Habitat III Conference: 17-20 October 2016, Quito, Ecuador (New Urban Agenda) with feedback

Page selection:
  • LucyStevens

Re: Habitat III: 17 - 20 October 2016, Quito (New Urban Agenda and events)

Hi all

Just adding one more Sanitation-related event.

Practical Action has been awarded a slot for a side event at the very last moment.

Title: Slum Dwellers, Youth, city-wide planning and accelerating urban service delivery
Date: Wednesday 19th, 9:30-10:30 am

I will be talking about a 4-year project that we've just completed in South Asia which worked on empowering slum dwellers, helping them engage in a sustained way with local authorities, and work in practical ways together on improved services including sanitation.

Colleagues from the Bartlett Centre, DPU in London will talk about work they have done together with us in Kisumu, Kenya, looking at improving water services, and some of the challenges in terms of inequalities of supply that unexpectedly came about.

Finally, colleagues from World Vision International will talk about engaging youth and working with waste pickers in Brazil.

Hope this will be of interest, so do come along if you are in Quito.

Thanks so much for pulling together other sanitation-related events. Very helpful. The programme is quite a struggle to navigate with so many things going on.

Best wishes, Lucy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Re: Habitat III: 17 - 20 October 2016, Quito (Agreed Draft of the New Urban Agenda and events)

Dear Cecilia and everyone,

Thank you for this information, although it is frustrating that there are so many events and so little coordination among them. It is also not clear where the locations of these events are (German Pavilion, Exhibition B 27, etc.).

I was invited to talk about Innovations for Ecological Sanitation in High-rise Buildings at a Forum on Sustainable Sanitation on the afternoon of Wednesday, October 19, 2:30-5:00 p.m., at the Catholic University (not far north of the Casa de la Cultura, HQ of H3), which conflicts with two of the events you mention.

Chris Buckley, Stefan Reuter, Andres Alvarado, and Nicolas Salmon will also be speaking at this event. According to current plans, I will be giving my talk in Spanish.

Here is the schedule of this Sustainable Sanitation Forum:
inodoroseco.blogspot.com/2016/10/foro-so...o-sostenible-en.html

Another copy of the same on a different webpage:
media.wix.com/ugd/a488b6_a3882982ee164ce6845b38c58190fd1f.pdf

Here it is again in Facebook, for those who would like to help us publicize it by "sharing":
www.facebook.com/shares/view?id=10153956..._id=1476365079668387

Everyone is invited. It should prove to be interesting, as we will be talking about realistic, practical options.

At the end of Wednesday, I will be traveling back to the Omaere Ethnobotanical Park (omaere.wordpress.com) in Puyo (5 hours SE of Quito, in the Amazon), where everyone is welcome to come to see our UDDTs and to discuss Sustainable Sanitation.

I would like to recommend that someone print up flyers with all of these Sustainable Sanitation events and hand these out to interested persons during H3.

It would have been excellent to have all of the Sustainable Sanitation events in the same place, one of the other. Maybe they can all be videoed and uploaded to Youtube.

Thanks and best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• CeciliaRodrigues
    Topic Author

Re: Habitat III: 17 - 20 October 2016, Quito (Agreed Draft of the New Urban Agenda and events)

Hi Chris,

The events are a bit scattered. I compiled a a flyer with some of the eventas that I managed to collect (also pasted below). I hope this helps!

Thank you very much for the invitation. I have to say that it is very tempting the idea of visiting the Omaere Ethnobotanical Park in Puyo, but I am afraid it won't be possible this time. I am arriving on Sunday and flying back to Germany on Saturday. I will keep this in mind for next time I am in Ecuador!

@Lucy and Chris, I am looking forward to catching up with you!

Kind regards,
Cecilia.
Programme Officer at GIZ - Sustainable Sanitation Programme
and the SuSanA Secretariat
Attachments:

• KimAndersson
  • Senior Expert at SEI working on sustainable sanitation, integrated water management and resource recovery

Dear all,
We now have information about the side-event on 'Sustainable Sanitation - a key for healthy and wealthy cities of the future' .

It will be an interactive session convened by Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA) Secretariat, Stockholm Environmental Institute (SEI), BORDA (Bremen Overseas Research and Development Association)

Sunday 16 October 2016
05:00 p.m. - 05:45 p.m.
German Pavilion (E 118)

See flyer for more information.
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

If you are at Habitat III, please join us and involve in an interesting discussion!

Hope to meet some of you soon.

All the best,
Kim
Kim Andersson
Stockholm Environment Institute
Postbox 24218,104 51 Stockholm, Sweden
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: CeciliaRodrigues

• canaday

Dear Cecilia,

Are there webpages about the events at Habitat III that you mention?

Once again, I invite participants to come to Puyo after the conference to see, use and analyze sustainable sanitation.

¿Qué opinan de las sugerencias para saneamiento sostenible que adjunté al mensaje anterior?

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• LucyStevens

I will be attending Habitat 3 on behalf of Practical Action along with our Policy Director Astrid Walker-Bourne and four colleagues from our Latin America office. We submitted applications with us as the lead agency as well as being part of other bids, and have not heard the final outcome of any of those (although I am now assuming we have not been successful). I have chased with anyone I can find and think of, by the way. In any case, I am looking forward to catching up with those of you who will be there, and attending the various events relevant to urban sanitation. Thanks! Lucy Stevens, Practical Action
The following user(s) like this post: canaday

• canaday

Dear Cecilia, Antonio and everyone,

I live in Ecuador and am available to participate in sustainable sanitation events during Habitat III, especially if they are hands-on and practical. I would also like to invite participants to visit our UDDTs in the Omaere Ethnobotanical Park in Puyo (5 hours by bus from Quito; omaere.wordpress.com) or in other places where we have built in Ecuador.

There is a whole village being built to demonstrate sustainability, but it seems that no sustainable sanitation is included there.

I think this would be a great opportunity to call attention to the possibility of applying sustainable sanitation in the reconstruction of the earthquake zone on the coast of Ecuador (especially water and sanitation in this area has always been anything but sustainable). I attach my suggestions on this in Spanish, which could mostly be applied anywhere. In this document, I include the concept of Closed-loop Flushwater Recycling:

forum.susana.org/forum/categories/40-gre...ructed-wetland#11393

Is there a summary of practical measures to increase sustainability of sanitation in the conference document that will be signed? From my brief look at it, it looks like everyone simply agrees that everything should be beautiful.

Please let me know how I can help.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

This message has an attachment file.

The following user(s) like this post: Sowmya

• secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Hola a todos,

Aquí se encuentra el enlace con el diseño de la “New Urban Agenda”, cuál se adoptará en la Habitat 3 conferencia en Quito, Ecuador, el mes de octubre: Agreed Draft of the New Urban Agenda

Para quien quiera entender el proceso más en detalle, recomiendo este artículo publicado en Habitat X Change .

Si planea en asistir la conferencia, por favor avísennos. Actualmente estamos informados de los siguientes eventos:

Intersections: Bringing together necessary elements for Inclusive, Sustainable Sanitation Strategies in Cities
Conveners: IHC - Global Coalition for Inclusive Housing and Sustainable Cities; Habitat for Humanity (HFH); Global Communities; Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; International City Managers Association (ICMA); SuSanA
On 19 October 2016 (Wed.)
04:30 p.m. - 06:30 p.m.
Room MR17

Sustainable Sanitation – a key for healthy and wealthy cities of the future
Conveners: Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA) Secretariat, Stockholm Environmental Institute (SEI), BORDA (Bremen Overseas Research and Development Association)
at the German Pavilion (fecha y hora aún no afirmados)

Además estamos juntando interesados para un WG 6 exchange informal. Les pido que nos ayuden a distribuir esta información y que nos contacten, si tienen interés en participar.

Atentamente,
Antonio

Antonio Seoane Dominguez
on behalf of the SuSanA Secretariat
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Eschborn, Germany

Follow SuSanA on: www.susana.org, www.facebook.com/susana.org, forum.susana.org
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

• CeciliaRodrigues
    Topic Author

Dear all,

here is the link to the recently agreed daft of the New Urban Agenda, which will be adopted next month in Quito at the Habitat 3 conference: Agreed Draft of the New Urban Agenda

For the ones that would like to understand more the process, I can recommend the article at the newsletter published Habitat X Change .

If you are planning to join the conference, please drop a line. At the moment I am aware of the following events:

Intersections: Bringing together necessary elements for Inclusive, Sustainable Sanitation Strategies in Cities
Conveners: IHC - Global Coalition for Inclusive Housing and Sustainable Cities; Habitat for Humanity (HFH); Global Communities; Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; International City Managers Association (ICMA); SuSanA
On 19 October 2016 (Wed.)
04:30 p.m. - 06:30 p.m.
Room MR17

Sustainable Sanitation – a key for healthy and wealthy cities of the future
Conveners: Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA) Secretariat, Stockholm Environmental Institute (SEI), BORDA (Bremen Overseas Research and Development Association)
at the German Pavilion (date and time to be confirmed)

I am also gathering interested people for an informal WG 6 exchange. Help to spread the word and please reach out, if you're one of them!

Kind regards,
Cecilia.
The following user(s) like this post: Sowmya

• CeciliaRodrigues
    Topic Author

Habitat III Conference: 17-20 October 2016, Quito, Ecuador (New Urban Agenda) with feedback

Hi all,

The UN-Conference Habitat 3 will take place this year in Quito from 17 – 20 October. A consultation process for the New Urban Agenda has been going on for a while and a revised zero draft was published on 18 June 2016. I am attaching the pdf here for your reference, in which I highlighted the excerpts that address sanitation. In general lines, I tend to think that sanitation is underrepresented as an important aspect of urban development.

I am also attaching to this post the Issue Papers n.18 on Urban Infrastructure and Basic Services, Including Energy (from 31.05.2015), in which SuSanA is acknowledged and the Policy Paper n.9 on Urban Services and Technologies.

Side events and Networking events

The call for applications to host networking and side events was reopened and the new deadline is 30 June 2016. The results will be communicated by 5 August 2016.

More information about the conference can be found here: www.habitat3.org/

I will be happy to hear if your organization is planning an event or intends to be there.

Kind regards,
Cecilia.

This message has attachments files.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds