Treating pharmaceuticals in the toilet bowl before they get flushed away (product from Sweden)

Page selection:
  • annikanordin

Re: Treating pharmaceuticals in the toilet bowl before they get flushed away

Hi,

on the pharem homepage ( www.pharem.se/2018/01/11/uppfoljning-pa-...vecklingen-av-pcure/ ) there are some more indepth info about the tests (to be found trough the blue links in the text) but to my knowledge there is not yet any peer reviewed publications about the product.

regards

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

That's a really interesting concept. Why would any customer pay for it though, unless it is either extremely cheap, smells good, or the person has a really high level of environmental awareness and wants to contribute to society. Would be really interesting to find out more. If it worked then perhaps one day it is made mandatory by the local water authorities that everyone has that in their toilet bowl, including inspectors who will go around to check. (??)
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Marijn Zandee
  • No longer working in WASH, but still following the forum.

Dear Arno,

Thanks for posting. I hope your back will get better soon.

The list of pharmaceuticals they claim their products destroys is quite geared up for a typical "Western/Northern" medical diet I would say. It would be interesting to know if their enzymes are also functional against some f the antibiotics that are so commonly over-prescribed in South Asia (Ciprofloxacin, Metronidazole, etc.).
Marijn Zandee

E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• arno
    Topic Author
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Treating pharmaceuticals in the toilet bowl before they get flushed away

Due to a slipped vertebral disc I am forced to consume large amounts of pharmaceuticals to manage pain. I discovered that a Swedish company has produced a product that hangs on the inside of the toilet bowl and delivers for each flush an amount of "enzymes" (not described in the product description) that break down persistent drugs like antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, analgesics, hormones, etc. The idea is that the "enzyme" mix is flushed into the bowl before one urinates or defecates. The drugs are then "attacked" before being flushed into the environment. There are no instructions as to how many minutes one needs to wait before flushing to ensure degradation. Sounds like a great idea if it works. I have requested some published data. Wondering how persistent the enzymes themselves are. Sewage treatment plants are experimenting with ozone and peroxide to breakdown pharmaceuticals (and probably everything else that can be oxidized).

The product "pCure" is described here www.pcure.se/en

Has anyone encountered a similar product or can contribute to this discussion?

Regards
Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org
The following user(s) like this post: Marijn Zandee

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds