Hacking Toilets?!!! (sanitation hackathon, sanitation-related Apps for Smartphones)

59.4k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Sanitation-related Apps for Smartphones

Dear all,

I recently came across this nice little factsheet (thanks to the e-mails by WASHplus weekly) and thought it fits well into this thread where we discussed the Sanitation hackathons and mobile phone apps for sanitation in the past:

A Brief Overview of Sanitation App Developments, by Marie-Alix Prat and Sophie Trémolet (2013). (www.shareresearch.org/LocalResources/Not...f_apps_June_2013.pdf)

This note gives an overview of the types of apps (mainly prototypes) that have been developed so far in the sanitation sector and identifies the need for further development of ICT tools.

I also created a separate thread for the suite of apps called "Sanitation Investment Tracker" here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/62-wg-...old-level-sanitation

This thread which was originally called "Hacking Toilets" is by the way our number 2 thread (20,303 views so far)! It was located under "Events" until now, but I have now moved it to here under "Working Group 9 on business and awareness creation". Not sure if it fits perfectly into this category either and am open for better suggestions. We may need a new sub-category on ITC tools one day if that topic proves to be popular (ITC = Information and Communications Technology).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: Hacking Toilets?!!!

Vote for your favorite app!

You can also vote through Twitter !
Send a tweet containing the #SanHack hashtag and the hashtag of your favorite app and help them win!

For further information click here .

Kind regards,
SuSanA secretariat.
[posted by Agazi Medhanie]
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

Attachments:

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Sorry, no idea. Just happend to come accross it while looking for funding opportunities for the Ugandan NGO network I work with. And while this doesn't fit to our profile, I though someone here might be interested.

• jkeichholz

@JKMakowka: thx! Do you know who the person/org behind the Gadfly Project? Because it doesn't provide much info on the website and I would still prefer to have a real contact before I submit anything. I've also seen it here www.idealist.org/view/program/K6MCjCpJF7mD/

@jonpar: Thx! Let's just do this sanitation map in 2013. I won't wait for any donor to sponsor it, even though I'd love to see support from their side (even afterwards, maybe). The problem really only is about creating a site that not only maps something, but also offers an export of data for further use. And then of course the data needs to be crowdsourced. I really like your idea that it should not only include sustainable sanitation projects, but also conventional infrastructure. It's surprising that we still don't have such a mapping solution available online.
Juergen Eichholz
watsan eng.
water, sanitation, IT & knowledge management
www.saniblog.org

Toilets in Frankfurt/Main www.facebook.com/ffmtoi

• jonpar
  • As part of the Engineering team, my role at IMC is to lead on the delivery of projects requiring specific expertise on urban sanitation (including excreta/waste/wastewater/stormwater management) focusing on technical, institutional and financial aspects in project design and implementation.

Dear Juergen, that's an excellent thought provoking comment (time to open a can of worms perhaps?).. and I also an excellent idea...sorry not to have got back to you since we discussed Sanimap with Trevor. Perhaps Trevor could give us an update from his side where this is something that SuSanA can invest some time/resources into. From IWA side, I am keen to see this move forward as I think it is a good way for people to see what is going on in different parts of the world. I think the data requirements to upload information about projects should be light so that it is easy to use and then it is possible to upload addition reports and supporting information etc. best regards, Jonathan
Dr. Jonathan Parkinson
Principal Consultant – Water and Sanitation
IMC Worldwide Ltd, Redhill, United Kingdom
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

As a follow up for organizations wishing to further develop their tools:

www.camp.thegadflyproject.org/grant.htm

A small funding opportunity for web based geo applications.

• LydiaH
  • I'm an intern at GIZ Maroc and work for the Program AGIRE and in particular for the Project PNAR (Programme National d'Assainissement et de Réutilisation en Milieu Rural)

Hi All,

what I found concerning the SanHac is an AUDIO from Nick Dickinson about a Financial app that would set sanitation cost benchmarks. His solution to the worldwide sanitation crisis can be checked out under the following link:

www.trust.org/alertnet/blogs/technotalk/...ion-cost-benchmarks/

Looking forward to what you think of it. Hopefully there are some more great ideas!

Regards,

Lydia
Attachments:

• tmsinnovation
  • I manage the Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project) and previously coordinated the Climate-friendly sanitation services in peri-urban areas of Lusaka project in Zambia. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

All those that participated in the SanHac (sanitation hackathon) please do share what you got up during the Hackathon here on the SuSanA forum!

I am sure the SuSanA community is really keen to see what you guys developed in such a short period of time.

Looking forward to some interesting feedback! ;)
Trevor Surridge
Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project)
Project Manager

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Shmeisani,
Amman
Jordan

• Catalina

hi, I am Catalina and I work with ToiletHackers (www.toilethackers.org). Is there anyone interested in joining the SanHack through this forum over the weekend?
How can we link people at the Hackathon sites with this forum?

If anyone is interested in joining either on site or virtually contact me This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I am going to be based at the NYC site.
Catalina Spinel

• steve4real
  • Sanitation Steve

What if the ToiletDashboard had a geo-spatial component?
Stephen Sauder, M.Sc., M.A., B.A
Project Manager | Reinvent the Toilet
Centre for Global Engineering, University of Toronto
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• jkeichholz

@Elisabeth: smartphone compatibility could be achieved by a) a mobile template for this Kunena forum, e.g. www.mobilejoomla.com/extension/kunena-mobile-joomla-extension or b) an app like Tapatalk which is already compatible with Kunena and available for various mobile platforms (iOS, Android, BB).

@Steve: The ToiletDashboard sounds sexy indeed. I am afraid this will all depend on the quantity and quality of data though, at least for developing countries.

The idea we had in mind with sanimap is to have a similar world wide map that would display sanitation-related infrastructure and provide some exportable data tables.
Juergen Eichholz
watsan eng.
water, sanitation, IT & knowledge management
www.saniblog.org

Toilets in Frankfurt/Main www.facebook.com/ffmtoi

• tmsinnovation
  • I manage the Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project) and previously coordinated the Climate-friendly sanitation services in peri-urban areas of Lusaka project in Zambia. My background is in Management, Economics and Information Systems.

Hi All

A few quick ideas:
  • An app to map public toilets in the world.
  • An app to map missing toilets in the world.
  • An app to map broken toilets in the world.
  • An app to map outstanding toilets in the world.
  • An app that does all of the above.
Would it not be great if when any of us in the SuSanA community were on our travels, in our communities or doing our work, we could quickly and easily make a quick note on the location of any of the above. True crowd-sourcing. The level of detail should initially be kept simple, for ease of entry, but once such an initiative gains momentum the next step of interpreting and using the gathered information could be taken.

Just a little spontaneous brainstorming.

Rgds
Trevor
Trevor Surridge
Decentralized Wastewater Management for Adaptation to Climate Change in Jordan (ACC Project)
Project Manager

Deutsche Gesellschaft für
Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Ministry of Water and Irrigation, Shmeisani,
Amman
Jordan

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds