By-laws and ordinances to enforce standards and guidelines for urban areas - question from Uganda

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: By-laws and ordinances to enforce standards and guidelines for urban areas

Hi Christian,

Nice to see you back on the forum! Hope to read more from you in future as your work in Uganda must bring up many interesting problems and solutions. :-)

Kris is right, we had a similar discussion in the thread that he gave you the link to. It was entitled "Monitoring and regulation on-site sanitation - A common problem for local authorities is the effective monitoring of on-site sanitation".

It focused more on the enforcement part - which is probably even harder than setting up the ordinances in the first place. Did you find it useful?

And did you find some suitable examples in the meantime? There's got to be materials from countries like South Africa and Kenya which might have similar context to Uganda?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: By-laws and ordinances to enforce standards and guidelines for urban areas

We discussed something similar here:
forum.susana.org/forum/?view=topic&catid=183&id=21657

• christian.rieck
    Topic Author

By-laws and ordinances to enforce standards and guidelines for urban areas

Hi all,
In my position as technical adviser for GIZ I am currently supporting a city in Uganda on developing a sanitation ordinance (by-law) to enable enforcement of sanitation standards and procedures. The scope of the ordinance is on sewerage and faecal sludge management. Does anyone have good examples of such by-laws and information on how the enforcement works? It is definitly a key-tool for urban authorities to actually deal with sanitation issues on a formal basis.

Best wishes
Christian
GIZ Uganda
Enhanced Water Security and Sanitation (ENWASS)
Sanitation for Millions
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds