13th SuSanA meeting will be held in Kigali, Rwanda

16.8k views

Page selection:
  • tmsinnovation
  • I manage the Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project) and previously coordinated the Climate-friendly sanitation services in peri-urban areas of Lusaka project in Zambia. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

Re: 13th SuSanA meeting will be held in Kigali, Rwanda

Hi all

I watched all 5 presentations yesterday and found the viewing experience very enjoyable. Although I was not at the 13th meeting, just watching the presentations gave me a sense of what it was like at the meeting. I would say that going forward recording presentations and making them available online is an extremely good media channel to disseminate knowledge. In addition when the presentations are also available in pdf and ppt as is the case on SuSanA, the viewer can also read the slides prior or after watching the presentation, which further enriches the learning experience.

Lastly I agree with Dorothee in that one should be careful not to spend too much time on video editing.

Rgds
Trevor
Trevor Surridge
Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project)
Project Manager

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Shmeisani,
Amman
Jordan

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Doreen

I think its very important for people who are not able to attend the meetings to have the possibility to watch what was discussed. You get more detailed information and have a better sense of the atmosphere there. If possible, please do film in the next SuSanA meetings. It is also always nice to see some of the SuSanA members! I also agree with Dorothee that you dont have to spend so much time editing.

Best regards

Doreen
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• dorothee.spuhler
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Elisabeth, Philipp and all,
I think these video presentations can be very useful! (If you want to see it again, like Philipp; if you could not attend and want to know what was presented; when you come across the video because you have been googling for a specific topic; etc.).
But you should avoid having too much work with it. It think: editing is not worth it (unless it is a special video such as the one from the wrap up); you should just choose the 'best of'; you still can indicate on the page where de PDF presentations can be downloaded, that the videos of particular sessions can be asked at the secretariat)
Best Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• philfei
    Topic Author

Dear Elisabeth and all,

it is so easy, just copy the URL of a Youtube Video to your posting and the big thumbnail will be generated automatically.

Regarding your second question: I am also quite interested if people like to watch these videos. For me it was nice to watch some of the presentations again, because I saw them live in Kigali. But how is it to watch it if you did not attend the meeting?

Looking forward to your comments.

Best regards from Harare,
Philipp

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Thanks! How did you get these big thumbnails into the posting? Does that work by taking a different URL from Youtube?

Question to all: Are you finding such filmed presentations useful? Personally, I like them, to see how someone presents and talks. But others may find them too "boring" to watch, as they are not edited (??). Please give us some feedback so that we know if we should bother with putting more online (we have filmed every presenter at the Kigali meeting but have so far selected only 5 just to keep our workload manageable) and if we should film again at the next SuSanA meeting.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• philfei
    Topic Author

Dear all,

there are five excellent presentations held at the 13th SuSanA meeting in Kigali online available as video clips on Youtube:

Madeleine Fogde (SEI, Sweden): Introduction to the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance

Jack Sim (WTO, Singapore) on sanitation as business

Elisabeth von Münch (GIZ, Germany): Recent work of SuSanA secretariat

Chris Buckley (UKZN, South Africa) Update on sustainable sanitation activities in Durban

Annie Kanyemba (Aquamor): Recent studies on Menstrual Management for school girls in Zimbabwe

• philfei
    Topic Author

Are you interested in a brief overview of the 13th SuSanA meeting in Kigali? Check out the video of the closing session:

• tmsinnovation
  • I manage the Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project) and previously coordinated the Climate-friendly sanitation services in peri-urban areas of Lusaka project in Zambia. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

Hi All

All the presentations have now been uploaded to the 13th SuSanA meeting in Kigali page on the SuSanA website, so please go and check out the many interesting presentations that you may have not managed to see!

Here is the link: www.susana.org/lang-en/meetings/july-2011-kigali-no-13

All the best!
Trevor Surridge
Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project)
Project Manager

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Shmeisani,
Amman
Jordan

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dorothee: Yes, I think we can put anything related to the 13th SuSanA meeting here for now.

Last night, I read through the feedback sheets. The following came out:
Positives:
- Almost everyone ticked the boxes excellent or very good for the overall assessment!
- They enjoyed the relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
- They liked the variety of topics and learnt a lot, most people liked the working groups.
- Some people said the presentations were too short.
- Some people particularly liked that the venue was a university (not a hotel).

Negatives:
- Many people said there was too much time for discussions. The meeting should be longer (2-3 days) or there should be less/fewer powerpoint presentations.
- There were too many presentantations, and it wasn't interactive enough.
- Some people said that some of the presentations were too long.
- Some people did not like the venue and would have preferred a hotel type venue (more fancy), a few people said they missed having internet access. Some people said they would have preferred a more centrally located venue.
- Some people remarked that the translations on Monday were good, but missed the translations on the Sunday. More French documents should be provided.

We will take these into consideration for organising the next SuSanA meeting(s)! It is always difficult to limit the number of presentations because there is so much interesting stuff going on... (just as well Kamal Kar and the Minister of Health didn't make it - that really would have blown out the program! :-) )

If you have more feedback to add, please put it here. Let's discuss - here we have the time...

I am leaving Kigali tonight. Looking forward to today's field trip!

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• dorothee.spuhler
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Thanks, it was pleasure! Will do so (for the account on what was presented) – in what category should I post that? Just here?
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Elisabeth

Dear Dorothee,
You ran a great working group meeting today under difficult circumstances (2 WG meetings in the same room!) - well done and thank you!
It's a shame that there was little room for discussion in the end (totally not your fault), but I hope this can now occur on the discussion forum instead.

Maybe you could give a short account on what was presented. I only half caught the presentations in the WG 1 meeting because I was running in and out organising stuff. That presentation from the media person seemed very interesting.

Cheers,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Located in Ulm, Germany

• dorothee.spuhler

NEW agenda from the 14th of July... Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds