Brainteaser Alert! How many urban public toilets are there, globally? how many are needed by 2030?

Page selection:
  • Carol McCreary
  • I'm a volunteer at PHLUSH (Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human) www.phlush.org

Re: Brainteaser Alert! How many urban public toilets are there, globally? how many are needed by 2030?

Hi Rachel,

Have you seen the integrated content page on "Public Sanitation"? www.susana.org/en/community/integrated-c...nt/public-sanitation Developed for India's National Urban Sanitation Policy by Ministry of Urban Development and GIZ, there are tools for demand assessment and planning.
There are a couple of good works on urban policy and planning whose authors might have what you need. Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out.
Carol
Carol McCreary
Public Hygiene Lets Us Stay Human (PHLUSH)
1240 W. Sims Way #59, Port Townsend, Washington 98368 USA

Toilet availability is a human right and well-designed sanitation systems restore health to our cities, our waters and our soils.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • rachelredthread
  • Topic Author

Brainteaser Alert! How many urban public toilets are there, globally? how many are needed by 2030?

Greetings. I'm working to develop high level, global estimates for the # of urban public toilets in the world, as well as estimate how many are needed, for use in global advocacy efforts around public, community, and shared toilets. I'm currently looking at different datasets that can be used to estimate today's coverage (e.g. on urban population, growth rates, density, sanitation coverage), and am looking at conditionalities to model what might be needed (e.g. the effect of increased hh sanitation on public toilet use).

I'm looking for examples and case studies from around the world that illustrate the assumptions for public toilets as they are planned and built, with preference for lower income countries. What's the ideal population density needed to support a public toilet in your city? Are the assumptions different based on male/female users? How are public toilets differentiated from businesses being required to provide toilets on site? How do mosques and other religious centers plan for the # of toilets to meet their variable demand?

If the brainteaser compels you, what information and assumptions do you think are essential to answer the question?

More soon...
Rachel
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds