Integrating Climate Resilience in (national) Sanitation and Hygiene Strategy and Plans - looking for resources and experience

16.3k views

Page selection:
  • F H Mughal
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Re: Integrating Climate Resilience in (national) Sanitation and Hygiene Strategy and Plans - looking for resources and experience

Dear Peter,

The attached IRC publication would be useful to you.

Enjoy!

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • denniskl
  • Working on creating shared solutions for common problems

Re: Integrating Climate Resilience in (national) Sanitation and Hygiene Strategy and Plans - looking for resources and experience

Hi Chris

Love the simple UDDT design at the links (am going to build out a few for the experience:) but I think it will need the inclusion of the "frills" - seat, privacy structure, etc - to make it more acceptable to users

Otherwise it looks like a temporary "thing" that I think permanent residents will balk at (even now, a lot of the trouble with UDDT's seems to be the perception of them being inferior to a flush sewer or septic tank toilet - again, the marketing needs to be better!)

Great concept though - cheap, easy to make, easy to manage, but people being people, marketing and packaging is what will get them to aspire to it (and therefore want it and use it)
Creator of the RealChange Global Impact Fund and MCM GREENMAN GROUP

Solving housing quality , power reliability, water supply and sanitation management in developing countries with private sector impact investors money

Philosophy

* See a problem.
* Make sure it's the real problem (by talking to the people with the problem).
* Find people who are solving this problem somewhere in the world and collaborate - and learn from them to solve the problem
OR
* Create a new solution where none exists
* Find passionate people who care about the problem to help implement solutions

Our solution approach - what's yours?

Dennis McMahon
From Australia; based in Malaysia
www.mcmgreenmangroup.com (R & D and project implementation)

www.RealChangeImpact.com

Funding from the private sector, giving market level returns
The following user(s) like this post: pjbury

• canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Hi Peter,

Thanks for posting this very important topic that needs much more attention. It would be great for someone to do a thesis to bring together all the numbers on this, but it is clear the UDDTs have much to offer. In the following text from my blog, I mention some of the factors involved.

----
inodoroseco.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-dry...weapon-to-fight.html

The Dry Toilet as a Weapon to Fight
Global Climate Disruption

We are all becoming more and more aware that our world's climate is getting messed up. It is not raining when, where and how it should ... and it is all due to what the human species has done, burning petroleum, burning forests, grazing cattle, and defecating in the water.

You may not have known about that last one, but it is a bigger factor than you may think.
Urine-diverting Dry Toilets (www.ecosanres.org, www.susana.org) have much to offer:

--If we mix everything in water, it ferments in the absence of oxygen and produces large amounts of Methane (Greenhouse Gas #2).
--The urine goes as straight as possible to the soil as fertilizer, thus keeping the feces drier and these also get covered in an absorbant dry material, like soil or wood ash. Some CO2 is produced as they decompose, but the plants that are fertilized absorb more CO2.
--Water consumption is greatly reduced and this almost always has petroleum or electricity invested in its pumping and treatment.
--The need for chemical fertilizers is greatly reduced, and these are responsable for emitting Nitrous Oxide (Greenhouse Gas #3) in their production and use. (And, of course, we have to start forgetting about chemical fertilizers, as they are all non-renewable resources.)
--We sequester carbon into the soil, improving its water-holding capacity.
--Less cement would be needed to build sewers.

It is clear that water scarcity will intensify with Global Climate Disruption and the spread of disease will become more unpredictable (class.coursera.org/warmerworld-001/lecture/41). So this is all the more reason to resolve our own problems productively, on our own, instead of dumping them into the global atmosphere.

----

The UDDT a key tool for adapting to ever scarcer water.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
The following user(s) like this post: KaiMikkel

• denniskl
  • Working on creating shared solutions for common problems

Hi Peter

Interesting topic but I am not quite clear about what you are looking for.

By "Climate Resilient Development" are you raising design questions regarding sanitation systems that can be fortified / protected against climate change impacts?
Creator of the RealChange Global Impact Fund and MCM GREENMAN GROUP

Solving housing quality , power reliability, water supply and sanitation management in developing countries with private sector impact investors money

Philosophy

* See a problem.
* Make sure it's the real problem (by talking to the people with the problem).
* Find people who are solving this problem somewhere in the world and collaborate - and learn from them to solve the problem
OR
* Create a new solution where none exists
* Find passionate people who care about the problem to help implement solutions

Our solution approach - what's yours?

Dennis McMahon
From Australia; based in Malaysia
www.mcmgreenmangroup.com (R & D and project implementation)

www.RealChangeImpact.com

Funding from the private sector, giving market level returns

• pjbury
    Topic Author
  • independent consultant WASH | Strategic Development Planning | KM4Dev | Capacity Development

Integrating Climate Resilience in (national) Sanitation and Hygiene Strategy and Plans - looking for resources and experience

Dear all

This is one of my first questions to the forum since I joined in 2012.
I'm working on Climate Resilient Development in the WASH sector, more in particular on providing principles based but practical guidance at national strategy and planning level (also there where this level guides decentralized levels).

I'm not sure I have categorized my question in the best possible way, as yes this is about building resilience and risk assessment based vulnerability reduction. I would have expected a category about national sector management including strategy and planning, but it seems that category is not available.

Question:

I'd like to get in touch with those of you working in the same field and be pointed to relevant resources, experiences, documentation and conversations.

Look forward to read reactions.

Greetings from near Bologna, Peter J. Bury (former IRC International Water and Sanitation)
Peter J. Bury
The following user(s) like this post: susu

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds