Sanitation Policy Guideline being developed by AMCOW - tools used for development of policy in Africa?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Sanitation Policy Guideline by AMCOW

Dear Shobana,

Interesting initiative. I hope Kitch will share more details with us here on the forum. (and yes, Mughal, Kitch's focus will be on Africa, as AMCOW is the African Ministers’ Council on Water)

Regarding policies, I think we haven't often discussed in the forum HOW they were developed, but more the end result, i.e. the published sanitation policies (or the lack thereof).

I wonder if Kitch has browsed through this forum category (called "government as a driver") where we have discussed policies in the past (with now a new sub-category specifically for India):
forum.susana.org/142-government-as-a-driver

We also have a forum category that deals with reuse policies and legislation, see here:
forum.susana.org/174-safety-of-reuse-asp...-guidelines-policies

Then there are policies regarding pit emptying, these can be found mixed in here with technical topics:
forum.susana.org/99-faecal-sludge-transp...its-and-septic-tanks

Policies and guidelines for FSM are in this sub-category:
forum.susana.org/277-fsm-planning-tools-...boxes-and-guidelines

When it comes to sanitation policies, we have to consider the different steps of the sanitation chain. In the forum we have discussed them in different sections, depending on whether it's about toilets, faecal sludge emptying & transport, FSM, reuse... That's perhaps not quite ideal, so it will be great if someone pulls everything together somehow. Looking forward to seeing the outcomes of Kitch's work!

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Sanitation Policy Guideline by AMCOW

Dear Ms. Shobana,

I believe, this is for people residing in Africa!!??

On this note, do you have information on countries having sanitation policy - or, better still, provide links to the sanitation policies, if convenient.

For your information, I'm attaching our local sanitation policies.

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

• shobana
    Topic Author
  • WASH professional currently focussed on sanitation operator partnerships and CWIS

Sanitation Policy Guideline by AMCOW

African Ministers’ Council on Water (AMCOW) is working on a sanitation policy guideline for the African continent and plans to work with countries to ensure that the policy gaps in their countries are filled using this guideline. It will cover a spectrum of issues.
AMCOW would like to have information on:
  • Processes and the outcomes in terms of what’s worked and why
  • Tools to assess policy and assessing the enabling environment and Internal tools donors and consultants are using as part of providing technical assistance for development of policy.
If you have any information of any country’s Participatory Sanitation Policy Development Process, kindly share this with Kitchinme Bawa(This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.).
Shobana Srinivasan
Programme Management Officer
UN Habitat/ GWOPA

The following user(s) like this post: cecile

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds