Calculate the size for a double vault toilet to be installed on a public beach? (composting toilet)

Page selection:
  • csk
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

Re: Calculate the size for a double vault toilet to be installed on a public beach? (composting toilet)

Hi Bjorn,

Do you mean this kind of toilet? see the picture. 

we have construction standard for double vault toilet in China. For instance, in north China, 2 L/cap/day, and in south China 3L/cap/day. Plus 1/3 spare room, the front vault should have a least storage of 30 days. 

Kind regards

Shikun CHENG
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: HarryTams

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • fppirco
  • I am independent EH&S researcher in natural resources recovery ,water,wastewater,agro_food ...fields.

Re: Calculate the size for a double vault toilet to be installed on a public beach? (composting toilet)

Hi

you can use of standard WHO guidelines about this issue from this below link:

www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/publ...ation-and-health/en/

and also please find attached  fact sheet annex WHO guideline in sanitation and public health

regards

Mohammad
Researcher and consultant
Attachments:

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Bjorn,

I don't have any answers for you but I am bringing this thread back to the top because it would be a pity if you got no answer. 
I have also moved it to the sub-category of "composting toilets". There have been several threads on composting toilets in public spaces in our forum but you have probably already browsed them already.

My gut feeling is that you wouldn't adjust the size of the vaults but just use a "standard" size and then adjust the number of toilets to the number of users so that there are no queues during peak times. Or am I wrong?

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. Somebody might respond with the statement that we shouldn't call them "composting toilets". So to pre-empt that, I am linking to our long existing thread on that topic here
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• monopopologo
    Topic Author
  • Ecosan developer on the Colombian Caribbean coast

Calculate the size for a double vault toilet to be installed on a public beach? (composting toilet)

Good day and a happy Sunday to all of you here on the susana forum. I am trying to calculate the size for a double vault toilet to be installed on a public beach that's open to a public of 250-300/day from 8am till 4pm. Because it's for the government and for the general public it has to be with disabled access etc. I don't want UDDT because I find that in public facilities with people that are not used to UD, they tend to fill the diverter with cover material, leading to frequent smelly situations and cleaning jobs that nobody wants to carry out.
So I'm pretty much decided on the system I want to present but I cant find formulas anywhere to calculate the number of toilets I need. Does anyone have any experience installing composting toilets in public spaces? Thank you!
I have been living off grid for the last 9 years, 4 of which without electricity and only recently we got satellite internet. I have been playing around with batch composting toilets and have developed a very well working system. The manual and building plans are distributed for free, we give also free workshops and technical assistance to communities in Colombia.

the manual you can find here: docs.google.com/document/d/1rqr1AbMgsU3v...b20/edit?usp=sharing

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds