I need Training and sensitisation exercises to use in school for a Squat UDDT that is also large container based system

• AaronTanner
    Topic Author

I need Training and sensitisation exercises to use in school for a Squat UDDT that is also large container based system

Dear all

I am working in PNG and have found some schools where some UDDT Toilets have been installed They are squat pan toilets pee forward or in urinals and poo in the hole behind. Poo is a container-based collection and dry matter needs to be added to work properly and reduce odors.

Of course, the toilets are poorly maintained and mis-used.

I need to intervene quickly with some A grade Session/lesson plans of activities that I can canabalise ort use off the shelf for
1. the teachers to use with the students to teach them proper use.
2. To teach Teachers and the PTA how to maintain the toilets

All inputs welcomed

Just an FYI I am going to have the containers removed and sit for 8 months to pasteurise in the sun and reduce pathogens- as setting up any meaningful FSM business is not appropriate in this rural environment and with how much time I have to support.
You need to login to reply
  • muench
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer)

Re: I need Training and sensitisation exercises to use in school for a Squat UDDT that is also large container based system

Dear Aaron,

Welcome to the SuSanA forum and sorry that your first post didn't yield any responses yet! I hope you didn't get disheartened, sometimes it is a matter of luck who spots a post first and has time to reply to it.
I am guessing that in the meantime you either found some training materials or made some up yourself?

We actually have loads of materials (posters, flyers, factsheets, photos, videos etc.) about how UDDTs should be used properly. Did you find them in the meantime in the SuSanA library? Here: www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...publications/library
Just use the filters on the left of the page to filter by technology and type of resource. UDDTs and container-based systems are very popular with many of the long-standing SuSanA members so if you have particular questions, please don't hesitate to ask (and this time you're likely to get answers faster).

By the way, I can't imagine that placing barrels with faeces in the sun for 6 months will do very much in terms of pathogen kill. You'd probably have to spread it out to get the drying effect throughout. But I'd say rather focus on what you want to do with the material and then decide how much pathogen kill you need. For example, if it's not going to be used as fertiliser, you could just bury it under around 30 cm of soil, and not worry that much abour the remaining pathogens. What's happening with the urine at this site?

Is this project funded by a donor or is it something that the PNG government has set up itself?

Regards,
Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum via SEI project ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
E-mail me to get involved: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.744 seconds