Emergency sanitation in Japan - manhole toilets and toilets for wilderness races

14.3k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Emergency Sanitation - Can you contribute to the Wikipedia Article?

Dear Shingo,

Thanks for your forum post and I agree with you: Google Translate is awesome! I am very happy that you found it.

I still don't fully understand how these toilets work. Is there a flyer or website link which you could provide? Some schematics?

Regarding photos, if you would like to make them available for Wikipedia articles, here is what you have to do: Please put them into a dropbox folder (or other file sharing website, e.g. Google Drive), send me the link and I could grab them from there. I would then upload them to the SuSanA flickr photo database, and from there they get into the Wikimedia Commons photos repository of Wikipedia from where they can be shared further. For each photo there should also be a good caption to describe what can be seen and who took the photo (this you could send to me separately in a Word document, or give the files detailed file names).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • tamagawacraft
    Topic Author

Dear Elizabeth, Thank you so much for welcoming me. I do not understand why Japanese members are few. However, I have been interested in SUSANA's activities for several years. The wall of words is my personal poor English ability. I do not like to ask other people to translate. I recently got a Google translation, so I am having fun using it. very impressive.

I will answer your question. , The name of this toilet is "PAIL TOILET KIT". After several years of the Great Hanshin Earthquake that occurred in 1995, I developed it.
At first it is to prepare for the next major earthquake, but we also use it for the trail running race to protect the mountain environment. We also use it at the Antarctic observation team in Japan and Belgium Base for environmental conservation in Antarctica.

This toilet is devised for emergency in the event of a disaster, so it needs to be handled quickly and easily. It does not require mechanical technology or bacterial treatment, basically manages it with our own power. Regulations in disaster areas in Japan, you need to do your own thing.

This toilet kit is provided only as a toilet. For that reason, excrement collected in bags has been developed as a "REVERSER" special instrument for sewage to sewer manholes and flush toilets. In the event of a disaster, we can not use the water service, so we solidify it with coagulant and incinerate it.

I would like Wikipedia to add photos.

Sincerely yours.
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Shingo,

A warm welcome to you in Japan! We hear very little from Japanese contributors on the forum here, so I am glad that you have found us! (We only have 17 SuSanA members in Japan. :ohmy: Is that mainly due to language barrier?)

Could you tell us more about these make-shift toilets used during trail running races? What is in the tents exactly, it looks like simple bucket toilets? With or without urine diversion? How do you manage that the buckets get emptied in time before they overflow?

Have you installed your tent toilets during any emergencies yet?

Would you like to add one of your photos to the Wikipedia article on emergency sanitation?: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_sanitation
This can easily be done if they are your photos and you are willing to share them under and open access licence.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• tamagawacraft
    Topic Author

Emergency sanitation in Japan - manhole toilets and toilets for wilderness races

Hello! I will post from Japan for the first time.
Trail running races are also important for the training of Emergency Sanitation.
Attachments:

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds