner at WHO then I can include them.

For example the new F-Diagram might be worth including here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal%E2%80%93oral_route

I'd be happy to work with you on this. (the only caveat being that my funding for Wikipedia editing which came from the BMGF grant given to SEI to support SuSanA's knowledge management work is coming to an end soon; I am currently applying to various philantropic foundations to get some more Wikipedia editing time - fingers crossed... I can do some Wikipedia editing in a volunteer capacity of course, like tens of thousands of other editors, but I won't be able to devote as much time to it in that case).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • katemedlicott

Re: First ever global guidelines on sanitation and health by World Health Organization (WHO)

Hi Elizabeth - I was curious about this point on the WHO licence type meaning it can't be used on Wikipedia. I checked with our legal and publishing experts and, in short, as long as you're not reproducing large passages of text it should be fine - so please feel free to cite the guidelines on Wikipedia. The detailed response is below:

"Contributions to Wikipedia are published under the CC BY-SA. This licence is not compatible with the CC BY NC-SA, because the sharealike principle means that any reuse has to be under the same licence terms.

So to answer your questions:
1. Referencing/citing and reproduction of short extracts on Wikipedia is allowed under fair use, independent of the licence.
2. Reproducing the entire work or parts of the work beyond fair use eg figures, would not be compatible with the Wikipedia licence.

For the majority of uses on Wikipedia, there should be no issue. People writing articles should not be reproducing large amounts of text from publishers. However, if someone writing an article for Wikipedia requires permission to use photos, figures etc, then we can grant them this authorization, and agree to publication under the CC BY-SA licence."
Team Leader - Sanitation and Wastewater
Water Sanitation Hygiene and Health Unit
Department of Public Health and Environment
World Health Organization
Geneva, Switzerland

The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

• sboisson
  • Technical officer, Water, Sanitation, Hygiene and Health Unit, WHO

Don’t forget to join the webinar on Monday 19 Nov! If you are unable to join, you will be able to access a recording on the platform. We will meet on the forum shortly after the webinar where we will open discussions on the guidelines on the following themes:

1. Evidence on sanitation and health
2. Safe toilets access and use
3. Safe sanitation chain
4. Health sector role in sanitation

Over the next three weeks, you will get a chance to learn more about the key recommendations, guidance and technical resources of the guidelines, and get an opportunity to provide feedback and discuss key issues.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, ideas and experiences!
The following user(s) like this post: yvelleman

• katemedlicott

The session at UNC was very well received! It included an overview of the Guidelines on Sanitation and Health and a fun quiz as well as commentary from Bruce Gordon, WHO WASH coordinator and Jan Willem Rosenboom from BMGF.

If you'd like to see it yourself, tune in for a webinar on World Toilet Day (Mon Nov 19) hosted by UN-Water and SuSanA followed by a 2-4 week thematic discussion in the SuSanA forum.

The webinar will be presented by Bruce and me from WHO and moderated with help from ILO. In the SuSanA forum Sophie Boisson, also from WHO, will go deeper into hot topics within the guidelines and answer your questions with some of the lead authors.

Links to the webinar and forum to follow.......
Team Leader - Sanitation and Wastewater
Water Sanitation Hygiene and Health Unit
Department of Public Health and Environment
World Health Organization
Geneva, Switzerland

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Yes, this is surely a very important new document which will hopefully be quite impactful!

Could anyone who was at its launch at the recent UNC conference in the US tell us more about it? Perhaps share the accompanying presentation and tell us how it was received?

Interesting that once again the BMGF was involved in funding them (good on them!):

WHO gratefully acknowledges the financial support provided by the Department for International Development,
United Kingdom, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for the development of these guidelines

The project that this is related to is here in the SuSanA project database (I've been trying to get more details):
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/projects/database/details/272

We have also added it to the SuSanA library here:
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3447

WHO (2018). Guidelines on Sanitation and Health. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2018. Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO. ISBN 978-92-4-151470-5

(as a side note: due to the licence including the NC letters ( = non commercial) it cannot be utilised directly on Wikipedia which is a pity).

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• fppirco
    Topic Author
  • I am independent EH&S researcher in natural resources recovery ,water,wastewater,agro_food ...fields.

First ever global guidelines on #sanitation and health by World Health Organization (WHO)

Copied from Sandec tweet:

First ever global guidelines on #sanitation and health by World Health Organization (WHO) will drive momentum to end the sanitation crisis, improve #globalhealth and meet the #SDGs. Be sure to look at Chapter 3 on safe sanitation. #Sandec’s #Compendium, the #FSM book and FSM MOOC were important references for the guidelines. bit.ly/2NlBFRV
www.facebook.com/Sandec/

www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publ...ation-and-health/en/
Researcher and consultant
The following user(s) like this post: jmyl, yvelleman

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds