HUMANITARIAN NEWS: Oxfam launches new series of tools to promote best practices in sanitation.

Page selection:
  • secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: HUMANITARIAN NEWS: Oxfam launches new series of tools to promote best practices in sanitation.

Dear Tanya,

I added the "Shining a light" report to the SuSanA Library and you can now find the entry via this link: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/3609

Best regards,
Magdalena
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Re: Has anybody considered to use waste water to produce biogas? (Honduras)

Hi Tanya,
Just to be clear about my background I do have experience with biogas and with sanitation. I don´t have experience with refugee camps, but the theme you brought up seen crucial to me just some aspects to consider.
a) Biogas direct use to fire a lantern might be a theoretical possibility, but the infrastructure needed would be way too dangerous. People might want to use the biogas for oter purposes.
b) Biogasproeduction for electric energy would be difficult as you would have to produce the energy in a secure area, protected against robbery and vandalism.
c) I would think (again - without experience in refugee camps) the best would be the use of solar lighting which you can install without any infrastructure and put on a high pole where it is (more or less) protected from robbery… and the replacement .. if needed is relatively cheap.. But I guess this idea others had before. I´m just writing this in case of the situation that the idea did not come up.
Good luck
Christoph

• yvfdez

Thanks so much Elizabeth!

You gave me a lot to read!

Best Regards

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Tanya,

Thanks for the two resources that you linked to. They make for very sobering and depressing reading, regarding the amount of gender-based violence (GBV) women in refugee camps around the world face when accessing toilets and also in general. Very sad. Better lighting could help a little bit but there is a myriad of cultural, societial, infrastructure etc. problems.

I am adding here the titles of the two resources that you linked to so that they can be found with keyword searches of the forum:
Shining a Light - How lighting in or around sanitation facilities affects the risk of gender-based violence in camps (oxfamilibrary.openrepository.com/bitstre...gender-211218-en.pdf)
We must do more to make emergency sanitation safer by Rachel Hastie (views-voices.oxfam.org.uk/2019/03/emergency-sanitation-safer/)

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Yuri,

Yes, biogas production (also for lighting) from wastewater is known and used, see this forum sub-category:
forum.susana.org/171-biogas-sanitation-s...on-biogas-production

It's not common in humanitarian settings probably because it requires a more permanent structure than what you normally have in refugee camps.

Would you like to tell us more about the models you have in mind? Have you installed some in Honduras?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• yvfdez

Has anybody considered to use waste water to produce biogas. This could be useful to produce light and to increase the cycle of cleaning.+
There's some model available in the market that are ready to install.
Cheers peeps!

• tgwallis
    Topic Author

Re: HUMANITARIAN NEWS: Oxfam launches new series of tools to promote best practices in sanitation.

Dear Elisabeth,

With apologies for the slow reply (notifications appear to be off!), the most comprehensive response to your queries can be found within the research report that informed the Sani Tweaks series. The statistical findings that indicate low usage rates are outlined (and segregated by gender) throughout – and the WHY behind male/female latrine segregation is detailed at pages 6 and 7 of the report.

For context, this research was conducted by Oxfam (in collaboration with the Water Engineering and Development Centre at the University of Loughborough) in 2017-18 and focused on how lighting of emergency sanitation facilities can reduce the risks of gender based violence. The research included three field studies in camps in Iraq, Nigeria and Uganda as well as eight brief case studies on lighting in camps.

You may also find the recent blog post by Rachel Hastie (Oxfam’s Global Protection Advisor) useful for further context.

Best regards,

Tanya
WASH Knowledge Management & Communications Advisor, Oxfam Global Humanitarian Team

• Elisabeth

Dear Tanya,

Thanks for posting this! I am surprised by a figure quoted in your video at the start, saying that "40% of women do not use the latrines that we provide". Thank you for being honest about this failure! What is the value for men? Is it similar or even less (I would have thought women are more diligent toilet users than men)?

Secondly, I find it interesting that you are stressing this very strict segregation of toilets for men and women, when there seems to be a slowly emerging trend worldwide to look more into the unisex toilet options for a variety of reasons (one being that the binary concept of gender is being questioned).
See for example here where we discussed this on the forum: forum.susana.org/170-shared-toilets-comm...ender-gender-neutral

But perhaps in the humanitarian context things are different and the designs tend to be a bit more conservative / old-fashioned / robust. Interestingly, we seem to have given up on addressing male violence against women in this context and think / hope that just be separating out their toilet blocks we already "solve" the problem... It's a sad situation with no easy answers! *

Regards,
Elisabeth

* this reminds me of a tweet from the excellent satirical account @manwhohasitall:

TODAY'S DEBATE: Should men be expected to go running in groups in case women attack them?

twitter.com/manwhohasitall
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• tgwallis
    Topic Author

HUMANITARIAN NEWS: Oxfam launches new series of tools to promote best practices in sanitation.

Hi everyone,

For those of you who attended the 26th SuSanA meeting in Stockholm, you will already be familiar with Oxfam’s recently produced Sanitation Green Card. This guide was developed in collaboration with SuSanA to promote best practices in sanitation, for the benefit of the sector as a whole. It is very much intended to be used as universal guidance by all agencies and adapted to suit individual needs.

The illustrated Green Card was piloted amongst field staff in September/October and has now been updated to incorporate some of the feedback, along with a brand-new title…so without further ado, I give you the Sani Tweaks series: www.oxfam.org.uk/sanitweaks

‘Tweaks’ refers to incorporating user feedback to improve latrines in emergencies – with the aim of increasing latrine usage, especially by women. It is available in both English and French, and even as an animation, for those who prefer to watch and listen rather than read!

Feedback, comments and ideas all very much welcome.

Enjoy!

Tanya
WASH Knowledge Management & Communications Advisor, Oxfam Global Humanitarian Team
The following user(s) like this post: MarcusErridge

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds