An ArborLoo of largely recycled materials

Page selection:
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: An ArborLoo of largely recycled materials

That looks very much like the emergency type latrines we build in Pakistan. In fact at a later point I also tried to introduce the ArborLoo concept there ;)

However the results were very mixed, and most of these broke down too quickly. We never did a detailed assessment why, but my guess is that due to low acceptance people didn't treat them very well.

Why low acceptance? Well for one they were seen as too temporary and I even heard reports of them being dismanteled/destroyed on purpose to get a more stable one from other aid organisations. Another reasons we were told is that in the Winter they were to flimsy and more importantly in the summer too hot inside (people are used to cooler brick/concrete buildings and these acted more like greenhouses).

Besides that, due to relative high prices of both the plastic sheeting and especially the wood frame (not too much forests in Pakistan) they were not very economical compared to their perceived value.

For ArborLoo type toilets we then experimented with thin ferrocement walled superstructures that could be easily dismantled and reassembled on the new hole. But they proved to be still very heavy and personally I have my doubts that this worked well either in the long run.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • canaday
    Topic Author
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

An ArborLoo of largely recycled materials

Hi everyone,

I just posted on my blog a new, very simple way to make an ArborLoo, in part using redirected post-consumer "waste", to reduce the cost and the ecological footprint :cheer:

inodoroseco.blogspot.com/

All comments and suggestions would be very welcome.
Please let me know how this model gets used and adapted.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds